ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Erick's Log Comments
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:35 am 

KenDowns wrote:
Erick, I think right now I'm emerging from the research/book learning stage and into the "I want to pwn the bar" stage. I know what you mean about that, it's good to load up on the theory, it really does help, but there's a point where you've gone over everything and should know enough to just go lift.

Yup... Pretty much.

It should get simpler for you too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:22 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
nygmen wrote:
Deads
500x1
520x0
520x0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQrhTo1PoMU

well, I'm back to where I was last year, 15lbs lighter and stronger on reps, but not stronger on 1rm, $h1t. Gonna be a long road to 600. My hips keep shooting. I think I'm going to jump on the "get strong, or get fat trying" band wagon again. I played around with the whole "diet" thing and even started a trail run, but life bullshti kept preventing me from starting for real... I don't know right now.

You sound frustrated. I know that if you're not where you want to be, it's frustrating, no matter how big the numbers sound to someone else, but that 500 looked great to me. You're still on the road to where you want to be.

Thanks a lot andy, means a lot. It felt good.

I don't know if I'm frustrated or disappointed. I had been thinking about that run at a single for a long time, and hard anticipation for the last 3 ro 4 days.

I just really, really though I would get more than 500, at least 520 if not 545.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:09 am 

Well, how far away can it be? Sometimes the difference between missing and locking a lift can be tiny, so if you're just a couple of ounces short, or a bit off on your rest, or a bit short nutritionally you can miss one day, and still not be far off. Back off for a week or two, and run at it again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:19 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

As you know, I'm definately not qualified to critique, so take this from a " I need to learn so, I post thoughts " prospective

First, your upper back looks locked in on your pulls, and squats for that matter. It appears that you rely on this upper back to a larger extent on your deads, than I ... well {interrupted my typing to actualy go watch heavy ass pulls}.. you know, as I look at more video now of big pulls, it seems the heavier the pull, the more percentage is borne by the back.
Rather than embarass myself with wide speculation do you agree with my admittedly rookie observation? And if so or not, why?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:06 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
As you know, I'm definately not qualified to critique, so take this from a " I need to learn so, I post thoughts " prospective

First, your upper back looks locked in on your pulls, and squats for that matter. It appears that you rely on this upper back to a larger extent on your deads, than I ... well {interrupted my typing to actualy go watch heavy ass pulls}.. you know, as I look at more video now of big pulls, it seems the heavier the pull, the more percentage is borne by the back.
Rather than embarass myself with wide speculation do you agree with my admittedly rookie observation? And if so or not, why?

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking me.

Do I do what I tell people not to and pull with my back? Sure. Certainly gets worse with repped sets. I prefer touch and go to dead stop over 3 reps. My form goes to $h1t either way though. The closer to a 1rm, the more I'll try and make sure I use my legs, but... It doesn't always work that way.

As for the upper back, get your shrugs up. The more bullet proof your traps are, the better off you will be in that department. I don't have to think about it much anymore. But my shoudlers used to roll forward

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:12 pm 

A true life or death pull, I would round my back, let my shoulder roll and ramp the ever living $h1t out of it, but I'd get it up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:37 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Yes, I've added Shrugs and High Pulls a couple weeks ago.

I think you got my question. Rather than trying to save embarrassment, I'll just re ask/state:

Yes, your hips appear a bit high. But as I looked around, many real heavy pullers had higher hips and some had not so high. Deadlift has a range of preferences, I guess. I'm interested in learning more about pros and cons of various styles, especially as I've modified my own recently (too soon to say). In the end the bar goes from the floor to belt high, in a straight line. Does it just depend on which of your levers can do the most work? For me, I get lower down (or did before the recent change) and use more leg/quad drive. If my upper back was fit, maybe I'd tend to use it more.

I'm too tired and rambling. Sorry, sometimes written words are difficult for me to use to make a point for wihch I know so little. lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:54 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Does it just depend on which of your levers can do the most work?

Nope.

All that matters is accomplishing your goal and not getting injured.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:04 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I'm convinced watching CNBC is not doing it for me in the gym!
long live Rock
and way to go gorilla.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:17 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I don't think that's even you in that video.

It's an eminence front. It's a put-on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:43 pm 

haha, thanks guys.

Oscar, I do wear my head phones, I'm not amping myself up to the songs you hear.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:36 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

hi.
what are "Bonez"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:25 pm 

They are 'Behind the back cable lateral raises"

I poster on another board called "bonez" told them about me. And his name is shorter than the actual.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:42 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

nygmen wrote:
They are 'Behind the back cable lateral raises"

I poster on another board called "bonez" told them about me. And his name is shorter than the actual.

That dude makes me chuckle. Dishes out truth with just a slight bit of sarcasm. From what I see, he tries to help new guys, if they'll listen.
Glad you dug out of the snow to hit the gym again. Your logs give me a way out the goal to aspire too
For 700+ I'll watch a Shrug video

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:08 am 

I speak to him over email fairly regularly. Good kid, great head on his shoulders and very willing to help.

He doesn't like bull$h1t, and I can appreciate that.

EDIT:

Thanks for reading the log and finding inspiration in it...

I'm just a meathead, and it is nice to know it helps some people, lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next