ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:16 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

(I originally posted this in the challenge thread but figured it was better off in this one)

I'm looking good for this. Got 2 sets of 15 lastnight, all "chest to bar"... BTW, when I train pull ups or chinups, I aim to get the chest right up to the bar on every rep, however, i'll still count "chin over bar" - since that seems to be a full rep in most peoples opinion.

My planned 1 hour session was practically cut down to 30 mins last night so had to switch things up to get more general work done. I alternated sets of pull ups with DB Incline Bench Press, having as little rest as I could cope with. I'm still going to do ladders this week but won't do any weighted pull ups - I was actually planning on doing them lastnight but if I did, that's all I would of got done.

KPj

EDIT: On sunday - my "do whatever I like" day, I supersetted ladders. Pull ups were 1,2,3,4,5, with push ups, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. This isn't something i'm going to regularly so I didn't record it, but it was about 4 of each I got. I just felt like doing it, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:05 am 

i tried that ten sets with half your max thing last night. Not sure how I feel about it to be honest, it was only the last two sets that felt challenging. Maybe I was resting too long but it didn't feel like it. I might try it again and use 1 rep more than my max, it still works out as ten more reps in total so it can't be a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:29 am 

Well, doesn't anything that you can do for high reps feel easy on the first few reps and/or sets? It's just another way of training increased volume.

Post subject: Re: Pull Up Training
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:42 am 
Necromancer
Necromancer

Jungledoc wrote:
Keep Your Chin Up: How to master the king of relative strength tests And here's one by Thibaudau in T Nation. The advice is more conventional thatn Ferruggia's, but some of you might be interested.

Oh hey speaking of Christian, while I question its value for the hamstrings, his reverse squat movement might be an interesting way to stimulate the lats:
:)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:01 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've seen great results from my self and others by doing pull-ups these multiple ways.

mix up these routines

1. Some days Do sets of max bodyweight reps.
2. Build pull-up endurance (How fast you can do a set number of pullups (ie. 100) improve on your time.
3. most reps with low weight added. (add enough weight to do half your max w/o weight)
4. Heavy weighted pull-ups (for this I personaly pyramid up and back down)

Friendly competition helps a great deal. this is basicly a workout log for multiple people.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... t675911681

My weighted pull-up training log
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... t672620191

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:59 am 

A new pull-up article on T-Nation. I'm not familiar with the author, but I'm going to check him out. He has some interesting pull-up ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

For what it's worth, on some recent elitefts Q&A's, one of the trainers has been suggesting a higher set count with fewer reps to get in significant volume. 10x3, 10x4, etc. for those with the goal of higher consecutive pullup numbers. This may seem obvious and not worthy of mention, but I tried it and by the time you're done you can really feel it in your lats.

I usually do AMRAP leaving a couple in the tank for a total of 30-35 or so, but this might be a nice option for those who struggle with this exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:02 pm 

That is a great suggestion. Jason Feruggia (?sp?) suggests that in the article that is, I think, linked earlier in this thread. He suggests doing singles, doubles or triples. I have done that with some good progress.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:59 am 
Necromancer
Necromancer

I should probably do that, I have a bar 6ft away from my comp, really no excuses for avoiding them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:14 am 

Posted on the "Where You Been..." thread:
Dub wrote:
I remember when…
I couldn't do a single chin-up a year back. Not even half a chin-up.

One day soon, I’ll
Get 10 consecutive chin-ups

So, from zero to ten in a year. That's pretty good. How did you go about it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:31 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well general progression of back muscles and arms are getting me there, as they were and still are my weaknessess, especially arms. I started to work out more seriously and with something to achieve. I'm not yet at ten, but I'll achieve it not far from here. I did'nt have a special chin-up program, but I intented to do either pulldowns or chinups every workout. My workout programs have been built around maximal strength training for a year also. First I would do single reps through out the workout whenever I wasn't recovering between sets. Then I would do doubles and so forth. These days I include chin-ups on my SL program with doubles and triples also. Yesterday I did 7x2 plus one, all clean ones with 30s-1min. rest between sets. Also I've lost some body fat over this and previous year, which can also help.(For a note,nowadays I only weight 73kg, about 160 pounds.)

I would say one of the most important reasons must be the strength increase on my biceps and back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:43 am 

I know my chinups took off when I lost weight. At 216 I couldn't do any but I could do a pull down of 210. At 207, I could do 2 chiin ups. 207 was when my deadlift peaked. Today at 188 I can get 10 off if I push to failure. I don't see that I'm much stronger than I was then but the bodyweight made a huge difference in my chin ups.

(Actually, at 190 with 30 Lb external I can do 1 and it's a harder grip than when I was 207 so there is some strength gain.)

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

Last edited by stuward on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:48 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Also I should note that I was in the Finnish army for half a year during the winter. There we had to in example carry heavy weights and backpacks with us on long marches and did some upper body training on the side also. Not that it did too much for the chin-ups, but I'm sure it improved my back, ab and shoulder endurance and stability.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:34 am 
Novice
Novice

Deadlift – 5/3/1
Bent Over Rows – 4 x12
Chin ups – 4 x10 (or do Lat Pulldowns)
Good Mornings – 4 x10
Hanging Leg Raises – 4 x12

This is my back day in 5/3/1.
I actually do the chin-ups before I do rows.

What do you think of doing like 10x5 instead of 4x10? With rest 30-45 secs.
Does it make sense?
I want to change it up a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:39 am 

Sure, but there's not a lot of "sense" involved. You can try 4x10 for a few workouts, then change to 6x8, if you like. I think rep schemes on chins should have some variety. You can do a strict progression (like try to do even sets across), or you can do several sets to failure (going to failure isn't as bad on things like chins as on big lifts like squat and DL), or you can mix it up. Have you tried ladders? Or singles or doubles or triples and see how many sets you can get (you might want to do a set between every set of everything else you're doing). How about a total rep target, like decide that you're going to get 60 (or 80, or 100 or your grandma's age in as many sets as it takes. Or you can use one day a week for a strict progression, and a different day to go for target reps, or something different. Switch in weighted chins once in a while.