ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:36 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Preach!

All I know is, I shall refuse to do them anymore until there is a more clear, uniformally agreed upon, official definition.

I just hate getting stronger on the one hand
But on the other hand, if there is no consensus on the exercise, what's the use.

I think Wendler also got tired of this discussion; Excerpt from 5-3-1....

Wendler wrote:
Chin-ups, pull-ups, whatever. It doesn’t matter to me. Just bring yourself up to a bar and back
down again. Your grip should vary: wide, medium, close, overhand, underhand, neutral. Use
ropes and towels for chins to build back and grip strength.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:17 am 

My pronouncement: Chin-up and pull-up are synonymous.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:18 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

tyciol wrote:
Nevage wrote:
Pullups are normally reffering to your hands being in a pronated position whereas chinups your hands are in a supinated position. Check them out in the muscle exercise directory for form and muscles involved etc.
If you check out the ExRx directory, this is not at all how they are defined.

Why are you responding to a post written in 2009?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:49 pm 

Oscar, I'm with you. If what I call them the right name, they probably won't work for me anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc wrote:
Hey, Extremist--have you ever posted here about what sort of training routine you follow?

(For those of you who don't know, this is the holder of the world record for weighted pull-ups. See http://newsok.com/world-record-uplifting-for-edmond-man/article/3566271)

I've have been keeping a training log over at bb.com I post every time I do pull-ups.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... t714847441

I'm also about to mail of my packet to GWR for the most weight added to a pull-up 206.2 lbs.

Both GWR and recordholders.org follow the overhand pull-ups, underhanded chin-ups.
http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/chinups.html
http://www.scribd.com/doc/59139861/Heav ... ed-Pull-Up

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:27 am 
former lurker

Hang on a pull-up bar with straight arms & pull yourself up until your chin passes the bar. The difference between Pull-ups & Chin-ups is in the grip:

* Pull-ups. Palms facing away. Less biceps, more back. Harder.
* Chin-ups. Palms facing you. Work your biceps more. Easier.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:50 pm 
n00b
n00b

If your main goal is lat development, which would be better between these three options, and why?

Chin Up (palms facing you, regular grip)
Pull Up (palms facing away from you, regular grip shoulder width)
Wide Grip Pull Up (same as above but wide grip in the bent bars, not straight bars)

I see this debated a lot in others places and I have always wondered, it seemed intuitive to me that wide grip Pull Ups would be better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 pm 

Yeah -- keep the thread alive!

I think there's not much difference wrt lat development. The act of pulling yourself up is enough to activate the lats. It's more important to get a full contraction. Wide grip can be tricky -- I think most people go too wide, don't get a full contraction and don't get the full benefit.
I say do them all -- you forgot parallel grip...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 pm 
n00b
n00b

bam wrote:
Yeah -- keep the thread alive!

I think there's not much difference wrt lat development. The act of pulling yourself up is enough to activate the lats. It's more important to get a full contraction. Wide grip can be tricky -- I think most people go too wide, don't get a full contraction and don't get the full benefit.
I say do them all -- you forgot parallel grip...

I do both Chin Ups and Pull Ups, thing is this subject has been bugging me lately because I have been stalling on Wide Grip Pull Ups. I am currently doing 4xf (with added weight, though I dont think that matters), last time I could rep 10-6-5-4. I want to know if a switch to normal grip pull ups would be better for lats and/or progression and also to know the general exercise science behind those movements.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:13 am 

If what you are doing at present is not working for you, do something different. Like Oscar said, the type isn't as important as making progress. Try NOT going to failure. Do sets of 6, for instance. Try to go for 5 sets of 6. That would be 5 more reps than you can get now. Change the grip for a few weeks. If you usually do them weighted, to some bigger sets BW. Do 20 doubles, or 15 triples, or 50 singles. Then when you've broken the plateau that way, go back to your old wide-grips and see where you are. Many body builders seem to love the wide-grip for lat development, but if you aren't making progress, change for a while. With more strength you can do more and develop more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:25 am 

you might find this new t-nation article interesting....
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/take_your_pullups_to_the_next_level

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:52 pm 

Jungle doc all that weight training pull ups gets me going I know i can do a pull up with a 120 lb kid on my back haha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:03 am 

I knew kids were good for something!

Your kid? I don't remember about you having any, but you've been away for a while!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:00 pm 

Haha Yes jungledoc I do have kids although not at a 120 lbs yet i have a 7 yr old daughter and a 4 yr old daughter. My oldest is about 65 lbs haha

I can do pushups though with their mother and them on my back....sooo idk 110 lb woman a 45 lb kid and a 65 lb kid ....haha thats a fun time.

Kyle Chandler

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2