ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dr Oz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:40 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Stu wrote in another thread "Dr. Oz is nuts." Thought it might be a bit more appropriate to comment here. Yeah, he can be a bit off the wall on saturated fat, but he pretty much agrees with the natural foods vs big food processed stuff, and definately supports organic veg and grass fed meat.

The guys got cajones the size of grapefruits. Last week he went after the FDA on apple juice with arsenic levels being too high, and really pi$$ed them off. This week, he 's going against big pharma by putting out information of holistic healing/prevention and other sorts of alternative medicine, and listing herbs and supplements. I can't wait for big Pharma to go after this one. For those of you in the US, the lobbies are going into congress to try and get supplements banned. This was tried before in the 90's, and luckily, Sen Hatch from Utah got it stopped. What's going to happen this time.

Post subject: Re: Dr Oz
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If Dr. Oz is for alternative medicine, then I agree with Stu. You know what they call alternative medicine that actually works?

Medicine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:16 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Ironman wrote:
If Dr. Oz is for alternative medicine, then I agree with Stu.

I hate alternative medicine. My girlfriend lives with a chick who's got a cabinet full of every herbal remedy in existence, and she's always ill! Now, I'm not saying that the medicine is making her sick, but you'd think she'd have realised it isn't stopping it from happening. She spends a fortune on it.

As for Dr Oz, we don't have that in the UK, but funnily enough I saw 5 minutes of it once in Cuba. He was telling everyone to supplement with fish oil and vitamin D which I thought was pretty cool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:59 am 

The world needs nuts like Dr. Oz, it's just that you can't always take what he says seriously. People tend to hang onto everything he says like it's gospel but IMHO, a lot of what he says is just to be contraversial. However, there is a lot of good in his recommendations. If he shakes up the establishment, that's a very good thing.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:28 am 

stuward wrote:
The world needs nuts like Dr. Oz, it's just that you can't always take what he says seriously. People tend to hang onto everything he says like it's gospel but IMHO, a lot of what he says is just to be contraversial. However, there is a lot of good in his recommendations. If he shakes up the establishment, that's a very good thing.

Actually, Stu, that's the whole point of the show. Put out controversial issues to give both sides of the picture to the public. He doesn't even necessarily agree with the guests. It's just getting the issue out there. One week he had a show on medical marijuana, and had both sides on putting out their views. He didn't take a side at all, just acted as a moderator.