ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:11 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

But I cant afford the unhealthy stuff if I spend so much for my meat.
I thin kthe problem (and no blame on Stu he does everything to help me) but we all read these articles and you wouldn't know if not eating at least a cup of blueberries a day was not worse than eating (fake) lard filled biscuits.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:15 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I hope you know the difference between blueberries and biscuits.

Any advice to eat at least a certain quantity of anything is just wrong. Everybody's different and has different needs. You can go a long time without blueberries. In most places, they're only in season for a month or so anyway. There's a clue right there that you don't need them all the time. Some times you have to just follow your instincts.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:32 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

it's hard to tell if you are beling deliberately obtuse.

I'd type more, but I have to eat my Blueberries. now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:49 pm 

I enjoy being obtuse. My corners are rounded.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:00 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Well you two defiantly aren't square :lol:

Quote:
The way I see it, the more healthy stuff I do, the more unhealthy stuff I get to do as a reward. And let's be honest, the unhealthy stuff is the fun stuff
I second that!

I will give the grain fed beef a try. I really love beef and have not been able to eat much of it for several years. May also have to do with how l like it. Let's just say I like it almost alive.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

The_dog_mom wrote:
Well you two defiantly aren't square :lol:

Quote:
The way I see it, the more healthy stuff I do, the more unhealthy stuff I get to do as a reward. And let's be honest, the unhealthy stuff is the fun stuff
I second that!

I will give the grain fed beef a try. I really love beef and have not been able to eat much of it for several years. May also have to do with how l like it. Let's just say I like it almost alive.

twice you have said "grain"
you may mean grass?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:09 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
twice you have said "grain"

No Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
o to Peru sometime and have some chicken or eggs. Tastes like fish. Because they feed all of their livestock fishmeal.
Ken I will take your word for it but this is pretty fascinating.

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:20 pm 

robertscott wrote:

Well, if you adopt healthy habits just to offset unhealthy ones, you really haven't gained much. If you replace the unhealthy with the healthier, you're getting ahead.

The problem with all of this is degree. It's really hard to judge just how much a particular practice is "worth". Is it "worth it" to spend extra time, effort and money on grass-fed beef? How much healthier will I be if I do this? How many days will I add to my life if I do this? Medical studies sometimes do statistical analysis similar to this. They can also estimate the financial cost of a particular intervention, and give a conclusion of how much it costs to add a day of life on average to the involved patients. It would be nice to have a similar analysis of dietary habits: "eating corn fed beef (or not eating something, or taking a particular supplement, or whatever) starting at age___ will extend the average person's life from age___ to age ___ years, and will cost on average $____." But I'm not holding my breath while I'm waiting for that kind of study to come out. That would make it easier for a person to make up his or her mind about what to bother with. Regardless of your financial situation, it would be a comparison. Intervention A costs .03/day of added life, and intervention B costs $500/day of added life would make the decision easy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:57 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Well, if you adopt healthy habits just to offset unhealthy ones, you really haven't gained much. If you replace the unhealthy with the healthier, you're getting ahead.

my line of thinking is that if I have 2 weeks of eating healthy, exercising properly etc, then 1 day at the weekend during this 2 week period I eat a load of fast food and drink a load of rum, that's a 13:1 healthy:unhealthy ratio, which ain't bad.

it may just be my way of rationalising my rum and pizza fetish but it works for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:09 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

robertscott wrote:
rum and pizza

:pukeleft:

I stick with cokes for pizza

Do you have a mixer for the rum?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:38 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Do you have a mixer for the rum?

nothing fancy, just coke, few bits of lime and some ice. Don't let the simplicity fool you, I'm well known in my circle of mates for mixing a damn tasty rum. Rum of choice is havana especial. Delicious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:02 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

ah a cuba libre

Ok, that works. Just nothing with an umbrella in it, esp with pizza.
No Rum Runner, or Zombies

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:07 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
robertscott wrote:

Jungledoc wrote:

Yes but for me (can't speak for anyone else) it starts out as offset, and I agree you have not gained much but then you can move forward to replace. I used to chew my fingernails in a previous life. The way I quit was one fingernail at a time. I got used to one looking nice and then I no longer wanted to chew it but I still have 9 others, then 8.........you get the idea.

The problem with many people is they come up with this grandiose plan to make changes in their life and try to change too much at one time or exercise too much at one time and they don't set themselves up for success. Same thing in working with dogs, set up for success (albeit small steps) and success breeds success.

My husband is the consummate quitter. He starts out with what he calls a "new leaf" every week and it is so hard for him he fails every week, once he fails he becomes discouraged and gives up the entire plan. I failed so i have to start over next week.

To me this is the beauty in SL. You start with the easy stuff and add every workout and by the time you get to the "fail" stage hopefully you have enough success behind you, you want to beat that challenge no matter what. Ahhh success what a wonderful drug!

bench 100
DL 175

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:43 am 

robertscott wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

my line of thinking is that if I have 2 weeks of eating healthy, exercising properly etc, then 1 day at the weekend during this 2 week period I eat a load of fast food and drink a load of rum, that's a 13:1 healthy:unhealthy ratio, which ain't bad.

it may just be my way of rationalising my rum and pizza fetish but it works for me.
I spose that's a lot better than the other way around!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:14 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

The_dog_mom wrote:
The problem with many people is they come up with this grandiose plan to make changes in their life and try to change too much at one time or exercise too much at one time and they don't set themselves up for success. Same thing in working with dogs, set up for success (albeit small steps) and success breeds success.

well said, I'l take your word that it applies to many people, certainly me.