ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:09 pm 

In 10th grade my English teacher told me that she read somewhere that highly creative people are often bad spellers. At that point I gave up all efforts to improve my spelling. I sort of hoped that by spelling badly I'd become more creative.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:13 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
In 10th grade my English teacher told me that she read somewhere that highly creative people are often bad spellers. At that point I gave up all efforts to improve my spelling. I sort of hoped that by spelling badly I'd become more creative.

That reminds me of reverse phrenology. Phrenology is of course the science of determining your innate abilities by examining the unevenness of your scalp. In reverse phrenology we can establish innate abilities, first we get a hammer...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:39 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

lol, good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:49 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Dub wrote:
Rows are getting hard also. This program is starting to get hardcore.

Yeah it gets nastier and nastier.

It gets easier after the first stall/reset.

...and in the end it is most definitely worth it.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:06 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I've been naughty sick for a week, again. I just recovered from flu a week back, and now I got it again.
It seems that huge amounts of stress, hormonal imbalances caused by variety of different sleep patterns and not enough sleep combined with lots of intensive exercising and a small lack of vitamin C is a pretty bad combination.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:52 am 

Don't you think that inhaling a virus might have something to do with it?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:01 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Don't you think that inhaling a virus might have something to do with it?

It's on the "maybe" -pile. Along with bad luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:43 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Here's my new split. It hasn't been 12 weeks from last change yet, but my school year ends and I end up with holidays lasting for 3 and a half months. Since the school isn't conditioning me anymore, I need to whip up a proper exercise program. First, I change the split to 4 days instead of the regular 3-day split. Giving each main lift it's own day. This is especially great for the lower body, since Front squat and deadlift are both very taxing. When I get my newly ordered book, I will be starting JIM WENDLER's 5/3/1. I'll use it on three of my four main lifts. I will most likely not change anything else until autum. Maybe some single exercises need refreshing eventually, but the base remains the same.
Check it out, give a comment or some critisism for it. I could use some comments.

Workout A
Weighted Countermovement Box Jumps 3x3
Front Squats 5/3/1
Glute exercise 3-5 x 8-10
Core work

Workout B

Press variation 5x10 (+-2)
Row variation (from high to low volume, depending)
Rear delt work 3 x 10 (+-2)
Core Work

Workout C
Snatch
Deadlift 5/3/1
RDL/Single-leg RDL 3-5 x 6-10
Core work

Workout D
Bench Press 5/3/1
Pull-ups (Building reps and sets)
Superset: Bench variation/Row variation 5x10 (+-2)

Later I add in some intervals and speed work, maybe steady state easy cardio once or twice a week, depending on recovery and stuff.

Edit: Slight change in the split

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:16 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Okay, summer is here. I'm on vacation in theory. Simply put, I only work at the nightclub for two-four nights a week, no school. So yeah, plenty of time and freedom on when it comes to exercise and nutrition. A quick recap of the stuff that has happened recently

School
First year is sort of over. Just one report left to do. Just last week I spent eight days coaching and teaching hockey goalies ages 8 to 17. About 35 hours of coaching in total, plenty of planning and preparing and other things around it tho. It was hard, but a great experience. The plan is to continue coaching the goalies in the local Ice hockey team (most of the teams playing in division I, II or the finnish championship division) for the next year and more, and try to get my foot between the door and also contribute on physique and strength and condition side of the team. Thus getting me forward with the goal of becoming a personal trainer.
School went great, my average right now is about 4.25 (on the scale of 1-5), but it'll most likely lower to 3-4, since all the best effort is found from these courses (motoric learning, nutrition, anatomy and physiology). Next year will be rough, there will be track and field, more ball games and game sense, water sports and swimming, winter exercising and such. The most interesting courses next year will be exercise physiology and scientific research course. Anyway, plenty of new stuff to learn and get better at, that's for sure.

Nutrition
The more I read about nutrition the more it tends to interest me. I've made a goal to get more healthy, eat clean and get leaner. No specific goals in terms of bodyweight (wishable that it stays somewhere between 75-85kg), or BF%. Still, eating healthy and feeling healthy is the main goal right now. Also an attachement to improving performance is there. I want progress, strenght and health. So the body recomposition topic is the right place to speak about the issue. Main points once again: 1) Creatine, 5g a day. 2) Only whole wheat, maybe some crap sugar on cheat day (once a week) 3) low carbs on off days, higher on workout days. 4) plenty of protein 5) fast of 12-14h per day. Simple as that.

Exercise
I just started the 531 routine with plyometrics, Olympic lifts and some assisting exercises added along the way. No comments yet on the program, it's nice to go total ape with the last set. A great test of will and strenght. I'm excited and I quess that's the most important thing. I will most likely add in some intervals and low-intensity cardio along the program, maybe some speed work also. Speed work would take 10-15minutes from the start of a workout or interval session, so it's easy to plug in. Not more than once a week tho. Always atleast one rest day in the week.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I just made some official goals for my big lifts I will achieve some time in life. Having main goals that might take years, and minor goals that can take lesser time. I thought it would be good to write some goals down, even if they would've been in my head for a long time. Anyway, here they are:

BB Front Squat
Present: 110kg
Minor Goals: 120kg, 135kg
Main Goal: 150kg (330lbs)

BB Back Squat
Present: 140kg
Minor Goals: 150kg, 175kg
Main Goal: 200kg (440lbs.)

Deadlift
Present: 150kg
Minor Goal: 175kg
Main Goal: 200kg (440lbs.)

BB Bench Press
Present: 80kg
Minor Goals: 90kg, 100kg, 110kg
Main Goal: 120kg (265lbs.)

BB Overhead Press
Present: 55kg
Minor Goals: 60kg, 70kg
Main Goal: 80kg

Overhand grip Pull-up
Present: Will test tomorrow
Minor Goals: 5
Main Goal: 10

All this with the bodyweight within the range of 75-85kg.

Those are the goals I will reach. They are possible, but need lots of effort. I believe that the Deadlift is the one that will break first. When the Main goals are met, I will visualize bigger goals and see where we try to aim next. It won't be soon tough.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:31 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

you doing 5/3/1 yet?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:39 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
you doing 5/3/1 yet?

Ending week 2 this sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:34 pm 

good good, I think you'll like it a lot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:47 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

This is my workout template: The main reasons for chagnges are my schedule, which is getting really tight, and I have to shorten my gym time. Goalie coaching, school and work take huge amounts of time and toll on my body, so I needed something simple.

Workout A:
Front Squat 531
Uni-Lateral Hip Exercise 3-5 x 6-15

Workout B:
Overhead Press 531
Pull-ups/Rear Delts

Workout C:
Deadlift 531
UL Hip exercise 3-5 x 6-15

Workout D:
Bench Press 531
Barbell Row 531

Core work whereever I can put it nicely every week. With warm-up beign somewhere around 5-10 minutes, I'm out of the gym in the time frame of 30-40 minutes. Simple but effective.

Feel free to comment. Am I missing something essential?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:00 am 

I don't think you're mission, but you know me, the fan of the simple. I like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next