ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:07 pm 

Heya,

Could you guys check my form on Deadlift please?

Deadlift last warm-up. 185 pounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHdbOyECA-s
Deadlift work set. 215 pounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_YSSZwhCc

I'm just still not sure about these. I re-read some of the section on Deadlifts in SS after thinking I was having problems with them the last workout. At the beginning of it, Mr. Rippetoe describes the exercise as being tough or something. That it's there to get us used to mentally and physically tough exercises. The video's I took seemed somewhat decent, so maybe I should just stop being a puss and man up. lol, not sure.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide! I do see rounding in the lower back region, but I think that is just my extra tire. It felt like my lower back was extended while doing it.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:30 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

How does you back feel immediately after doing it? You say you're extending your lower back but it's not extended when you approach the bar. If you can't maintain the arch on the way down to the bar, it's pretty hard to maintain it on the way up.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:50 pm 

My back feels pretty good after. I still have that nagging pain from when I was scouting out wood a month back. Whenever I do deadlifts, the pain goes away, lol. Should be the other way around, but oh well.

Yeah, I did notice the rounding of the back a little when setting the bar back down. I'll have to keep an eye on that. When I set to go up, I feel pretty good and extended. I might have to try a bit better next exercise. I widened my stance from the last couple of deadlift rounds and it felt a bit easier to do. I might widen it just a little bit more next time to see how that works out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:12 pm 

Yep, pretty clear rounding. Fix that before you start going heavy. In fact, go down as low as you need to to get your back right. Focus on the basic cues; shoulders back, weight on heels, chest up, belly out. Dan John says "Buddha Belly".

Also, you don't need to completely reset between reps. If you get set right for your first rep, you can just go back down until the bar is on the floor, wait a second or 2, then go with the next rep. When you raise up, let go of the bar, then have to regrip, reset, you lose tightness, and time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:56 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Yep, pretty clear rounding. Fix that before you start going heavy. In fact, go down as low as you need to to get your back right. Focus on the basic cues; shoulders back, weight on heels, chest up, belly out. Dan John says "Buddha Belly".

Also, you don't need to completely reset between reps. If you get set right for your first rep, you can just go back down until the bar is on the floor, wait a second or 2, then go with the next rep. When you raise up, let go of the bar, then have to regrip, reset, you lose tightness, and time.

When I dead lift I tap and go. I don't deload at the bottom probably because I work out at planet fitness and can get into trouble for dropping weights or banging them on the floor.

I wonder if I could do more weight if I was able to bang around the weights.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:46 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm curious, it seems you're hanging for awhile at the top. Any particular reason?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:19 pm 

I stop at the bottom and reset because I'm just resting and to take a breath. My fat belly gets in the way of me taking a full breath at the bottom, so I make room for it. I stop at the top to get a breath and then take it back down. Both times where SS says it's appropriate to take a breath, but as you guys mention it and as I'm typing I realize a few things.

1. I may be loosing some energy at the top by staying there too long.
2. If I keep my stance a little wider, I may be able to get a better breath in at the bottom without coming out of the stance.

I think I'll work on those. The wider stance will probably cure me of many of my problems with what ya'll say the rounding is. It will give me more room when I'm down there.

Ya'll think those two things are the most approprate things to work on?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:46 pm 

The critical issue is the lumbar rounding. You've got to be able to keep it neutral above all other considerations. You don't need to take a breath at the top. Doing so sacrifices tightness. I think I let my breath out just as the plates touch down, grab a quick one in and go. When I'm tired I end up taking more than one breath at the bottom.

Yeah, experiment a little with stance, but the lumbar neutrality is the big issue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:02 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

lumbar rounding was all I saw as well.
Seeing your squats, I figure you have ample flexibility

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:06 pm 

You take painfully long between each rep.

EDIT:

Get your ass lower. Don't stress where you start in relation to your scapula foot etc tec etc. Just don't let the bar get out in front of your and you'll be fine. The way you set up now is rounding your back, and you are flexible enough to get low, like oscar said.

Also you are lifting the bar and not pulling it. You basically straighten your legs, and then lift it with your back. It shoudl be one fluid motion. Break the floor, push earth down with heals, break your knees, squeeze your glutes like ***insert locker room joke***, lock it out....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:51 pm 

nygmen wrote:
You take painfully long between each rep.

EDIT:

Get your ass lower. Don't stress where you start in relation to your scapula foot etc tec etc. Just don't let the bar get out in front of your and you'll be fine. The way you set up now is rounding your back, and you are flexible enough to get low, like oscar said.

Also you are lifting the bar and not pulling it. You basically straighten your legs, and then lift it with your back. It shoudl be one fluid motion. Break the floor, push earth down with heals, break your knees, squeeze your glutes like ***insert locker room joke***, lock it out....

Very great way to explain the exercise gymen. Listen to him he knows what he is talking about.

Kyle Chandler