ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:51 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

My average training session lasts for 3 hours on average (Olympic lifting). I think it's best for me to consume carbs during a session because I read that it's proven to delay fatigue and prevent performance drop (and perhaps to suppress cortisol secretion). Actually I already did by sipping my 1000cal shake between breaks. I guess that would have already covered my need, but I'm curious if there's any minimum recommended dose.

How much do you think someone should ingest carbs in a prolonged resistance training session? Can a session that lasts for hours deplete your blood glucose so much that it impairs your performance?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:32 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

a hefty protein shake during the workout will probably suffice. You really just need to experiment and see what works for you.

3 hours is a helluva long time, could you try breaking it up into 2 workouts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:19 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

robertscott wrote:
a hefty protein shake during the workout will probably suffice. You really just need to experiment and see what works for you.

I think I'm not that good at judging how my body responds. If my feeling is to be believed, I didn't perform any worse when just taking water during a session. But since I began drinking that 1000cal shake, I've been feeling less sore and recovering better. Maybe it's just the calorie, though that shake actually replaced 2 liters of milk I previously drank.

robertscott wrote:

Unfortunately no because I don't train alone. There are my coach and other lifters.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:48 pm 

I find a ridiculously strong coffee gets me through my sessions, maybe something to consider...

that's awesome you're getting coaching, how long have you been at it and what are your lifts like? I would love to get some Olympic coaching but the only place in Glasgow that does it only coaches youths that are going to compete. At age 26 I've missed the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:16 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

robertscott wrote:
I find a ridiculously strong coffee gets me through my sessions, maybe something to consider...

that's awesome you're getting coaching, how long have you been at it and what are your lifts like? I would love to get some Olympic coaching but the only place in Glasgow that does it only coaches youths that are going to compete. At age 26 I've missed the boat.

I've been only lifting since November last year, and along the way I got a shoulder and recently, groin injury that hampered my progress. I actually have posted my lifts here but here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjFhxEJ5DsE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfoWgU27eGw

It's quite embarrassing really because they are so slow. But now I'm definitely faster, well at least in my mind. They are taken after the shoulder injury so I had to squat jerk. PRs are 70kg snatch and 80kg c&j at 70-71kg BW.

About the age thing, actually I'm at your age! Yes, I think most oly lifters start training at young age, but depending on your location, you may still compete no matter how old you are (26 yo is still quite young to start, of course not to participate in the Olympic). Here weightlifting competitors are limited to 28 years old which sucks bad (and age limit for powerlifting is 38 years old). I can train because both of my coaches basically want to waste their time on me :green: I know that I've been asked several times to move to powerlifting instead because of my age, but why do you want to move a barbell 5 inches (benchpress) when you can throw it overhead instead? :razz:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Paperclip wrote:
robertscott wrote:

I think I'm not that good at judging how my body responds. If my feeling is to be believed, I didn't perform any worse when just taking water during a session. But since I began drinking that 1000cal shake, I've been feeling less sore and recovering better. Maybe it's just the calorie, though that shake actually replaced 2 liters of milk I previously drank.

robertscott wrote:

Unfortunately no because I don't train alone. There are my coach and other lifters.

Paperclip,

"You can train hard or long but NOT both!" Vince Gironda

I don't care how you spin it, a 3 hour training session is idiotic.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:11 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
Paperclip,

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny, they are long mainly because we train in a group so we have to use the equipments in turn. This is an example what I do in a training session:

- snatch
- power clean
- jerks from a standard
- front squat
- press
- back ups
- sit ups

But yeah I admit that there are a bit too many exercises.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paperclip wrote:
Kenny Croxdale wrote:
Paperclip,

Kenny Croxdale

Kenny, they are long mainly because we train in a group so we have to use the equipments in turn. This is an example what I do in a training session:

- snatch
- power clean
- jerks from a standard
- front squat
- press
- back ups
- sit ups

Unless it's just a couple sets of each, or very light, I'd be utterly exhausted after that. A sports drink would definitely hep get you through it. It can help replenish your glycogen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:09 am 

It sounds like your training is arranged for the benefit of the coaches and not the trainees. it would be better to break it into smaller groups and keep them busier for shorter periods. Then they can go do something productive in the time they've saved. They're saving a little bit of coaching effort at the expense of many trainee's time.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:08 am 

Paperclip wrote:
[PRs are 70kg snatch and 80kg c&j at 70-71kg BW.

excellent job on the snatch, looks solid to me although I'm not much of an expert.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Paperclip wrote:
Kenny, they are long mainly because we train in a group so we have to use the equipments in turn.

Paperclip,

Idiotic

As I said, no matter how you spin it, it is idiotic.

I realize it's not you

Quote:
Gargage In, Garbage Out

As Stu point out, it's the coaches. You have moron's driving the bus.

Daily Medication

It like having to take daily medication. It is much more efficient to take 7 days of medication all at once. How much sense does that make?

That what you training session are...cramming a few days of work into one.

"You can train hard or long but NOT both." Gironda

The Bulgarians proved this to be a fact. Research also show that training sessions over an hour are counter produtive.

That means you turn your anabolic workout into a catabolic workout. How much sense does that make?

Quote:
This is an example what I do in a training session:

- snatch
- power clean
- jerks from a standard
- front squat
- press
- back ups
- sit ups

Stu..."Your training is arranged for the benefit of the coaches and not the trainees..."

Stu right on...and he's a lot nice that I am.

Paperclip, I know you know this stuff. Your just stuck with some idiots.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:36 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Guys, I appreciate the inputs about my training routine but unfortunately I can't do much about it lol. Hope that I'll get something good out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:18 pm 

Couldn't the whole group divide into 3 smaller groups, and each train for an hour?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:32 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Couldn't the whole group divide into 3 smaller groups, and each train for an hour?

Actually we do train in 3 groups: senior males (4 ppl), senior females (3 ppl), and newcomers/kids (5-9 ppl). There are just too many people and too few equipments.

One hour isn't possible because one olympic lift usually takes about 30-45 minutes to complete (i.e. 30 minutes of snatches). Actually that may be possible if I train alone and limit the number of exercises, for example:
- snatches (30 mins)
- front squats
- hyperextensions