ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:00 am 

I almost hate to start a new thread on this, as I've started a few in the past, but I don't have the energy to find them.

Here's a link to an article that might be of interest. Peter linked a news article about this study on his blog.

http://www.aerzteblatt.de/v4/archiv/pdf.asp?id=91108

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:33 pm 

Just in case people don't know resistance training or load bearing exercises aka weight training helps prevent osteoporosis in older clients. If you train people have them lift whether its free weights or resistance cause I know I wouldn't like to see anyone break a hip because their bones become brittle due to not enough use.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:39 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

ok, what is your angle?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:44 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
ok, what is your angle?

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly....I wouldn't prefer to train older clients but if I had to or eventually went down that road injury prevention is a great reason for older people to exercise. I would have them do aquatics if possible and if they were able olympic lifts within reason. Low weight dead lifts squats etc. I have seen many older people in gyms doing things wrong because they were taught wrong. It's not my place to correct them but always feel I should.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:56 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Would you care to explain who you are, as you have stormed the boards revising some old threads and an introduction would be nice!

you can see me in my underwear on you tube.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:02 pm 

Oscar, John is an old friend of the site, he just doesn't come around very often. When he does, he's prolific.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:05 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Well, a friend of the Boards is a friend of mine

Except for the good grammar and relavent responses, it did feel like some sort of Tyciol inspired spam was coming on.

cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:23 pm 

I'm laughing! John has actually had different screen names over the years, but the mods don't bug him about it since he has never done it to be deceptive. He's an enthusiastic guy with a lot of knowledge. He once had a web site going about training found objects. He was the master of the concrete block!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:27 pm 

CorlessJohnJ wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
ok, what is your angle?

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly....I wouldn't prefer to train older clients but if I had to or eventually went down that road injury prevention is a great reason for older people to exercise. I would have them do aquatics if possible and if they were able olympic lifts within reason. Low weight dead lifts squats etc. I have seen many older people in gyms doing things wrong because they were taught wrong. It's not my place to correct them but always feel I should.

Aquatics! You want to turn the poor old guys into water nymphs!

I believe "older" (and we could get into definitions here) trainees should pretty much do what any other trainee does, but should just go a bit slower. "Low weight dead lifts squats etc."! What's "low weight" for you, ain't low weight for me!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:54 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
CorlessJohnJ wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
ok, what is your angle?

Aquatics! You want to turn the poor old guys into water nymphs!

I believe "older" (and we could get into definitions here) trainees should pretty much do what any other trainee does, but should just go a bit slower. "Low weight dead lifts squats etc."! What's "low weight" for you, ain't low weight for me!

Well Light would be relative to them haha of course. I recently got a personal best 405 on my deadlift about 3 weeks to a month ago so thats pretty awesome. I have missed these forums.

Another reason why I would recommend aquatics is because its very very low impact. Like I said I wouldn't prefer to train older 65 plus clients but if I did I would recommend that. Im currently doing kinesiology in school....and it is not easy....jungle doc you've done kinesiology right?

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:53 pm 

I was just filling out course selections for my son who's going into kinesiology this fall. It makes me want to go back to school.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:28 pm 

CorlessJohnJ wrote:
Well Light would be relative to them haha of course. I recently got a personal best 405 on my deadlift about 3 weeks to a month ago so thats pretty awesome. I have missed these forums.
Well, in that case, I can't agree with you. It should be challenging to them. That would probably mean that it would be light relative to you, but not to them. The trainee should always be challenged. And there is nothing special about 65, or any other age. They just need to progress at their own pace.

Congrats on the 405 pull!

CorlessJohnJ wrote:
Another reason why I would recommend aquatics is because its very very low impact. Like I said I wouldn't prefer to train older 65 plus clients but if I did I would recommend that. Im currently doing kinesiology in school....and it is not easy....jungle doc you've done kinesiology right?
Swimming is good for some cardio for people who have bad joints, but it won't substitute for resistance work. Remember, that it's impact that gives the benefit for osteoporosis! Swimming doesn't do that.

I'm glad that you're in school. No, I didn't study kinesiology, but that is in my retirement plan!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:06 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
I believe "older" (and we could get into definitions here)...

I like Rippetoe's term: Masters. "Well, since I'm in the masters' class..."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:05 pm 

That comes from the powerlifting and weightlifting federations rules. They have a separate category for men over 50 (I think).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]