ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:20 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

lower body back rehabbing action:

DBSS

10k x 8
12.5x 8
15 x 8
17.5 x 8

still making good progress on these, same weight, sets of 10 on friday. Not much to report really, I still think these are the hardest exercise I've ever done.

GHRs

BW x 5
BW x 3 x 2

had a bit of an epiphany with these: the trick is to squeeze your glutes the whole time. Keeps your hips up and makes the rep much, much harder. So much harder! I think it'll be sets of 3 from now on but with better form. Live and learn.

Hip Thrusts

60k x 6
70 x 6
80 x 6
90 x 6

90k is not technically a PR, but it is the first time I've lifted it without hyperextending my back. Means my glutes must have gotten stronger. I'll just try and equal this on friday - still trying to be as cautious as I can with these.

No abs today, didn't have time. I trained in the evening tonight for the first time in months, means I was training with the old crowd I used to get the craic with. Ran out of time to do abs because I was catching up with the old regulars. Was good seeing them again. There was a lesson to be learned too. Out of the two guys I used to always speak to, one has been consistently coming to the gym, same days every week, week in week out, no excuses. The other guy has been taking fortnights off at a time, coming in and just going through the motions and not trying to push himself. Guess which one looks awesome and guess who looks exactly the same? No prizes for getting it...

I did some core stuff this morning so I'll not bother doing stuff tonight. It's an off day tomorrow so I'll do some planks, wall slides etc.

A good work out tonight.

Post subject: Re: Bob's back rehab log
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:12 am 

rest day, core work done at intervals throughout the day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:12 am 

something I forgot to mention earlier: I'm taking a week off next week. My shoulders are aching and my back's actually been a tiny bit sore of late, so no weights for me. The shoulder pain's worrying me more than the back pain, as it's in a different place to usual. I'm thinking I'm not going to do another upper body this week, with one more lower body workout on friday, then the whole of next week off. I'll rest up, eat loads and come back the week after stronger and pain free. Obviously over the course of the week I'll do loads of core and mobility stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:11 pm 

rest day again today, would've done upper body but going to give my shoulders a break.

Back's actually pretty sore today, I think I know why though. Damn hip thrusts again! Think I've found a solution though, from now on I'm going to do hip thrusts first in the workout so I'm fresh, doing them after the split squats and GHRs means I'm too fatigued I think so my back is having to compensate. So from now on: hip thrusts first every time.

Pretty annoyed that my back's hurting, although I can still potentially get a tweak-free month for August. If I manage that then front squats are coming in in September.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:22 am 

lower body workout/back rehabbing biznitch

Hip Thrusts

60 x 6
70 x 6
80 x 6
90 x 6

did these first in an attempt to stop them hurting my back. Doing them fresh definitely feels better, I think I could've maybe even gone a little heavier but I'm trying to be careful. I'm re-setting every rep too instead of just touch-and-go. I'll see how my back feels tomorrow.

BDSS

10k x 10
12.5k x 10
15k x 10
17.5k x 10

still making good linear gains on these. Going to start with the 12.5s and go up to the 20s for sets of 8 next time. I'm starting to get to a reasonable level of strength on these now. Be interesting to see when I go back to squatting how my strength levels compare.

GHRS

BW x 3 x 3

doing these with my new and improved form is ridiculously hard. Didn't quite get the last rep of the last set but I almost did so I'm counting it. I'll be a happy man when I get good at these. Just going to keep plugging away.

Swiss Ball Single Leg Curl/Stir The Pot Superset (longest named superset ever)

5x3x3 of each

"Stir The Pot" is an exercise by the legendary Stuart McGill. It's basically a plank on a swiss ball where you move your elbows in small, controlled circles. It ain't easy, especially if you suck at planks as much as I do. I do them with my feet about 1.5xshoulder width. Makes it easier. Once I can do 10 reps I'll move my feet in and do them like that. Not much to report on the leg curls other than they sucked after the GHRs.

Not a bad workout today, I won't know til tomorrow whether or not by back handled it. I think it'll probably be a bit sore since I hurt it the other day, but it'll be an improvement I'm sure. Still going to try for a tweak-free August.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:12 pm 

off day, back feels loads better. I'm sold - hip thrusts first in the workout every time from now on. Didn't affect my strength on the split squats so it's win/win.

Have finally got a job, in a shop that sells exercise supplies no less! Anytime my back feels a little stiff walking about the shop I do a couple of sets of single leg deadlifts with an empty bar. Makes it feel good as new! I'm so clever.

I'll do planks, hip thrusts and wall slides tonight. Should probably do some thoracic extensions too. It's a deload (in other words, "off") week this week so I'm just going to do TONS of core/mobility stuff. I may even do some cardio!

probably won't do any cardio...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:18 am 

day 1 of my deload week and "Tweak Free August". Back feels fine. I've done about 1000 reps of single leg deadlifts at work when no one's in the shop. It's great.

