ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:07 pm 
former lurker

Hi,

I always read about high protein foods but most of them sound like alien-material...
So my question is, what are some of the highest protein foods that you can buy at your local store? Except for the usual tuna, cottege cheese and eggs... :)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:26 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

You hit 3 of the biggest. The best proteins come from animal sources. Any meat, fish, most dairy and eggs. All are complete protein however some are associated with fats and carbs. Milk is the one with the carbs, the others all have fats with them. The fats are all relatively healthy, some more than others. If you're active, the carbs in milk are probably not a big issue either. Some have sensitivities to milk sugars though.

In non-animal source proteins, beans, rice and oats are probably the least offensive sources, although high in calories, they're more useful on a bulking diet.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:09 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

in my vast studies, I determined that canned chicken breast from S'Club had the most protein per calorie, i.e. it was leanest.
Lunch meat is up there too, but who wants to make that crud a stapple

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:20 pm 

I doubt lunch meat is a good source. The absolute amount of protein is unimportant. You just eat more to get more protein. The real question is what other crap are you getting with the protein. In the case of luncheon meat, you're probably getting all kinds of fillers and additives, along with sodium that is is most canned foods. MSG is another possibility. On the other hand, I have a can of Sockeye Salmon here. Serving size is 100g, about 1/2 can. 8g fat, including 2g sat, 2g O3, 3g mono, .3g O6, some rounding here but overall a good fat profile that would support muscle building and fat loss. This one is salt free so only 80mg sodium, 350mg potassium, 19g protein. 20% DV Calcium, 400% of Vit D. Ingredients, Sockeye Salmon.

That's a good protein source.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:25 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stuward wrote:
Ingredients, Sockeye Salmon.

That's a good protein source.

Love me some wild caught salmon cans frOm S'Club as well.
My vast study was limited to Calories and Protein.

Salmon + fresh spinach + Dressing (olive oil + balsomic/redwine vinegar + whole grain mustard)

or

chicken + brocolli + pinapple + walnuts + bleu cheese + ov dressing

so good.
I'm not sure why I"m still fat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:40 pm 

Start keeping a food log in the online journal section. I'll critique what I see and maybe that will help. Just recording what you eat sometimes is an eye opener, as in "did I really just eat 2 boxes of girl guide cookies?" (I actually heard that over the cubicle wall yesterday.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:04 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

sorry, I was being a bit tongue in cheek ther.
you've turned me into a troll.
I mean, I eat more healthy foos that a lot lot lot of slim folks I know. But, I also eat some crud. Just put back on about 20 lbs though, and dangit, I swear it gets harder and harder.

Pie is a weakness, but if I consider all that I've eliminated, and the good stuff replacing it. One thing is when I went to full fat stuff, I perhaps abused it a bit. Large servings of yogurt with 23 g fat / serving. Glasses of full fat milk, with my chocolate cake, instead of skim. I know I know, its the cake thats the problem.. But, I'm eating less and still I put back on the weight. Ok, not my thread, sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:06 pm 

Isn't that typical of so many people, though? Skim milk with chocolate cake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:51 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
... But, I'm eating less and still I put back on the weight. ....

Oscar, in a new thread, over the next couple of days, I'll write a guide to fat loss putting things in priority. There are a number of issues I repeatedly see, here and elsewhere. So much information that is out there is just tinkering around the edges without the big picture os it has to be confusing. This is way off topic to the point of this thread but too important to drop.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:41 am 

I'll second the request for a food log from you Oscar, with all of us in your corner it'll make things easier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:08 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

The support is nice, even touching
I suspect a log will influence my choices, which, might be a good thing for results, but less so for information. Still, the challenge of getting enough protein without excessive calories will be there

Stu,
I'm sure we have plenty of info here, that's not a good excuse for me. A thread with more centralized info couldn't hurt though, you've given much help already.

In a sentence, if you could help me stop using food to asociate with happiness in my mariage. Wife and I got fat together, ate out a lot late, went to Denny's drank alcohol, pig out often, and basically, even as I've come out of the doldrums days, with a better job, working out, better atiitude, she is still stuck in a rut. And eating together still provides that connection. She tells me "don't worry about me, eat what you want". But, she's happier when we share our meals together and eat out, or like the good ole days. I think she feels I'm leaving her behind and she is holding us back (so subconsciously I hold back, i.e. don't achieve all I can be). Now, I know, that none of us can thrive in this codependent relationship. I have to get back to showing the leadership I started at the end of '09, and that includes consistantly eating proper. If wife comes along, great, if not, maybe we'll have a tough going, but if I suck, then we dont have as chance.

In relevant summary, I think I'm better on the "what to eat" and less solid on the "emotional/mental motivation". I still need to read the Warrior Diet, but for sure, cycling carbs/calories to limit the majority to small windows fits me fine. I like the idea of a large feast, and can go hours with mini snacks, piece of fruit, small serving of yogurt, small can of tuna, type snacks. I need to read more.

Take this labor day weekend as we vist our parents
But thats no good when we go to Cracker Barrel after funeral with my inlaws and only the wife and I get dessert. Me Berry Cobbler, hey its fruit!, she coca cola chocoate cake. Both were ala mode, obviously. The skinny relatives just watched, surely thinking "well, that's why you two are fat". For meal, I have a low carb grilled pot roast w/mushroom and onion (gravy was pan juices), turnip greens, and two other veg, I can remember, maybe corn, not casserols or syrupy apples, nothing like that. So, I made decent choice, then blow it with dessert. (and too many corn muffins)
Next night, out with Dad and his girlfriend. I suggest appetizers, fried and/or covered with sweet sauces. Entree I have grilled salmon, with mix steamed veg, and brown rice. Then, I'm the only one getting dessert.

Actually, my sweet tooth is worse than ever. Either that, or it seems that way because whereas I used to always eat poorly, now its more localized.
I've lost 40 lbs before putting 20 back on, it's a bit eye opener, disheartening. A little cheating leads to this - more cheating, and as if my body says "whooo, we were wondering if you were going to try to lose all this fat, thank goodness. Now, we have the old Clint back, lets get some ince cream!"

ETA: The timing of the weight gain came after I asked "Should I get stronger or lose fat" and some said "Do both, Fatty" but I listened more to those that said "Get Stronger, Pussy". I am shocked, seriously, at how much faster the weight went back on, compared to how long it took the first time.

food log, I'll give it a consideration

(OP seems to have left the tread, so I used this chance to vent)