ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

My journal is out here: htt p:// exrx. net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8423 [<<--Remove periods]

I wasn't aware that I need to set up a Log just for comments - but if it makes any difference y'all are more than welcome to post in my log directly: I welcome all participation :)

I posted an introduction in my log but I'll provide more details here.

As for my Lifting Bio, I've been training with the goal to get strong since January 2008. I'm not a Powerlifter - I'm just a Strength Trainee. My key lifts are Deadlifts, Overhead Presses and Front Squats. The meat and potatoes of training in terms of exercise selection is a mixture of Pistol Squats, Weighted Pull-ups, Dumbbell Rows, Cable Pullthroughs, etc.

I'm from Bombay, India. I'm 23 years old, and I was in Texas for my undergrad (Trinity University) where I got hooked up with Eric's crew at Ground Up Strength.

Thanks in advance for the welcome :)

- Ashiem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Technically people aren't supposed to post in your journal, or any journal other than their own. There is no MOD to prevent that in PHPbb3 though. Thanks for being gracious about that.

So here in the discussion forum is where the discussion should be. But I do understand everyone's enthusiasm for bringing another experienced lifter into the discussions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:26 am 

Yeah. A 500 lb deadlift gets attention around here. And a lot of other places, too.

When you post links, don't you mean "remove spaces" not periods?

Welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:19 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ironman wrote:
Technically people aren't supposed to post in your journal, or any journal other than their own. There is no MOD to prevent that in PHPbb3 though. Thanks for being gracious about that.

So here in the discussion forum is where the discussion should be. But I do understand everyone's enthusiasm for bringing another experienced lifter into the discussions.

Oh I understand. Well, I'm totally okay with people participating in my journal directly so feel free to do that if you would like to :-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:21 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
Yeah. A 500 lb deadlift gets attention around here. And a lot of other places, too.

When you post links, don't you mean "remove spaces" not periods?

Welcome!

My apologies. I do mean remove spaces. I dun goofed that one! :laughing1:

Thanks for the welcome :salute:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:21 am 

Wolf, welcome to the forum. Having a separate thread for journal comments help keep your journal clean so you can check your trends easier. I'm sure that your experiences in Texas have given you insight on situations that others on this site may face and your input is most welcome. I just went over to the web site at http://www.gustrength.com
There are some interesting blog posts there that I hadn't seen before.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

stuward wrote:
Wolf, welcome to the forum. Having a separate thread for journal comments help keep your journal clean so you can check your trends easier. I'm sure that your experiences in Texas have given you insight on situations that others on this site may face and your input is most welcome. I just went over to the web site at http ://ww w.gustrength .com
There are some interesting blog posts there that I hadn't seen before.

Call me Ashiem :-)

I understand why y'all like the journals to be "clean". All I'm saying is that with my journal y'all can participate freely. I keep an actual physical log with me with neat little columns and rows and various colors for various days of the week (lol) so I always have that to fall back on.

I'm here to help and grow and meet some fun people :-)

Incase anyone is interested in my background (non-lifting): I did my Undergrad at Trinity and I graduated with a BSc. in Finance. I worked for a year and a half in Corporate Finance - Valuations, Mergers and Acquisitions and Business Restructuring at Grant Thornton in Bombay, India. GT is the 5th largest accounting firm in the world. Well, after a year of working the corporate life I managed to get promoted to Consultant but I hated the job so I recently quit and I am now into distribution of LPG Commercial Gas of Shell (repackaged in India as "Aegis Gas").

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:14 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Today was back training. The journal entry has been made. I did some Weighted Pull-ups with +70 lbs and then moved on to some Suitcase Deadlifts. They're sort of new to me and they pretty much whoop my ass! I finished off with some Facepulls for high reps of 20. Killer. Check out the video and such in my log, please. I wish I could post http addresses.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:16 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Next workout is going to be tomorrow. I usually never train 3 days straight but I have to take Tuesday off (it's my mum's birthday). So I will be training Front Squats, Cable Pullthroughs and Rows tomorrow instead.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:13 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Ah, have you met Erick?
You all could swap CPA stories while you throw big weights around. Good times.

So, when I saw "Suitcase Deadlifts", I thought "now that lifts would knock out a few things this big boy could use" Then I saw you using a Barbell. Man, I'll start with Db. Do you find the wrist/balance being a limiting issue on the lift?

cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:02 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Ah, have you met Erick?
You all could swap CPA stories while you throw big weights around. Good times.

So, when I saw "Suitcase Deadlifts", I thought "now that lifts would knock out a few things this big boy could use" Then I saw you using a Barbell. Man, I'll start with Db. Do you find the wrist/balance being a limiting issue on the lift?

cheers.

I'm not a CPA though...I almost got an accounting degree because I took so many classes but I hated and sucked at accounting. LOL!!!

On the Suitcase Deadlifts I find the limiting issue to be my grip. The balancing aspect would come next. I wish we have dumbbells which were easier to hold but the heaviest dumbbell in my gym is 140 lbs but even so I find the barbell much more comfortable to hold.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey Wolf, welcome! I'm only new here too but have found a great deal of useful info from the forums.

I love your attitude and self-definition of 'strength-trainee' - good luck on your quest for DL, grip and OH press!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:51 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ausbris wrote:
Hey Wolf, welcome! I'm only new here too but have found a great deal of useful info from the forums.

I love your attitude and self-definition of 'strength-trainee' - good luck on your quest for DL, grip and OH press!

Thanks Ausbris :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:13 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Going in to do my Front Squats now. I plan on hitting somewhere in the 200-300 range. I want to spend a few more sessions before I attempt 315. It can happen now as well but I want to consolidate the hell out of my strength right now. After Front Squats I'm gonna do some Cable Pullthroughs (you guys are gonna laugh at what I do in the video - just wait) and then some Cable Rows.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:51 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8423&p=78515#p78515

Squat session. Did Front Squats with 315. I took a risk though..silly of me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next