ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:18 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi i am 17 years old and 157cm high.

i m doing gym but i don't have any program.... can any one make me a begining program for me. i ll really appreciate.

Fitness, stregth, power, flexibility

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:38 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

To me, with cricket, you have two major goals to aim for:

Increase batting skill
Increase running skill

Obviosuly, with the points from cricket being based on runs - being able to explode off the wicket safely and quickly is going to give you a great advantage. I may be utterly wrong but it makes perfect sense to focus at least some of your training on increasing your running ability, primarily sprinting. With running alone, you're going to have a great advantage on the field.

I would say you'll have more results on here if you fill in some blanks first:

How long do you have "off season"? I.e. do you have a period of time where you dont "train" with your club? Such time could be dedicated to increasing functional strength so a "heads up" on your sports training calendar could help us help you.

What ideas have you got to improve your training and what concerns do you have with said ideas? What have you been doing and what have you looked into doing but may not be 100% sure/clear about?

What do you want to acheive with your training? Be specific but realistic... no point saying you want to be able to cover the pitch in a second and launch every bowl into orbit!

You may know of a cricketer who you admire and whose training you know a little about - a few people on here would be interested to read about such things so by all means drop names!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

One good way of increasing batting skill I think is to practice using a thinner bat, I used to play out back with a bit of architrave I'd cut to shape. I heard something about a some pro cricketer who used to practice all day with a pole or something, similar idea anyway. Can't remember who that was though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:59 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't play cricket but it seems to me that you should practice like you are going to play, that is, with a proper bat. Like we say in the Army, "Train the way you're going to fight". When the going gets rough, your fighting will be the way you trained. Use proper form and practice often. Stop the practice when your form starts to breaks down. It's just general common sense that applies to just about anything.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:54 pm 
n00b
n00b

I am playing cricket but i need gym training .. i m medium pace bowler. and i lived in australia so we play footy in off season and cricket season goes between sep- march

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 am 

Don Bradman, an Australian sporting legend, an quietlya difficult individual, is reputed to have developed his batting skills by hitting a golf ball with a stump against a wall for hours a day, for years, to develop hand eye coordination.

Run fast, bat hard, catch well and bowl tricky and one day you may propose to Liz Hurley.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:52 am 

k31453 wrote:
I am playing cricket but i need gym training .. i m medium pace bowler. and i lived in australia so we play footy in off season and cricket season goes between sep- march

Without more input, it's hard to make a recommendation. Assuming you don't work out in a gym now, I would recommend that you visit this page: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3817

If you have specific weaknesses that you need to work on, we need your input. Very few of us are good at reading minds over the internet.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:26 am 

I don't think cricket is highly strength-dependent. I'd think that any general, full-body program would be of help. If you play "footy" (league?, aussie rules?) you probably need more strength. For that, I'd think that any general, full-body program would be of help! See the stickies in the General forum.

Stu, the idea of practicing with a narrow bat is to develop more precision in batting. A regular bat would be more "forgiving". I'd think that a regulation bat with a centimeter or two shaved off of each side would be good for this purpose. I say "I'd think" as I have never actually touched a cricket bat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:23 am 

I suppose it would be like a golf club that bends if you get out of the groove. I don't know cricket, but if you hit a ball with a baseball bat too high on the ball, the ball goes into the ground, too low on the ball, it pops up. If you swing too early, you foul to the left, too late and you foul to the right. Too me that's the feedback you need to get better at batting and using a regulation bat is the best way to get that feedback. Different bats have different sweet spots, and I suppose using one with a smaller sweetspot than the one you use in a game is beneficial. I suppose different coaches could have different ways of doing things. Whatever works.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:32 pm 

stuward wrote:
I suppose it would be like a golf club that bends if you get out of the groove. I don't know cricket, but if you hit a ball with a baseball bat too high on the ball, the ball goes into the ground, too low on the ball, it pops up. If you swing too early, you foul to the left, too late and you foul to the right. Too me that's the feedback you need to get better at batting and using a regulation bat is the best way to get that feedback. Different bats have different sweet spots, and I suppose using one with a smaller sweetspot than the one you use in a game is beneficial. I suppose different coaches could have different ways of doing things. Whatever works.

I think the narrow bat in practice forces one to hit with the center of the bat. Cricket bats are almost flat, with a slight curve. I've heard of baseball players practicing with a dowel, which is, I suppose a similar idea. Too much time spend with something a lot lighter than regulation would throw off the swing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:55 am 
n00b
n00b

i need properly upper body porgram for more pace of bowling as well as for power to hit shot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:40 am 

Check out Bret Contrera's post on rotational training. http://bretcontreras.com/2011/05/rotational-training/
Also, I'd try some olympic insired exercises like power cleans and DB snatches to help build power. Barbell complexes are also good for maintaining strength while building stamina. There's a sticky in the General section of these forumns that contain links.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]