ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:47 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

OK I know calories from fat are the same no matter what type of fat. What about the metabolism of fat?

I can eat well marbled beef and I will be pretty sick (very upset stomach and nausea) within 6 hours
I can slather my salad with safflower oil or olive oil and it will never bother me
I can eat chicken skin and get a little stomach upset
I can eat pork fat and almost nothing happens.
I can eat fish or take a fish oil and taste fish the entire day.

So they are all fat but all different types of fat. What is up here? I would like to eat more beef but just can't seem to stomach any of it unless it is so dry I can't stand it.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:08 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I’m simply responding to see if I got much of this down, since I’ve read it from Stu a few 100 times

Mono Unsaturated, like Olive Oil is high in: Pretty neutral. Have some, consider caloric needs

Poly Unsaturated: If seed oil, bad. Process to extract it leaves bad stuff in oil. Also, high in Omega 6, we need that, but we get so much in diet (prcocessed foods, restaurants, grain fed meats), that best to not get it from oils. Omega 6 – Inflammatory. Some Poly Oils are higher in Omega 3, like Flax Seed: O-3 anti-inflammatory, balances out O6. We should get 4:1 (I think?, or closer to 1:1) for O6 to O3, but we get more like 20:1 under normal American diet. O3 is where your Fish and fish Pill come in.

Saturated (comes with Animal products): Has some great stuff. Not the bad guy media wants you to think its is. I think it supports testosterone? Anyway, body needs it, and its not harmful. Just be aware it’s calorie dense.

Transfat: Run away from.

Coconut Oil and other Tropical Oil had these Medium Length Chains, Saturated Fat. I don’t know much but I hear that something you want and we cant get it too many places.

You don’t have to eat beef. It’s just a major sin not too love it!
Chicken Skin is good, breaded with flour and fried in canola oil is bad.
My Fish pills don’t leave after taste for me, but I don’t think I’m really sensitive to that sorta thing.

Again, this is just for my benefit and Stu or Mark or Ironman or Tim or some other non troll will come and slap me down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I was thinking about the digestion of the different fats. I seem to process them differently.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:00 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

my w.a.g. would be that it's not related to the fat, specifically

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:12 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

My WAG is right with Oscar's. Maybe the good Doc may want to chime in on this, but from what I read, and have heard, it may be related to your enzymes, and their ability to breakdown certain food types. This could come from genetics, and your history of ethnicity, going back many, many years. The Arctic types, like enuits thrive on about any type of fat/protein combinations whereas some of the Meditereanean types do not. Again, just a WAG going on some theories I have read/heard.
Tim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:55 pm 

It may be enzymes. That would be a problem with the protein, not the fat. Lean beef would do the same to you as the fat meat. It doesn't sound like that's the issue. You could try digestive enzymes anyway. It won't hurt. Assuming it's the type of fat that's causing the issue, the only type I think could be an issue is the Omega 6. Have you tried grass-fed beef? Conventional beef and chicken is higher in Omega 6. The safflower and olive oils are high in monounsaturates. So is pork. Of course fish is high in omega 3. Try grass fed beef and see how you feel. Most is relatively lean anyway but if O6 is an issue that should correct it. More likely, it's just that you are eating more fat that you are used to, along with a lot of protein, causing you to go into ketosis. That can cause nausea if you're not used to it. That's either something to get used to, or eat more carbs, like sweet potatoes or a little rice with the meal.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:37 am 

The good doctor doesn't have a clue.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:23 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
Have you tried grass-fed beef?
Stuward are you really saying that grass feed beef is that different from corn fed beef (or whatever else they eat)? I am trying to figure out how what the cow eats makes a difference in what the fat is other than as you said more lean.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:47 am 

The fat profiles of grass fed and corn fed cattle are vastly different.

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm

However, depending on how the cattle is raised can have a big difference. Overgrazing leads to leaner beef. I don't see leanness as being a desirable quality in meat, but I consider how the meat is raised to be an important factor.

What we eat, makes a huge difference in out own fat makeup. It's just logical that cattle are affected the same way. Properly fed cows eat at a salad bar all day, green leafy grass and herbs all the time. That diet is rich in O3 and nutrients and it accumulates in their fat. Grains, even corn, are seeds that cattle were not designed to eat. It's high in starch and sugar, which affect the fat, and it's high in O6 which accumulates in the fat.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:15 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
What we eat, makes a huge difference in out own fat makeup. It's just logical that cattle are affected the same way. Properly fed cows eat at a salad bar all day, green leafy grass and herbs all the time. That diet is rich in O3 and nutrients and it accumulates in their fat. Grains, even corn, are seeds that cattle were not designed to eat. It's high in starch and sugar, which affect the fat, and it's high in O6 which accumulates in the fat.
Thanks for the clarification. So I guess bottom line of what you are saying is fats rich in O6 may bother me more than fats rich in O3. Something I will test. I will look for grain fed beef in the meat section and see what happens. I used to be able to eat beef all of the time. I am a true meat and pot girl.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:31 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

"you are what you ate, eats"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:05 am 

The_dog_mom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. So I guess bottom line of what you are saying is fats rich in O6 may bother me more than fats rich in O3. Something I will test. I will look for grain fed beef in the meat section and see what happens. I used to be able to eat beef all of the time. I am a true meat and pot girl.

It's hard to find grass fed beef in grocery stores since producers don't produce enough to supply the big chain stores. Better is to go to a farmer's market and buy it direct. That gives the extra benefit of being able to talk to the person that actually raised the animal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The_dog_mom wrote:
Quote:
Have you tried grass-fed beef?
Stuward are you really saying that grass feed beef is that different from corn fed beef (or whatever else they eat)? I am trying to figure out how what the cow eats makes a difference in what the fat is other than as you said more lean.

Go to Peru sometime and have some chicken or eggs. Tastes like fish. Because they feed all of their livestock fishmeal.

So I'd believe corn vs grass makes a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:28 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Can we have a sense of relevance here though. Cosidering the cost and the volume of meat we'd like to eat, is the difference in O6 to O3 that important? I know Stu you've said before that as long as we watch the consumption of seed oils, and processed foods, the amount in meat is not going to bother us. I guess this is for Dog specifically, and her problems eating some proteins. And maybe not a strong opinion that we all need to drop the corn fed beef.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:00 pm 

how healthy is too healthy? If you can afford, then there's no reason not to get involved. I'd be all over it if I could afford it.

The way I see it, the more healthy stuff I do, the more unhealthy stuff I get to do as a reward. And let's be honest, the unhealthy stuff is the fun stuff