ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: You are going to die
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:10 pm 

RobertB wrote:
I dont see many 6'4 guys over 65 so I dont think I'm gunna be a 90 year old anyway !

I just got back from my mother's 80th birthday party and there was a very tall 94 year old there. Other than his knees and his hearing he was in exceptional health. He drove himself to the party.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:17 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Good to know Stu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:01 pm 

RobertB wrote:
Good to know Stu

BTW from what I read it doesnt matter what you eat as long as you get the protein needed for said goals and the right amount of vitamins and minerals. If you eat 5000 calories a day and your minimum caloric daily requirements are 2300 burn off another 1700 at the gym.

Talking about that 5000 calorie a day diet...lmfao anyone remember when I was bulking up a few years ago and did that and gained 25 lbs in the first month? Ironman didn't believe me. Funny thing is it was mostly fat!!! hahaha Learn as we go.

You can live till 90 robert haha!!!

I don't know about all you guys but when my main goal is just waking up the next day that may be a scary time...Just saying.

Who came up with this aging and dying crap anyways? I will be more than happy to be a guinea pig for the immortality drug if they ever need lab rats!!

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:37 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

John, you don't really want to live forever:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18708_5- ... death.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are reasons why death would be better than immortality, but those are not them. Those do not seem like valid reasons. If you can avoid diseases of aging why is Alzheimer's an exception? If a new race of hominids that evolve from us take over, who cares? There will still be some of us around, and if not, who's to say we won't get along with the hominids that evolve from us?

It's living moment by moment in the one dimension of time we have that is not only the problem, but logically impossible. If it begins it ends. You cannot have infinity with a starting point, and as time must have a starting point, time cannot be infinite. You could exist in multiple time dimensions where moments do not happen sequentially forever, but that would not be like the way we understand forever, although it would be infinite. But as far as we know, we cannot exist outside this reality. Time is linked to the expansion of space, so that must be finite too. So in many trillions of years, there will be nothing but black holes, in a time exponentially greater than that, there will be nothing but the energy of the vacuum. Any immortality would cease prior to that. It's most likely impossible to get in another universe, so that almost certainly wouldn't work either. So immortality is likely impossible anyway. However you could possibly live a number of years so great it would be far beyond anyone's comprehension, and be indistinguishable from infinity as far as you are concerned at this moment.

Given that there are almost certainly an infinite number of universes, it is not impossible for something to have the exact same electrical impulses and chemical reactions that brought about your self-awareness here. So living another life you are conscious of, that has no link to this one, may be possible, but there is no way you could ever know that.

Keep in mind virtually immortal people would quickly overrun the earth, so we would have to settle on other planets. Life may also become a real drag after a few thousand years. You would have no way to comprehend how that would be with our limited frame of reference, so there is no way to know if that would be at all desirable.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:11 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

someone be smokin the Buddha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:58 pm 
former lurker

Eat healthy, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't use drugs... make your unhappy living keep longer...;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:16 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

WeBarelyKnewYa wrote:
Eat healthy, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't use drugs... make your unhappy living keep longer...;)

Finally, someone bumps an old worthwhile thread.

Thanks for putting your stamp on this

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:46 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
But I’m not sweating over eating too much banana pudding, or Chinese take out, because it will increase my chances of dying by 6% of a particular Cancer.
Maybe I’d like to eat in a way that will direct me to die a less painful death but otherwise, I want to have good health to support my lifestyle, while not denying/worrying about the cheating.

I think that with cancer you are doomed to pain with all those radiations. Unless you manage to discover it too late. So that won't work well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Stefan 93 wrote:
I think that with cancer you are doomed to pain with all those radiations. Unless you manage to discover it too late. So that won't work well.

Radiation treats the pain from the Cancer.
But yeah, I'm shooting for massive heart attack in my deep sleep. Not Cancer.