ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alkaline Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:47 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

My mother has invested in a machine that can convert any water at a p.h. level of sayyy 7.0 - 6.5 (neutral aka tap water) to either acidic (generally 2.0) or alkaline (7.5-9 and the odd time 11).

Now usually people would "buffer" any kind of water with chemicals to obtain a desired ph level, generally in a public pool they might use baking soda. Thats not the case with this machine. The water is all pure, and it uses some kinda electric thing (to which i dont understand) to alter the ph level.

Your blood MUST operate at 7.4 ph level to operate, if it doesnt, then it will "rob" nutrients from the rest of your body to sustain the ph level. Its the same thing with every component of your body, which includes your skin, organs and all that jazz. So with so many people eating acidic food these days (fast food, candy, chinese food with MSG), then its no wonder that we may have so many sicknesses. So the theory is that this altered water essentially supplements different parts of your body with the component you need to have a hydrated body.

I dont fully understand how it works, but what I have felt while drinking the water is a heightened sense clarity, when I was smoking weed I could think alot more clearly (not smoking anymore btw!) and when you drink the water, its like you could continually drink water without feeling water sick like you would if you were to drink a tonne of tap water, it just doesnt seem to hit your stomach the same way tap water would. or for that mater even distilled.

coincidence? im not sure, theres alot of science books and people like doctors that will say this machine is just another gimmick designed to sucker people into wasting alot of money. Is it? im kinda sitting on the fence here. My friends seem to think the water has a placebo effect. If you think it will work, then it will.

what do you think?

Post subject: Re: Alkaline Water
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:47 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

soulblazer27 wrote:
My mother has invested in a machine that can convert any water at a p.h. level of sayyy 7.0 - 6.5 (neutral aka tap water) to either acidic (generally 2.0) or alkaline (7.5-9 and the odd time 11).

[...]

what do you think?

I think I will not be taking investing advice from your mother

j/k, it's probaby a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Okay, so I thought this sounded strange, so I found this: http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html

Quote:
The bottom line

Here, in a nutshell, are a few basic facts that I believe anyone with a solid background in chemistry or physiology would concur with:

* "Ionized water" is nothing more than sales fiction; the term is meaningless to chemists.
* Pure water (that is, water containing no dissolved ions) is too unconductive to undergo signficant electrolysis by "water ionizer" devices.
* Pure water can never be alkaline or acidic, nor can it be made so by electrolysis. Alkaline water must contain metallic ions of some kind — most commonly, sodium, calcium or magnesium.
* The idea that one must consume alkaline water to neutralize the effects of acidic foods is ridiculous; we get rid of excess acid by exhaling carbon dioxide.
* If you do drink alkaline water, its alkalinity is quickly removed by the highly acidic gastric fluid in the stomach.
* Uptake of water occurs mainly in the intestine, not in the stomach. But when stomach contents enter the intestine, they are neutralized and made alkaline by the pancreatic secretions — so all the water you drink eventually becomes alkaline anyway.
* The claims about the health benefits of drinking alkaline water are not supported by credible scientific evidence.
* "Ionized"/alkaline water is falsely claimed to be an anti-oxidant. It is actually an oxidizing agent, as can be seen by its ability to decolorize iodine (see video)
* There is nothing wrong with drinking slightly acidic waters such as rainwater. "Body pH" is a meaningless concept; different parts of the body (and even of individual cells) can have widely different pH values. The pH of drinking water has zero effect on that of the blood or of the body's cells.
* If you really want to de-acidify your stomach (at the possible cost of interfering with protein digestion), why spend hundreds of dollars for an electrolysis device when you can take calcium-magnesium pills, Alka-Seltzer or Milk of Magnesia?
* Electrolysis devices are generally worthless for treating water for health enhancement, removal of common impurities, disinfection, and scale control. Claims that "ionized" waters are antioxidants are untrue; hypochlorites (present in most such waters) are in fact oxidizing agents.

Apparently, it's a scam. Eat more fruit and vegetables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:11 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I don't have any problems drinking tap water, I also don't drink tons of water.

It does sound like a placebo effect, I'm sure if your friends set up a double dlind study you wouldn't be able to tell jack.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:14 am 

soulblazer27 wrote:

I dont fully understand how it works, but what I have felt while drinking the water is a heightened sense clarity, when I was smoking weed...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:59 am 

karensmith wrote:
A water ionizer machine splits water into ionized acidic and ionized alkaline fragments through the process of electrolysis. The Ionized Alkaline Water has anti oxidants present, which neutralizes the free radicals/toxins in our body, thereby preventing diseases. Alkaline water also hydrates your skin to prevent premature aging.
I've tried the ionized alkaline water from the Tyent USA Water Ionizers. It had a good flavor and I felt refreshed and more energetic, all the time.

Uh-huh. Yep. Ionizer machines sure do. And what do those ionized fragments do next? They rejoin to form... (drum roll)...(are you ready for this?)...(OK, get ready)... WATER!

Here's the formula:
P-T+F+GS=C
P is the number of people in the world
T is the number of people who took high school chemistry
F is the number of people who took, but forgot high school chemistry
GS is the number of people who took and remember high school chemistry but are extremely gullible and/or stupid
C is the number of potential customers for water ionization machines.

This reminds me of a man I knew in the US who was involved in a company that made and distributed super oxygenated water. He was quite sure that this water could raise your oxygen levels for hours after drinking a 12-oz bottle. I think he wanted me to become a sales agent, or to recommend the water to my patients. I couldn't convince him that there are no channels for O2 absorption in the GI track, nor that the body adjusts the oxygen content of the blood within minutes. He had tried it, and it worked for him, and there was no changing his mind with facts. He probably thought that I was part of some AMA conspiracy to suppress useful medical advances! He gave me 2 bottles of the water. I drank one. It tasted like bottled water. For several hours after drinking it I felt less thirsty. I kept the other bottle on a shelf in my office for several years, but threw it away (or maybe I finally drank it) when I was cleaning out my office to move to PNG.

How did I miss this when it was first posted?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:07 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

no wories.
I was on the job

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:07 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
no wories.
I was on the job

And a good job it was too.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:13 pm 
n00b
n00b

All you need is to make sure your water is as pure as possible. Make sure there are no harmful petroleum derivatives, bacteria, organics or chemicals. A big one that people don't think about is most town and city water supplies have chlorine, chloramine, and other harmful chemicals added to "disinfect". But for the most part, you do more damage to your body through absorption and inhalation than you do drinking it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:06 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

some put fluoride in too!