ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:46 am 
former lurker

I would like to know what is the benefit of walking up stairs with 10 kg dumbells in each hand and progressively increasing the load over a period of six months. (ignoring increase in grip strength, I may use backpack instead)

My ideal "stair walk" would be 5 x 15 floor per session (each floor has 28 steps) done every alternate day

I will not include any other exercise for the lower body such as deadlift, squat etc

Will all parts of my legs benefit from this workout? (hams, quad, glutes, calf)

Thanks and happy workout you all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:26 pm 

It would give you a workout but it isn't full range of motion so you would get uneven development and perhaps leave yourselves open to injury. Make sure you include some sort of full range squatting motion. It's also not intense enough to really develop strength. That's basically an aerobic workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:31 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Skipping every other stair should bring more glute/ham in. I think I saw that recommended by some football coach one time... but yea hundreds of reps of anything is going to be cardio, but as far as cardio goes, I'd think stairs would be one of the better choices - up there with the (I imagine) torturous prowlers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:41 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

frogbyte wrote:
Skipping every other stair should bring more glute/ham in. I think I saw that recommended by some football coach one time...

I go up stairs two at a time for that reason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:02 pm 
n00b
n00b

When I was training for the CPAT (the firefighter fitness test in California) I ran stairs w/a 70lb pack for several months. The test required the candidate to climb stairs for 3 minutes straight wearing a 70 pound vest. And we were prohibited from holding the banister.

It was definitely a workout, but primarily a cardio/stamina workout. If you're trying to work your legs for strength/hypertrophy, I'd recommend going with squats, pistols, Romanian DLs, step ups etc. You'll get more results in the same amount of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:26 am 

Get heavier dumbbells and take the stairs 2 or 3 at a step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:34 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

shocker.
you spam.
who woulda thunk it,.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:46 am 
n00b
n00b

I Climb the stairs in my high-rise (28 floors) every night to try to lose my pot-gut. I have tried to find a website that could tell me how many calories this burns, but cant find one. Does anyone here know? It takes me 10 mins to get to the 28th floor and about 7 mins. to get back down (i dont take the elevator back down, i walk back down the stairs). There are 598 steps. Anyone can help?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:48 am 

Melindatrensy wrote:
I Climb the stairs in my high-rise (28 floors) every night to try to lose my pot-gut. I have tried to find a website that could tell me how many calories this burns, but cant find one. Does anyone here know? It takes me 10 mins to get to the 28th floor and about 7 mins. to get back down (i dont take the elevator back down, i walk back down the stairs). There are 598 steps. Anyone can help?

It depends on your weight. It's hard to burn more than about 100 calories or so in 10 minutes of any activity unless you're in exceptional condition. Assuming you're keeping a steadu pace, given the relatively low intensity you won't get much afterburn either. To get a significant calorie burn, you either have to do it longer or increase the intensity. Taking the stairs down may actually be counterproductive. The stress is all eccentric so it's harder to recover from. Better would be to take the elevator down and do another lap. Even better is to do it in 5 floor sprints, rest a minute and do another 5 floors until you get to the top. If you have to pause every few floors to catch your breath, that's good. If you're not, start running the stairs.

This calculator has stair climbing. http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/c ... ulator.asp

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:53 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I find jammin my shin against a step when exhusted has minimized my stair sprinting
no joke.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]