ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:46 am 
Rookie
Rookie

when it comes to supplements and protein powder and all of the other things you can take to help you workout is it best to workout without taking them or is it best to take them im really not sure if im asking this question right but i hope you all know what i mean . if it is best to take supplements protein powders etc. what ones are best . will i see a faster improvement in myself?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:57 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

There is a general agreement that 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight (unless you are heavily obese) per day is a good amount for somebody pushing themselves on heavy weights.

I find it hard to eat enough food to get that much protein, so I use protein powder simply as a convenience.

In this sense it is not a "supplement". I'm supposed to get that much protein anyway, but it is convenient to take the powder, makes it easier to manage my diet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:01 am 
Rookie
Rookie

what about when it comes to certain types of performance enhancers are those good to take? besides protien what kind of things should i tae someone told me its not good for women to take protien powder...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:34 am 
Rookie
Rookie

or what about some kind of fat burner how good is it to take that kind of stuff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Kelsea, for your other questions I'll have to let others chime in because I take no supplements at all, except for vitamins and minerals. I take calcium because I don't get much dairy, and a multi-vitamin mostly because it can't hurt and it makes sure I've got my vitamins.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 am 

Kelsea, there are many, many kinds of "supplements" and "performance enhancers" out there. Which ones are you talking about? And we know next to nothing about you, so how can we answer this kind of general question? How heavy are you? What's your body fat? What's your diet like.

Most of the supplements and performance enhancers out there are worthless, but there are a few things that have potential value for some people.

There's nothing any different about a woman using protein powder than a man using it. Is it dangerous for a woman to eat meat? Eat eggs? Drink milk? There is protein in all of those. If you are lifting heavy, and can't get enough protein in your diet, the powder is a convenient way to get what you need.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:20 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

KenDowns wrote:
There is a general agreement that 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight (unless you are heavily obese) per day .

I think you can get around this caveat by saying # grams per lean body mass.

And women should not take protein powder.

Nor drive.

nor have their names mentioned in an establishment that serves alcohol.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:55 pm 

kelsea123,

You can get all the nutrients you need from food if you pay attention to what you eat. However, not everyone is perfect in that regard so it does make sense to supplement on nutrients you're concerned about. Extra protein will help in fat loss. It does this by preventing muscle loss while in a calorie deficit. It also is satisfying so you can eat less. If you're trying to gain weight in can help you as well, but you need more carbs and fats in order to create a calorie surplus. Notice that calorie deficit or surplus is what makes the difference between fat loss and muscle gain. Nothing you do will make a difference if that condition is not met. You can cycle through each state in order to loss fat and gain muscle at roughly the same time. My favorite protein supplement are eggs and sardines.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley