ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:47 am 
Novice
Novice

I've been eating fairly consistently and working out for the last month, and intend to keep doing so as it's going well and I'm pretty sure it's healthy. I just wanted some opinions to make sure though.
First of all, my goal is to lose as much weight as possible (I'm currently at 86kg and was 74kg a couple of years ago... this is with the glorious help of antidepressants mind you) without losing too much muscle. I'm not a muscly bloke but I'm definitely getting bigger and don't want to lose it all by just sticking to diet and cardio. I do about 3 fairly intense 45 minute weight lifting workouts a week. I don't care about getting huge though. I'd just like to be lean with a bit of muscle definition.

4 days a week my breakfast is an omelette with asparagus, tomato, ham, spinach and onion. 1 day a week I'll have a fruit salad and yoghurt.

I usually have some almonds between breakfast and lunch.

Lunch is usually either salad with meat, a wholemeal sandwich with meat and salad, or some sushi.

Between lunch and dinner I'll have a can of tuna and maybe a spoonful of peanut butter (i know the peanut butter is bad but Jesus I love the stuff...)

For dinner I'll either have meat and salad, a tuna and celery thing I do with brown rice (sounds gross but it's so good and has become a standard since I moved out), and usually once a week I'll have a pasta dish.

So that all sounds pretty reasonable doesn't it? Is there anything I should change?

Unfortunately I think the thing that has been holding me back from really killing the fat is my weekend alcohol intake. It's good old Aussie binge drinking at it's best. So from Monday to Friday evening it all goes to plan and then Saturday and Sunday I pretty much do the opposite of what I should be doing in regards to eating. I'd also consume about 20 standard drinks (beers) a night on Friday and Saturday night. I do plan to reduce this fairly soon as it's dangerous as hell.

Should I be trying to include more exercise in there or could it just be the weekend madness that fv(k with my progress? I'm assuming the latter...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:14 am 
n00b
n00b

Try to avoid meat and add some more vegetables in your diets .
Remember Weight loss comes down to burning more calories that you take in!!!
best wishes to you honey :thumbright:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:34 am 

Faina wrote:
Remember Weight loss comes down to burning more calories that you take in!!!
best wishes to you honey :thumbright:
Oh yeah, try to avoid meat at all costs. It's just full of terrible fat and other stuff. Don't eat it.

And weight loss just "comes down to burning more calories that you take in"! So eat doughnuts, just not too many of them. I'm sure that you will have no trouble maintaining your muscle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Quote:

For the sake of protein intake, I wouldn't recommend less meat. No protein means no muscles(roughly said). Maybe less of bad fats and carbs? But most importantly and obviously, cut down the alcohol. Maybe to one or two per weekend. That cuts hundreds of calories, and a lot of carbs from your weekly portions. Having an unsteady diet where you have several bad days and several good days is not the way to diet.

Also I would recommend some other exercises once or twice a week than just weight lifting. Maybe some aerobic exercise? You can do them also on small portions before or after your workouts also. Every exercise is always positive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 am 

The alcohol is the whole problem. 1 or 2 drinks a night would be OK but more than that is detrimental. The volume you consume would very likely lead to a pot belly, probably already has. Egg yolks and liver will mitigate the liver damage you're creating but it's like using a bucket to bail out a ship that's broken in two. You may want to find a new hobby.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:10 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Faina wrote:
...And weight loss just "comes down to burning more calories that you take in"! So eat doughnuts, just not too many of them...

I hope that's a joke. A healthy person can get by with a donut once in a while. Yes, volume matters but it would just compound the alcohol problem.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:11 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stuward wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
Faina wrote:
...And weight loss just "comes down to burning more calories that you take in"! So eat doughnuts, just not too many of them...

I hope that's a joke.

did you just wake up?

I felt so let down by the OP. The diet was coming right along... and at first, I thought, this is like me, pretty much eat good things but can't avoide the weekend damage - but then, 20 standard drinks!, gimminaey Christmas. It sounds more like a brag post than a serious attempt/request for answers.

The brown rice with tuna and celery actually sounds good. But then again, I like everything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
...did you just wake up?

Pretty much. I was actually working, when I should have been paying attention here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:03 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Precisely!

:grin:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

Oscar I'm 26 I got over bragging about alcohol 8 years ago... I actually tend to play it down. If someone I know asks me how much I drink I'm not gonna tell them. It's embarrassing. Alcoholic in the making right here!
I'm pretty sure just reducing my alcohol intake on the weekend would change everything. I wouldn't eat the junk food either. I might start drinking vodka sodas. They're fairly low cals hey.
So other than that it's all good? I will add some cardio a couple times a week I think. Might just start walking. Running screws my knees up. I just moved to Bondi and there is plenty to look at.

By the way here's the recipe for the tuna and rice... It's cheap, easy and awesome. Sounds fv(k up but seriously just give it a go.
Half head celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped fine
1 can cream of celery soup
1 425gm can tuna
Rice
Put oil in a pan, soften onion, add the celery and stir for about 5 minutes, put in the can of soup (this is where $h1t gets real... it looks messed up), stir, add tuna, stir. BLAM DONE!
Put it on rice and drown it in Tobasco sauce.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:52 pm 
Novice
Novice

Sorry about all the swears. I didn't realise until I re-read it. I'm a foul mouthed bugger.

Wow Faina seems nice... She called me honey... I tell you what I'm gonna buy whatever she's selling! :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

just get her drunk first.

I put on considerable weight binge drinking from age 23 to 25.

And, I'll probably leave out the Cream of Soup, maybe I"d make some similar with whole milk or heavy cream, but I'm staying away from canned soups. For me, the cheating is limited to things that are worth it, like homemade pot de creme! (at least I try to limit to that. But I keep my healthy foods healthy, and you know, hit the bad stuff with intent, not by dirtying up a fine product like tuna/rice/onion/celery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:29 am 
n00b
n00b

I am glad you like my words dear .... but unfortunately i am not selling anything :tongue: :

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:32 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Faina wrote:
I am glad you like my words dear .... but unfortunately i am not selling anything :tongue: :

What brings you to this board?

We'd like to hear more about you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:21 am 
n00b
n00b

nothing as such ... just love the discussions & interacting with peoples !!