ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:19 am 

I have tightness in my rotator cuffs so I actually can't squat like most people so I have to do things a little differently.

When I unrack the weight and bring it back I grab the bar where most people do but that puts a lot of strain on my shoulder joints. So what I do is grab the plates and hold the bar that way pulling the plates towards my body.

I dont have a problem even squatting over 300lbs that way. I always keep good form going 90 degrees or lower every time. Is that not recommended? cause it feels comfortable and safe to me.

I try to go with what feels comfortable and allows me to work myself the way I would like.

Also on box squats quick question... say you put the bench down right...do you deload on the bench? or tap and go? I usually go lower then a bench anyways so I never understood why guys used it?

John

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

John, you probably should get a safety squat bar. A lot of powerlifters use a wide grip on their squats. I think a better approach is to fix your shoulders so you can take a narrower grip.

The inventor of the safet squat bar:
http://www.samson-power.com/ASL/hatfield.html
Notice the hand placement.

For further reading:

http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/advanc ... iques.html
Rickey Dale Crain wrote:
Hand placement on the bar and bar placement on the back:

A person’s structure, limb lengths and size have a lot to do with hand placement on the bar. The main rule of thumb is the closer the better. It will keep the bar tighter on your back, and no chance for the bar to roll. The lighter lifter usually has no problem with this, but the bigger and heavier lifter, usually through inflexibility, wants put his hands out wide. Thus, he decreases his leverage by the fact the bar will have to be placed higher on the neck to keep it from falling. "I will say this once, and I am sure I will take some hits on it, but it is the absolute truth. The vast majority of bigger/heavier lifters have very poor form, for many reasons, but inflexibility and the refusal to practice good form is the main reason. They pretty much try to rely on their size to muscle up a lot of weight. That is one reason why the smaller lifter is so much superior pound for pound at all the lifts." The weight should be supported by not only the back of the deltoids where the bar sits, but some should be supported by the arms, forearms, elbows, wrists, hands. This dictates as narrow a hand placement as possible. Smaller frame people will have narrower grips than bigger frame people, i.e. My grip is considerably narrower than Bill Kazmaier's. Grip the bar tight. The tighter the grip, the less pressure will be on the wrists and elbows and shoulders, and the bar will have less of a chance or almost no chance of moving or rolling.

BTW, I got those from this thread. http://drsquat.com/content/main/trainin ... squat-grip

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:40 pm 

stuward wrote:
John, you probably should get a safety squat bar. A lot of powerlifters use a wide grip on their squats. I think a better approach is to fix your shoulders so you can take a narrower grip.

The inventor of the safet squat bar:
http://www.samson-power.com/ASL/hatfield.html
Notice the hand placement.

For further reading:

http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/advanc ... iques.html
Rickey Dale Crain wrote:
Hand placement on the bar and bar placement on the back:

A person’s structure, limb lengths and size have a lot to do with hand placement on the bar. The main rule of thumb is the closer the better. It will keep the bar tighter on your back, and no chance for the bar to roll. The lighter lifter usually has no problem with this, but the bigger and heavier lifter, usually through inflexibility, wants put his hands out wide. Thus, he decreases his leverage by the fact the bar will have to be placed higher on the neck to keep it from falling. "I will say this once, and I am sure I will take some hits on it, but it is the absolute truth. The vast majority of bigger/heavier lifters have very poor form, for many reasons, but inflexibility and the refusal to practice good form is the main reason. They pretty much try to rely on their size to muscle up a lot of weight. That is one reason why the smaller lifter is so much superior pound for pound at all the lifts." The weight should be supported by not only the back of the deltoids where the bar sits, but some should be supported by the arms, forearms, elbows, wrists, hands. This dictates as narrow a hand placement as possible. Smaller frame people will have narrower grips than bigger frame people, i.e. My grip is considerably narrower than Bill Kazmaier's. Grip the bar tight. The tighter the grip, the less pressure will be on the wrists and elbows and shoulders, and the bar will have less of a chance or almost no chance of moving or rolling.

BTW, I got those from this thread. http://drsquat.com/content/main/trainin ... squat-grip

Wow thanks stu great read ill try that and I know the pain is resulting from tightness or a lack of flexibilty in my shouders I guess it makes sense that when your hands are closer it's more secure. I will try to change up my form from here on out thanks.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:07 am 

So I did squats last night stu and i initially went with my weird grab of the plates but then my last set of 315 I did that normal grip and that felt weird. I'll get used to it. It definitely felt a lot tighter and more manageable.

My squat style was openly discussed at the gym people initially thought it was weird and then some others started doing it. i'll recommend they dont, the thing with my squat though was that it's always slow and controlled movements and I go below 90 degree squats even with the 315. I had a cousin of mine who is on some stuff right now who could only do 225. He obviously needs to sqaut more and you can tell he doesn't squat much cause he was only going barely 90 degrees if that.

Thanks.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:32 am 

John, I find that when you use a narrow grip and hold your elbows in, your upper back tighens up and your chest naturally pops out. That helps keep your back in alignment. I remember when I was recovering from my shoulder injury, it hurt to hold it in position so I used other squat variations. I never could get comfortable with a wide grip. My shoulder's healed enough now so the position isn't painful anymore.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:12 am 

your shoulder mobility/stability probably sucks, give this a try

http://www.dieselcrew.com/5-minute-shou ... -exercises

I do that before any upper body or squat session. Your shoulders feel good as new after.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:09 pm 

stuward wrote:
John, I find that when you use a narrow grip and hold your elbows in, your upper back tighens up and your chest naturally pops out. That helps keep your back in alignment. I remember when I was recovering from my shoulder injury, it hurt to hold it in position so I used other squat variations. I never could get comfortable with a wide grip. My shoulder's healed enough now so the position isn't painful anymore.

I agree completely stu i just did that sitting here in my cubicle at work and I felt my scapula retract and my chest stick out... awesome. I'll work on it.

Robert when I get home from work I will check that link out at home work has it blocked.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:52 am 

I know it's been awhile since I posted that but guess who squats like a normal human being now? <---- This guy haha I don't have that shoulder tightness anymore it's gone entirely awesome times.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:54 am 

Well done John.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]