Also this morning I did my Waterbury 3 before work (leg lowering with wall push; leg curl with single leg balance; stir the pot (on my knees to make it easier)), and tonight I'll do some planks, BW hip thrusts, wall slides, thoracic extensions and band pull-aparts. That's basically my plan for every day this week; Waterbury 3 every morning and the other ones at night. Not a bad mobility workout if I do say so myself. Plus every day I work I'll do a million single leg deadlifts.

Boo ya! Should be feeling awesome and mobile and healthy and all sorts of good $h1t by the time next week comes around. I'd much rather be in the gym but so it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:28 am 

Day 2 of the deload/Tweak Free August...

...still no tweaks, back feels fine. Shoulders are feeling a bit better, think they'll be right as rain by the end of the week. Did my Waterbury 3 this morning with some stretches and wall slides. I'll do planks and hip thrusts tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 am 

off day, mobility stuff as per, nothing to report really

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:33 am 

day 3 of the deload. It's looking like that I actually won't get into the gym until thursday next week... Shoulders should be good as new by then.

back was a little stiff today and yesterday. Can't think why. I went for a massage today and it was agony! Especially the IT band on my left leg. Should make me feel better in a couple of days though...

I'm all about the recovery today, so I'm not going to do any ab stuff. It'll be business as usual tomorrow. I may do some very light resistance band stuff for my shoulders, maybe just a few sets of the "no money" drill. For anyone that doesn't know what that is, here's a link:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _exercises

it's number 5 in the article. My journal is so informative!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:53 am 

another boring gymless day in the boring deload week. It all got a bit too much for me and I ended up doing some exercise in the house. I did:

A1 single leg hip thrust
A2 BSS
A3 Push ups
A4 Diagonal pull aparts

B1 4-pint squat
B2 swiss ball leg curl
B3 scap push ups on swiss ball
B4 no moneys

Side Planks

I did it as circuits, so all the A exercises in a row with no rest, then rest for a couple of minutes then repeat. After 3 rounds I did the B exercises for 3 rounds then 1 round of side planks which I held for a miserable 20 seconds a side.

things I noticed:

You can get a surprisingly good workout doing this. The single leg hip thrusts and bodyweight bulgarian split squats were particularly hard. I just did as many reps as possible for every set of every exercise and didn't really count reps. Doing it as a circuit got the ole heart rate up a bit too.

I think my leg lowering with a wall push has been hurting my back though! My back's been a little achey the last couple of days and I think that's the cause. Going to drop it for a few days now and see what happens. I'll be pretty annoyed if that's what's doing it, I love that exercise. I'll replace it bird dogs I think, then when I add it back in stick to the single leg version.

I'm constantly changing little details of my everyday stuff. Hopefully it'll evolve into the ultimate core/back rehab routine through constant trial and error.

Might do some planks tonight but I think I'm done for the day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:31 pm 

bit of an update from earlier. My back hurts like a bitch. Must be the leg lowering, it's the only thing I feel any discomfort on. Bird dogs from now on. If it doesn't stop hurting I'll replace the stir-the-pot with planks. It's the only other possible culprit.

It's all very frustrating.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:15 am 

back feels loads better today. What's the significance? I didn't do my Waterbury 3 this morning. I've decided that they're too advanced, so from now on it's

bird dogs
hip thrusts
stir the pot

it's going to pretty much do the same thing I think; activating my abs, hamstrings and glutes.

Whether or not I can do it without it hurting remains to be seen. I'll do this all through August then next month attempt the Waterbury 3.

Tweak Free August is now no longer a possibility. Dang.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 am 

back feels fine today, and i didn't do my Waterbury 3 so that settles it in my mind; it was hurting.

Did some light single leg deadlifts, wall squats and wall slides today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:09 pm 

tonight I did some leg lowering, wall squats, scap push ups and no moneys.

The significance of this is that leg lowering didn't hurt my back at all, so maybe the Waterbury 3 isn't hurting, or maybe it's not the leg lowering with wall push... Dang, looks like it's back to the drawing board to try and find the culprit. On the plus side I can still do leg lowering which is an awesome exercise for correcting anterior pelvic tilt, so I'm glad of that. I actually think I might be hyperextending my back on the sets of leg-curl-with-single-leg-balance, so I'm going to try dropping my reps, staying miles away from failure.

not long now til I can get back in the gym! Front squats are sooooooooo close, going to wait until I can get a decent ROM with the wall squats. I'm not too far off, Chad Waterbury (who has had a massive influence on my training of late) thinks that it should take 2 weeks at most, so assuming my flexibility is about as bad as it gets, which I am sure it probably is, I should get squatting in 2 weeks! Very excited. The thought of deadlifting, on the other hand, fills me with dread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next