ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:19 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

This is a thinly veiled brag post.

Cutting back on calories this month has actually decreased my lifting potential. Top sets for Squats and Press were noticeable down. This is the first time in my life I recall ever lifting objects heavy enough such that I’m impacted by diet.

That being said, I figure I picked a bad month to go from 3 days to 4, and adding more accessory work and volume.

I’m going to a Semi-SS + 1 protocol now.
Wed: Squat, Press/Bench, High Pull (from floor), Db Lateral Raise
Sat: Squat, Deadlift, Press/Bench, PullUp/ChinUp
Mon: Sgl Leg Squat, Glute Thrust, Db Row, Press/Bench (May do Db Incline/Decline on Mon)

Pallof Press after Squats
Suitcase Carries after Work, a couple days/week
Planks and Deadbugs a couple off days at home

Good idea to keep it heavy and simple while cutting calories significantly ?

Mondays would likely turn to a semi recovery lite day, while the others I'd try to increase weight. I've reset lower on most lifts to start the 3x5 sets across on the compounds

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:12 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

i'd say just dont let it get you down. When cutting, you'll get weaker usually.

The best bit, is when you stop the cut, strength will shoot back up sharply, faster than you think.

Yes, just keep it heavy and simple, thats usually the best way to keep the muscle on.

My .02

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:28 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Oscar, I agree with keeping on or two main lifts per sessions and keeping it fairly heavy, lower olume, but also think some other stuff may be required. Here's a good article by Cosgrove you should probably read and look at his ideas.
http://alwyncosgrove.com/2010/01/hierarchy-of-fat-loss/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:13 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Yes, I have read that.
thank you for responses

I'm certain as I head into November that I will loosen up the strict rules and consume more calories. October has been more "see what I can do without, see what differences removing certain foods, etc, will do" I was begining to doubt whether or not I could affect weight loss. Either because of lack of will power or whether the set point my body had was too strong to overcome by some silly science like Calorie reduction." Well, I sure can tell it's made a difference.

In the near future, I'll be lossening the rules a bit, and consuming some more calories to support some strength gains. It will be during this phase that I'm more interested in incorporating the combination of training and eating that will better serve for fat loss + strength gains. And will be revisiting this article. Until, I get the fat down enough and have to do it with periodization. Right now, I imagine I have plenty of cushion to do both together.

Way back I asked the question to get stronger or leaner. Most said stronger, some said I could do both but it would be tougher. Well, I ate a lot and got a tad bit stronger. Now, this month, I was 90% about weight loss (thru food choices only). Sometimes I need to see both sides before picking the middle. It's like if your always missing left with your dart, you want to miss right one time to say "oh ok, that's what I need to do to get it over a bit"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:21 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Speaking of other things I'll need to do, Did my first BB Complex last night. It was a in between day where I had played tennis, so figured I'd take the opportunity to try something new in the gym.

High Pull
Front Squat
Press (push press later sets)
Good Morning
Delt Row
Curls

5 reps, 5 sets, 67 lbs. 1 min rest
Yeah, it was tough, even for just that amount
I will put these in somewhere. More reps before I add weight.