ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stu Ward's Progress
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:10 am 

Today, circuit: Pull ups, wide grip, assisted with purple band under one knee, Push ups, Squats @ 135, 4 sets of 10 (made all reps except 4th set of pull ups, 7). Finisher: Waiter's Walk, 75# each hand, 1 lap each.

Note: No Name Canned Salmon for lunch. My gosh, it's salty. I checked the label, only 240 mg of sodium, then I looked at the serving size, it's 1/4 of a can. Who eat's 1/4 of a can at a time?

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:51 am 

It looks like I haven't lifted in 2 weeks but I have. I just don't write it down all the time. I've been alternating a light week with a heavy week. Last week was relatively heavy so this week was lighter with higher volume. Logically that would mean an attempt at a max TGU today. That's only logical if you understand that a plan is only a point from which to deviate from.

Matt Z posted a 100# TGU yesterday, and since that was on my list of goals for 2011, I decided to go for it. Normally, I'd start with a medium weight and go up in 5# increments until I couldn't. That's also what Matt did. Instead, I just warmed up with some sholder rotations and then some light (50#) overhead holds to warm up my shoulders. I jumped right in with the max attempt. Much to my surprise, the 100# went up cleanly on the right side. On my left it was a little different. I sat up easily enough (that was my sticking point before Xmas) but couldn't maintain stability through the transition to the lunge. I made 2 attempts on the left. I followed it up with 3 singles/side with 80# then some lunges. I chose the rear lunge as being close to the TGU style, holding a single DB on the working side. 5 x80# followed by 5 x 100#. The 100# lunges were wobbly for the left side but solid on the right. I'll have to improve those before I attempt 100# again. Keep in mind that 100# held overhead is close to my static hold limit and is twice my military press limit. Any wobble on the lunge is a deal breaker in the TGU.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:37 am 

Squats today. My intent was 5 reps of 135,155,175,195.

I did teh first 3 sets and on my way back to the bar, I found a weight lifting belt lying on the floor. I decided to try it out. The 195 set felt easy so I tried 215, did 4 reps. That may be a PR but I wasn't sure so I did a single at 235 which definately was a PR. I didn't think a belt would make that much difference but I found it really took the pressure off my lower back. I think I'll try this again. The belt was one of those small in the front, wide in the back types.

Finished with a couple laps of 50# KB waiters walks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:09 am 

Yesterday, bench 5x95,105,115,125,3x135 and rows 5x135,150,165,180,195. Followed by overloads on chest press and rows.

Today, DB Snatch 5x55,60, TGU 1x50,60,70,80,90 pers side.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:27 am 

Did my annual Battle Fitness Test yesterday, which is predominantly a 13Km weightload march. I didn't do any specific training for it. I have mild lower back pain, similar to following a deadlift day. My traps are very sore due to the weight of the pack on them. I'm carrying less fat than I used to so maybe it's less padding. The big problem is blisters on my feet. I get blisters every year but I changed boots this year and though they were working better but I was wrong. There must be a magic insole out there that will help. I just haven't found it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:09 pm 

Feet still hurt but healed enough that I can do more than walk on them. Did TGUs today. 1x 50,60,65,70,75,80. Felt good and solid. I'm going to start doing these more often and take another run at 100# and hopefully get there before I turn 55 in 3 weeks.
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I've been doing upper body, benching and chinups mostly, a little rowing and single arm push presses.

I may visit the YMCA this weekend. Apparently some of the young guys have started a lifting club and they need some leadership. maybe I can coach them in TGUs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:35 pm 

Went to the Y today. Did some light bench and squats. TGU singles, 60, 70, 80, 90. Got my son squatting today for the first time in a while. He did 100 on the TGU.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:31 am 

Today,
Squats, 5x135, 155, 6 x 175, squat to bench below parallel (touch and go).
Horizontal leg press 10 x 200, 300, 7 x 400.

In the office, pistol 1 x each side, then holding my backpack in front, 1 x each side. I just had to prove to myself that the backpack made it easier even though it added weight and it was easier.

I'm going to see if I can get more consistant with the 5-3-1 now that fitness testing season is over.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:03 am 

Today, TGUs, 1 x 55, 65, 75, 85, 95. Lost control of 95 on left side at the top. I stood up OK but couldn't maintain it. My ears are bothering me. Maybe my balance is off. I also ripped a callus on that rep. Anyway, I felt OK with that. I'll try it again on the weekend and if I can get 95 cleanly a couple of times, I'll go for 100. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

I'll be out of town 14-18 Nov. Does anyone know any good gyms in Rapid City, SD? I'm thinking about this place: www.theweightroom.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:19 am 

Power cleans and push presses. 5x95, 100, 105, 1x110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135. Failed on the press on the last rep.

My gym is building a weightlifting area. Apparently they're just waiting for the electrition so they can put up the curtain to separate it off from the main gym floor. I need to seriously start prioritizing the O-lifts. I feel like I'm getting slower.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:31 pm 

Sunday, 5x135 squats, bench 5x95, 3x115, 135, 2x155, rows, 5x100, 120, 140, 160 3x180, then some other stuff

Today, squat, 3x 135, 155, 175, 2x195, single leg horizontal leg press, 5x200, 22, 240, 3x260 each leg.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:22 pm 

Yesterday, bench, 3x 95, 115, 135, wide grip row, 5x90, 120, 135, 150, 165, 180. (my son stopped trying to keep up with me at 150), single arm DB Bench 2x5x50# then single arm cable presses and rows, different angles trying to focus on anterior and posterior delts with some core stability.

I missed this morning's workout but I had a few minutes at lunch so I did some TGUs. Started with 5 x 50lb KB arm bars, the 1 x 50, 65, 75, 85 TGUs. It took 3 trys to get up the 85# on the left so I called it a workout. I was aiming for 95. I'll try again on the weekend when I won't have benched the day before. I want to hit 100 next weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 am 

I haven't updated in a while but I have been going to the gym regularily. I started focusing on farmer's walks. About 3 times a week, I do trap bar walks around a figure 8 circuit about 120 ft long. I generally do 1 lap with 125, 175 and 225Lbs total. I plan on increasing the weight once a month by 10lbs. I think this is achievable.

I've been playing around with Broz's squat every day program. The idea is to build to a top single, then lower the weight a little and hit some triples, then some speed work, everyday. I'm going to prioritize the everyday part, then the singles, then the triples and speed work. Right now I only have 1 speed, slow. I followed with a few clean and presses. I'll alernate those with the farmer's walks, maybe throw in some benches, etc once in a while. I do at least a set of pull ups every day and face pulls quite often. I hit a single at 215 on the squat today and 135 on the c&p. By the end of the year, hopefully they should be up a little.

I'm starting to doubt the validity of the supercompensation model.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22 am 

Today's max: Squat 225, Farmer's Walk 225, 1 arm row 5x80

Space was restricted today so instead of my regular farmer's walk pattern I made a smaller one and went around twice. Grip felt solid until the end. Next week, I'm going to 235.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:32 pm 

Today's max: Squat 215.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next