ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bicep building
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:30 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I've had lots of luck getting big pecs and broader shoulders/neck, but my biceps are lagging behind. Often I get sore wrist muscles, or sore muscles in the eye of my elbow, but not sore biceps. Am I doing something wrong?

I do dumbbell and barbell curls, as detailed on this site. Also I use a cable machine which works like a barbell, and machine where you rest your wrists on a pad and do curls while seated.

Is there something I'm doing to put more weight on my wrists than my biceps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:01 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Magnus. As to upper arms in general, there is a current thread going on right now on the subject, scroll down the index to "Exercises for upper arms size gains".Lots of good info in there. As to the wrist thing, some trainers have you make a point out of bending the wrists back while holding the bar, DB, handle or whatever, and concentrate on not flexing the wrist while curling. It more or less keeps the wrists out of the movement.
Tim

Post subject: Re: Bicep building
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:48 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Magnus wrote:
I've had lots of luck getting big pecs and broader shoulders/neck...

How's your back doing? Are you doing back exercises with the same vigor as chest and shoulders?

This might not be the case for you, but lots of people train their backs as an afterthought, then wonder why their biceps are lagging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

I found the biceps to be way too easy to go overboard with. I noticed bigger gains when I reduced it to 2 sets of DB incline curls, and not on the same day I do cable pulldowns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:31 pm 

in general, I think less is more, but once in a while, especially if you are experiencing a lag in back or bicep gains I think a specialization routine can be just the thing.

Let me see if I can drag up the routine I did with pretty good success

This was given to me by Todd Wilson, a super knowledgable guy over at DrSquat who posts a lot of good info and is willing to take time to give somethign just for you. This was actually posted for someone else and I just copied and had great success.

Workouts 1-3: 5 sets of 5 reps at the same weight for Incline hammer curls and Single arm Zottman curls on a scott bench. On incline curls, be sure to keep your elbows back. I would suggest picking a tricep exercise to pair with each. In other words. One sets of incline hammer curls, rest 2 minutes, one set of dips, and so on.
Workouts: 4-6: 6 sets of 2-4 reps of Standing midline curls and Standing Reverse grip EZ bar curls. Standing midline curls are performed with a hammer grip, bring the dumbbells in front of your chest just inside the nipples while keeping your elbows by your sides. Again, pair with antagonist sets.
Workouts 7-9: 4 sets of 6-8 reps of close grip supinated (palms facing you) chin ups. Use a 6-8 inch grip width between your two pinky fingers.
Workouts 10-12: EZ bar curls on a scott bench. Sets of 6, 4, 2, 2, 2, 4, 6. ON the third set of two you want to use your highest weight. In addition, because of the post-tetanic facilitation that will take place, the final sets of 4 and 6 should be 1%-2% higher in weight than the first two sets.

I can give you my interpretation of the exercises if you need. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:40 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for all the responses.

TimD wrote:
As to the wrist thing, some trainers have you make a point out of bending the wrists back while holding the bar, DB, handle or whatever, and concentrate on not flexing the wrist while curling. It more or less keeps the wrists out of the movement.
Tim

Is that what those barbells with the bent bar are for? Haven't tried them that much yet...
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:12 am 

I( believe you are referring to an EZ bar, it's bent to allow a grip with about a 45 degree angle for the palms. The same thing would apply to it as well. Some people like them. If you have access to a gym, you might want to try one out. If it works for you, then great. I not, don't buy one.
Tim