ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:37 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm
Posts: 257
pdellorto wrote:
I just drove through Syracuse on Sunday. I wouldn't have had time to stop, but it would have been fun to know I was zipping past your house.

If ever make the trip down to New Jersey come train with me. First MMA class is free. :)


Hell yea brother im thinking of picking up mma now but I'm a striker not a grappler. I think grappling is for strikers that aren't good at it... haha

BTW You ever heard of Vadha? I was training in that for a bit while I was in florida

_________________
"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door"

Kyle Chandler


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:14 pm 
Offline
Associate Member
Associate Member

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 8:09 am
Posts: 337
Location: Buckhannon, WV
In my experience... which is not vast in the least... pretty much UFC and a few drunken bar fights in Korea... you have to be top of the line, world class, as a striker to keep the grapplers away from you. Heck, you would still have to learn grappling to know how to counter the grappler's offensive grappling in order to create some distance between the two of you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:11 am 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm
Posts: 257
jlmoss wrote:
In my experience... which is not vast in the least... pretty much UFC and a few drunken bar fights in Korea... you have to be top of the line, world class, as a striker to keep the grapplers away from you. Heck, you would still have to learn grappling to know how to counter the grappler's offensive grappling in order to create some distance between the two of you.


I understand that and wouldn't mind dabbling in it and learning counters....But I would not be intending on being on the ground with a guy that is asking for his friends to stomp my head in.

_________________
"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door"

Kyle Chandler


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:53 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Posts: 5247
Location: New Jersey
CorlessJohnJ wrote:
Hell yea brother im thinking of picking up mma now but I'm a striker not a grappler. I think grappling is for strikers that aren't good at it... haha


Plenty of strikers at AFS if you'd prefer to trade strikes at people. You just have to be willing to accept hard contact because that's the default standard there. :)

CorlessJohnJ wrote:
BTW You ever heard of Vadha? I was training in that for a bit while I was in florida


Heard of it but I know little about it.

_________________
--
Peter V. Dell'Orto
http://strength-basics.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:57 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Posts: 5247
Location: New Jersey
CorlessJohnJ wrote:
I understand that and wouldn't mind dabbling in it and learning counters....But I would not be intending on being on the ground with a guy that is asking for his friends to stomp my head in.


That's actually a very common statement. But I don't think it's grounded well in an understanding in grappling. Grappling isn't ground fighting, ground fighting is a subset of fighting locations and it can and should include striking. Grappling is controlling your opponent through grip and positioning. You can - and should - be able to do it standing as well as on the ground. If you can control your opponent, you can control who gets to strike and how.

I've had someone claim that grappling was useless, but then you arm drag them, get behind them, and put on a standing choke while you hold them like a shield in front of them . . . and they see a little of the potential value. Hard for some drunk jerk's so-called friends to stomp on your head when you are standing behind their buddy choking him unconscious. And it's hard to get there without grappling.

_________________
--
Peter V. Dell'Orto
http://strength-basics.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:39 am 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm
Posts: 257
pdellorto wrote:
CorlessJohnJ wrote:
I understand that and wouldn't mind dabbling in it and learning counters....But I would not be intending on being on the ground with a guy that is asking for his friends to stomp my head in.


That's actually a very common statement. But I don't think it's grounded well in an understanding in grappling. Grappling isn't ground fighting, ground fighting is a subset of fighting locations and it can and should include striking. Grappling is controlling your opponent through grip and positioning. You can - and should - be able to do it standing as well as on the ground. If you can control your opponent, you can control who gets to strike and how.

I've had someone claim that grappling was useless, but then you arm drag them, get behind them, and put on a standing choke while you hold them like a shield in front of them . . . and they see a little of the potential value. Hard for some drunk jerk's so-called friends to stomp on your head when you are standing behind their buddy choking him unconscious. And it's hard to get there without grappling.


Very nice pete haha btw I have a new journal on here called getting it done if you want to take this to that thread....BTW Man how are you how have you been? Last I recall about you you werent even in the states and you were using children as weights haha

_________________
"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door"

Kyle Chandler


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:59 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
We usually honor the convention of the journal threads being for their owners only, and comment in this section. Now that non-OPs aren't locked out of the journals there could be exceptions, but it seems a little cleaner to use the journal for oneself, and allow comments in the comments section.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:08 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Posts: 5247
Location: New Jersey
John,

I've been back in NJ for 3 years now. I'm still training MMA but mostly I'm competing in grappling tournaments. I lift over at DeFranco's Training in Wyckoff, work at a different gym nearby, and I do MMA up in Mahwah.

It's the Mahwah class I'm inviting you to. :)

_________________
--
Peter V. Dell'Orto
http://strength-basics.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:51 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
I love the grappling. Stand Ups and Separations usually peeve me, but I understand why they do it... on the big money shows


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:18 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm
Posts: 257
Jungledoc wrote:
We usually honor the convention of the journal threads being for their owners only, and comment in this section. Now that non-OPs aren't locked out of the journals there could be exceptions, but it seems a little cleaner to use the journal for oneself, and allow comments in the comments section.


Oh I know doc... I was referring to my other comments on my OTHER journal haha... cause there is a comment section just like this one but since I am john corless this will work. haha

Peter I talked to a friend of mine about MMA he actually teaches in the syracuse area im not sure what he's teaching but thursday Im going and starting it up. Should be interesting.

_________________
"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door"

Kyle Chandler


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:14 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm
Posts: 257
Just wanna let anyone who reads my journal know that im giving my legs an extra day of rest cause i'm gonna destroy them tomorrow night cause I have two days off afterwards.

Also going to try doing some cleans tonight on top of deads...biceps and back baby biceps and back.

_________________
"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door"

Kyle Chandler


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:38 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Oh, they're kind of small, but I wouldn't call them "baby biceps"!

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:32 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member

Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm
Posts: 257
Jungledoc wrote:
Oh, they're kind of small, but I wouldn't call them "baby biceps"!


I have that mentality doc. With that mentality I will rule the world. If I'm never big enough strong enough or good looking enough. I will ALWAYS strive to get better. That's me haha.

_________________
"Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door"

Kyle Chandler


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:25 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
I was just making a joke about your phrase "biceps and back baby biceps and back."

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group