ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Nutrition
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:42 am 

[quote="carlito...@stuward I won't forget them, thanks. Is there a list somewhere of what types of vegetables are high calorie/low cal?...[/quote]

A more accurate distinction is fibrous or starchy. You can eat fibrous vegetable as much as you want. They will fill you up and provide nutrients but have very few calories. Startchy vegetables are basic energy food. There is a little grey area with vegetables like squash, but most are self evident. We have a sticky on it here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4073

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

jlmoss wrote:
RobertB wrote:
Burgers obviously need to be reasonably expensive, or rather, good quality (depending on how lucky you are with meat sources) - in England, the north at least, decent burgers tend to be at least twice the price of frozen horrors that half in size when you cook them.

You mean in leanness? Or something else? I buy the ground beef closest to 70/30 instead of the really lean ground beef for my burgers. The leaner the beef, the dryer the burger.

Also, I forgot to add on the burger recipe. Add some cornmeal with the salt and pepper to help keep the juices in. Also, cover the burger with a metal bowl or lid during the final 30 sec on both sides and squirt some water under the bowl to create some steam for further juicyness.

easy there tiger, if we're having a burger war, the best burger recipe of all time is

mince beef (fattier the better I reckon)
red onion
japalenos
dijon mustard
grated parmesan (or similar)
tarragon (use fresh stuff)
salt and pepper
egg

obviously you'll want some cheese and tomatoes and stuff like that to stick in the buns.

mush it all up together and there you go. Stick the patties in the fridge for like half an hour to firm 'em up a bit. I like to eat them with spicy mayonnaise, which I make by pouring some decent tasting hot sauce into a jar of mayonnaise, and shaking it up a bit (try it, you wouldn't believe how awesome it is).

If there's a better bodybuilding food I'm yet to sample it deliciousness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

fish in can not bad, I hear.

Again ,these can just diverge into so many opions.
You will die some day either way and eating meat in a can won't take years off your life. And if it does - your dead.
Meat from places like Whole Foods and organic free range whatever is much more expensive.

I have mackeral in a can too and have not figured a way to use it, except throw it on greens, like I do with salmon and tuna in a can. With some mustard + red wine vinegar + olive oil homade dressing.

Walnuts make every salad better.

When cooking meat, use the higher end of temp, like 450 f, and burner on Med-hi to Hi, think Brown and Sear and Roast, not warm up.

For Omelletee and Scrambled eggs, start low, (i stir in pan, no need to waste a separate bowl). for Scrambled cooking too hi too early can give you watery and rubbery eggs. Gradually increase heat as it thickens. Go to Mediumk and begin folding and folding and folding, making it multiple layers as the liquid turns to thin layers. Dont do all the chopping of the eggs up until right at the end, or after its on your plate. Leave a litte sheen, dont overcook and dry them out. By the end the pan should be on Hi and you are constantly flipping and folding.
I make the best Scrambled Eggs on this site.

Fact.

And you should have Thanked me to. I did offer some idea

:headbang:

Lets stop ruining every thread with personal founded or not ideas of what a person needs to eat to fit your perfect diet. /rant

Last edited by Oscar_Actuary on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:08 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

carlito wrote:
@Ken Thanks for the info. So do you calculate your calorie intake by first counting, how much protein carbs and fats you're getting?

At first my only strategy was "eat more real food." This gained me 10# and then I came to a hard stop. When I stopped gaining that's when I decided to learn how to count this stuff.

I have a simple spreadsheet that lists various foods and their calories from protein, fat, and carbs. If I know the grams, I convert to calories and vice-versa.

My actual approach was first to figure out how much I'm getting by looking up the calories in the foods I eat. My diet is very consistent so this is pretty easy.

After adding up everything up 2000 calories/day, which I am sure hoping is wrong because that is WAY WAY LOW. But I have to assume it's correct and I need to go WAY WAY UP to 3000 calories/day for two months and see if I can put weight anywhere but my belly. :)

Hope this makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:15 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I find calorie counting exceedingly tedious.

RobertS, that burger would be delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:52 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
For Omelletee and Scrambled eggs, start low,

That's what I do too, I don't want the yolk to solidify before I've finished opening all the eggs. As for stirring, I wait for the albumen to get all white (this should be sped up by breaking the white as soon as thickens and making the clear part slide on the bottom on the skillet), then break the yolks and mix. Works a charm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:32 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

robertscott wrote:
easy there tiger, if we're having a burger war, the best burger recipe of all time is

If there's a better bodybuilding food I'm yet to sample it deliciousness

That does sound yummy...

You left out the most important part though! How to actually cook the meat, which is what this guy needs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
And you should have Thanked me to. I did offer some idea

:headbang:

Lets stop ruining every thread with personal founded or not ideas of what a person needs to eat to fit your perfect diet. /rant

I just thought you seemed disinterested in helping, or that's the idea I got. I asked here because I thought you guys would be better to get my info from, rather than some random site. Anyway those are some decent ideas, thank you, Oscar ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:46 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

heh, no worries

I had to fill out a useless employee satisfaction survey today.
may have been a bit grumpy
Just a touch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:03 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

jlmoss wrote:
You mean in leanness? Or something else? I buy the ground beef closest to 70/30 instead of the really lean ground beef for my burgers. The leaner the beef, the dryer the burger.

Nah not leanness - just that for example the frozen stuff that can do 10 laps around the world without expiring tend to be messed around with too much to be considered a simple decent whole food. Where as when my parents go to the store I can just ask them to pick up fresh burgers that are of a decent size, decent quality meat, already seasoned etc. Like say, depends on budget, if you are able to visit a sensible decent butcher then do that and have a go at the suggested recipes :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:25 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I find calorie counting exceedingly tedious.

RobertS, that burger would be delicious.

calorie counting was invented by Satan to make people fat and frustrated.

Damn right it's delicious, if you're ever in Glasgow look me up and I'll make you one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:28 pm 

jlmoss wrote:
You left out the most important part though! How to actually cook the meat, which is what this guy needs.

Fry that $h1t up in loads of butter. Is there any other way to cook things?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:56 pm 

robertscott wrote:
jlmoss wrote:

Fry that $h1t up in loads of butter. Is there any other way to cook things?

On a grill?

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:32 pm 

what's a grill? Doesn't sound like there's any butter involved

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:58 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

robertscott wrote:
what's a grill? Doesn't sound like there's any butter involved

:lol: