ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hurrican Irene
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:06 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

seems the "debate" would center around the decisions made in the news rooms regarding how much coverage and how much of it is informative/helpful vs sensationalism/rating grabbing.
You could start by even attacking the premise that "News" channels are even responsible for public safety. I mean, aren't they more beholden to the shareholders?

I'm fairly certain everyone is glad it was much less severe than advertised.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:39 pm 

I hardly ever watch TV so I suppose that's why I don't notice the hype as much. News stations want to attract visitors in order to sell advertising, and if that's better done with sensationalism vs accuracy, then I have no use for it.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:00 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
10's of billions in damages and 11 deaths is not crying wolf. Sure it could have been worse. Aren't you glad it wasn't?

Of course I am glad it wasn't.

It just makes me wonder. *shrug* Maybe it's this over hyping that, in part, caused so many in New Orleans to disregard Hurricane Katrina as 'just another storm'. Of course, I'm speaking from complete ignorance here, as I haven't researched in depth the circumstances leading up to Katrina. Just an ignorant mans rational thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:00 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Lost internet about 24 hours ago. Doing quick post from work.

Consider this before passing judgment on those who "hype" a life-threatening situation where they will be blamed if people die, or worse still, they will be blamed if American taxpaying citizens are inconvenienced.

A friend of mine runs a tree service. He had to deal with a tree that fell into a bedroom, with an 11 inch branch spiking the bed. Nobody was hurt because the family was in the basement because of all the friggin hype.

So the eye was passing 30 miles west of us, it was relatively calm and the rain was light. Radio kept saying "don't go outside." We go out, of course, and watch a tree fall onto a power line 20 feet from us. We go back inside and stay.

It's all hype unless it's your house flooded, your wife delivering a baby, you who cannot get dialysis, or your house with the tree lying through the living room, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:18 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I can see your point there. It seems more like a 'your damned if you do, damned if you don't' type thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:02 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

The "hype" is the young news guys trying to make career shots on the banks of the rivers rising hoping for some huge pieces of flying debris to come into the shot.

Hype is not the local gov't and public radio geting the information and directions out as often as necessary + some.
Nothing against the sensationlism journalism, because, I have a dial changer.

jlmoss wrote
"It just makes me wonder. *shrug* Maybe it's this over hyping that, in part, caused so many in New Orleans to disregard Hurricane Katrina as 'just another storm'. Of course, I'm speaking from complete ignorance here, as I haven't researched in depth the circumstances leading up to Katrina. Just an ignorant mans rational thinking"

there a point there I agree with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:52 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Internet is restored. Productivity will now plunge to previous horrific pre-Irene levels.

Still hit closed roads on the way home today, making my complete Irene experience lasting Sat-Sun-Mon-Tue, for four days.

Those who believe in prayer should keep Vermont in mind. They were absolutely clobbered and got by far the worst of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:02 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Raleigh/ Durham fared well in the storm. I actually live in Durham which is a bit further west. Not much here. I went through Fran in 96 so I feel pretty lucky on this one!
People always amaze me. I saw a lady on TV I think Atlantic Beach who said she wanted to stay home just in case a window blew out and she needed to fix it??? Go figure, if a window blows out and you have a home on the beach chances are you will lose a lot more when the water comes in. I am a chicken when it comes to that stuff, run for the hills is my motto.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:13 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

people are crazy