ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:40 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ironman wrote:
The dumbest is the idea that modifying a gene that is responsible for a piece of anatomy in a particular animal, can somehow be used by bacteria. Bacteria can use the genes from other strains of bacteria, but it can't use a gene for a bit of anatomy it doesn't have.

Pardon me if I am understanding this completely wrong (you may be making a statement different to how I am perceiving), but bacteria is quite able to use genes from other organisms, mammalian included. Artificial Insulin production is used through inserting and ligating a human insulin gene transcript into a bacterial RNA plasmid.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Danomite wrote:
Ironman wrote:
The dumbest is the idea that modifying a gene that is responsible for a piece of anatomy in a particular animal, can somehow be used by bacteria. Bacteria can use the genes from other strains of bacteria, but it can't use a gene for a bit of anatomy it doesn't have.

Pardon me if I am understanding this completely wrong (you may be making a statement different to how I am perceiving), but bacteria is quite able to use genes from other organisms, mammalian included. Artificial Insulin production is used through inserting and ligating a human insulin gene transcript into a bacterial RNA plasmid.

No that's not what I am talking about. Also you are giving an example of something inserted by people. The claim was about bacteria incorporating something on their own.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ah, took that way out of context. Apologies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Danomite wrote:
Ah, took that way out of context. Apologies.

No need for apologies. You should challenge everything. It might be that you missed an important piece of information, but it might be that you're right too. The important thing is that you're critically analyzing something before accepting it as true.