ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:49 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7496
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Sounds like the kind of place that might get new stuff if you asked about it.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:23 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
Jungledoc wrote:
Sounds like the kind of place that might get new stuff if you asked about it.


The only thing I can't really work around is a TBar stand. I can't find a good corner to stick the end of the bar in right now.

But the chained rows are cooler right now anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:57 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
I have to ask why so many Db Raises Sunday? You did a ton.
Are you doing these?
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... aises.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:23 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I have to ask why so many Db Raises Sunday? You did a ton.
Are you doing these?
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... aises.html



http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... Raise.html

The ones you posted don't work well for me.

I did a lot for the volume.

EDIT: switched the link to the right one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:47 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
nygmen wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I have to ask why so many Db Raises Sunday? You did a ton.
Are you doing these?
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... aises.html

I did a lot for the volume.


:scratch: <-- that's the "no $h1t" emoticon

But WHY did you want so much volume?
I counted about 180 of them.


Always supporting pencil pushers who train like maniacs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
But WHY did you want so much volume?
I counted about 180 of them.


Always supporting pencil pushers who train like maniacs.



HAHA. Well seeing as I'm only training them once a week I am trying to make up for it with volume.

Plus my lateral heads can take a pounding and keep on going. I'm saying, around 150 reps last week and I could have hit them again in 24-36 hours, so I figure I would go a touch lighter and hit them a bit extra.

I was shooting for 200ish reps in total, and I think I did that with the cable raises.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:21 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7496
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Quote:
(BB press)190x4
Quote:
God I'm a pussy.
Nygmen appears to contradict himself here. Does he?

Yep, he does. :smile:

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:55 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
Jungledoc wrote:
Quote:
(BB press)190x4
Quote:
God I'm a pussy.
Nygmen appears to contradict himself here. Does he?

Yep, he does. :smile:


HA, very good.

Thanks doc. I just feel like I should have gotten 6 or maybe 7, but even the 4 I got were high.

I don't know, I just have no patience for my press. Why they can't move like my pulls IDK but it is annoying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:06 pm 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1349
Location: New York, USA
Erick, it seems like you're doing a program of squat/dead, then pressing, then what looks like a day of accessories focused on arms. Am I getting this right? What kind of split would you call that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:22 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
KenDowns wrote:
Erick, it seems like you're doing a program of squat/dead, then pressing, then what looks like a day of accessories focused on arms. Am I getting this right? What kind of split would you call that?


When I'm not working late nights I pretty much run a 4 way. Trying to double up weakest area's the most.

Lower
shoulders
back
chest

I certainly don't have a day of accessories, lol. I assume though, that you are referring to tonight's as the accessories day. Tonight was back day, and lately, in order to give my erectors a break, I've been using more cables and focusing on form and feel targeting the lats & rear delts. I'm telling you. If you went through today with me, you wouldn't call it accessories as your lats screamed for hours.

(You have to understand we see this differently too. You see the world as squat, dead, bench, everything else. I see it as chest, lats, delts, quads, hams, etc etc etc. I mean you would call shrugs an accessory right? Well hit 495 for 110 reps over 4 sets and then come tell me you still think it's an accessory. ;) You know what I'm saying?)

The heavy rowing was taxing my back pulling and squatting as often as I am. I mean sure, I could have loaded up one arm TBars 4 and 5 plates for reps, but I'm trying to hit my 5, 3 & 1 days in Front Squat & Pulls in a seven day spread this week. I need my lower back to recover. I pulled last night, so I really shouldn't be rowing heavy tonight and expect myself to be ready for 90%+ for 4 or 5 reps on Saturday.

So... tomorrow I'll either bench, or take off. (Depends if I go out drinking or not really, lol). Saturday I will squat & pull, and Sunday hit shoulders. Monday back, Tuesday chest, Wednesday back or legs, Thursday shoulders, Friday legs or off... And so on and so forth.

I really don't know what I'm going to do any given day when I drive to the gym. I have a loose plan and go forth from where my first couple sets take me. As far as sets, reps and weights, I've only recently used the 531 %'s. Outside of that I always just went by feel and attempted to bust my hump every time in the gym. So, I wouldn't say I'm doing any split other than a four way. Exercise selection changes when I want it to, order changes when I want it to, and I will mix and match or add an subtract as I see fit.

I do everything for a purpose, I'm not just willy nilly tossing weight around, but it would take me pages to explain why I do what and when TODAY. Because tomorrow I might do it different and it would be for a different reason. So if you have specific questions, feel free to ask me more, but for me to go into any more detail than I have, would bore the life out of you, if you aren't already, lol.

Thanks for reading my log man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:34 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1349
Location: New York, USA
nygmen wrote:
I certainly don't have a day of accessories, lol. I assume though, that you are referring to tonight's as the accessories day. Tonight was back day, and lately, in order to give my erectors a break, I've been using more cables and focusing on form and feel targeting the lats & rear delts. I'm telling you. If you went through today with me, you wouldn't call it accessories as your lats screamed for hours.


You don't have to have to convince me. :smile: A friend actually told me he did not think weighlifting was "exercise". I told him, "come down to my basement and do 5x10 squats - any weight you want - and then we'll talk about weights, cardio, and exercise." It was looking at the volume and intensity of your "accessory day" that intrigued me.

So here's my followup. If I understand your approach, it might be "strong is good, looking strong is good, being and looking strong both are great." This is the idea I get from your posts. So I'm wondering with the workouts you do, did you follow the strategy of focusing only on major lifts for a long time to "gain a foundation of strength" before adopting your current split? Or have you always followed more of this type of routine?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:20 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
KenDowns wrote:
If I understand your approach, it might be "strong is good, looking strong is good, being and looking strong both are great." This is the idea I get from your posts.


That might be a better summary than I could have given it myself. Expect me to steal this line many times going forward.

If I made any changes it would be:

"Strong is good, looking strong is good, being and looking strong is best"



Quote:
So I'm wondering with the workouts you do, did you follow the strategy of focusing only on major lifts for a long time to "gain a foundation of strength" before adopting your current split? Or have you always followed more of this type of routine?


I avoided isolation for awhile, but found this forum early enough to at least get it half right. ;)

I had done some reading, made up some crazy push pull, that would have worked given the effort, but I was still a bit far away from where I needed to be. Couple of posts, and I basically bastardized the SS template for myself. I took the core principle of "do the big lift, and do it first" and ran with it (I'm am a firm believer in the 80/20 rule and this solidified it). I also took the "low rep" principle. (Shout out to Stu for the 5 rep range. To this day, thank this man of some of the best advice I've ever gotten weight lifting. 5 reps baby, 5 flipping reps, and make sure they all are work.)

Then I kept reading and reading and reading, article after article, guru after guru, getting my head all twisted up in dogma and what ultimately was book & magazine selling BS... Until one day TimD gave me the best single piece of advice I've ever gotten concerning the iron. "It really is as simple as lift, eat, sleep."

That really struck me. I figured out that, $h1t, this isn't that damn complicated, lol. Just bust your ass and you'll be rewarded for it. So... I decided I was going to pwn every damn lift I did, and if I couldn't, I'd find a lift that did the same for me, and pwn that one, and see what cards it delt me. (I am a good puller, and I'll be damned if I didn't pull my ass off. To the point were I burnt out, and only recently got back into it. I'd be in the 600's if I wasn't dumb about it before.) There are downsides to this, in that you end up avoiding the stuff you are bad at and focusing on what you are good at, but...

So as I moved forward and grew in areas I noticed I wasn't growing in others, so I would add in, swap out, ect ect etc. I would adjust small things now and again and see how they treated me. As I learned where and what I've responded to thus far, I can make bigger changes now, and know the expected results.

wow, that really didn't answer your question at all, lol, did it?

But again man, I'm humbled that you even care what I have to say. Thanks again.

(Also, Hoose told me something that will always stick with me too: After the best explanation on supplements I've ever heard: "But I'm just a dumb farmer, what do I know?" I can't explain how or why that meant so much, but it really does, to this day. I use that in my professional life, constantly.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:43 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1349
Location: New York, USA
Erick, I think right now I'm emerging from the research/book learning stage and into the "I want to pwn the bar" stage. I know what you mean about that, it's good to load up on the theory, it really does help, but there's a point where you've gone over everything and should know enough to just go lift.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:16 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7496
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
nygmen wrote:
(Also, Hoose told me something that will always stick with me too: After the best explanation on supplements I've ever heard: "But I'm just a dumb farmer, what do I know?" I can't explain how or why that meant so much, but it really does, to this day. I use that in my professional life, constantly.)
This is pretty funny. We all know that he's not the least bit dumb. What we don't know is, is he now, or has he ever been a farmer? Last I knew he was a high-powered executive with a corner office, a couple of assistants and a company car. Well, I made most of that up, but it's kinda true.

I'd like to get him to repeat his explanation on supplements!

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:26 am 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Posts: 1802
Location: Mass, USA
Jungledoc wrote:
nygmen wrote:
(Also, Hoose told me something that will always stick with me too: After the best explanation on supplements I've ever heard: "But I'm just a dumb farmer, what do I know?" I can't explain how or why that meant so much, but it really does, to this day. I use that in my professional life, constantly.)
This is pretty funny. We all know that he's not the least bit dumb. What we don't know is, is he now, or has he ever been a farmer? Last I knew he was a high-powered executive with a corner office, a couple of assistants and a company car. Well, I made most of that up, but it's kinda true.

I'd like to get him to repeat his explanation on supplements!



How he doesn't mind, it was from a PM:

Quote:
For some reason I always compare weight lifting to golf to those who don't understand lifting heavy. A high dollar top of the line club means absolutely nothing to me. I won't hit a ball any straighter or any farther. My swing sucks and I have a very casual interest in golf so good equipment is wasted on me. Good equipment in my hands makes me look like I know what I'm doing (until you see my swing that is). Put the same club in your average good player at your average country club and it should improve his game.

Decent supplements/nutrition/nutrition timing is the same way. For your average lifter - guy that will lift for six months at a gym then taper off going to the gym until finally quitting all together - supplements won't do much good. For the long term lifter who busts his ass in the gym day after day, year after a year, supplements can have a very positive impact. To use the same analogy as above - put a name brand supplement in a guy's hand (for sheets and grins we'll say Muscle Milk after a workout) and they look like they know what they are doing. At least until they get under the bar.

But then again, what do I know? I'm just a dumb farmer who likes to lift heavy stuff. Take everything I say with a grain of salt because these are just my opinions.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group