ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Creatine FAQ
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:45 pm 

I take mine in the morning with my fish oil, glucoseamine and prescription meds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:58 pm 
n00b
n00b

stuward wrote:
Creatine is not a protein. BCAAs are proteins that aid in muscle building. What creatine does is help supply energy to muscle cells. Those extra few reps are very important in that it improves the workout you get. That means you can stress your muscles a little more and encourage more growth. It serves no purpose unless you put in the extra effort. The reason for taking it post workout is simply because you normally take high GI carbs after workout, and those carbs can do double duty in helping to deliver the creatine to the muscle. It really doesn't matter when you take the creatine since you just want to fill up the tank anyway and it will be used when needed. The water you talk about is simply because water goes with glycogen which supplies energy to the cells. If creatine increases water retention it's probably due to increased glycogen storage.

I see. Yes, I knew Creatine was not protein but I know people take both or one or the other and I wanted to try Creatine cuz I've heard such great reviews of it. I was just confused as to when to take it, so thanks for clearing that up and w/such a quick reply!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:00 pm 
n00b
n00b

Jungledoc wrote:
I take mine in the morning with my fish oil, glucoseamine and prescription meds.

Did you mean glucosamine? Something tells me you did.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:38 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Rayca wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

What gave it away?

fwiw, he might have meant the brand name
http://www.lancula.com/products/Glucose ... ps-90.html

maybe that's what you were getting at.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:54 pm 

Rayca wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

Well, ah, yeah. What else could I have meant? Are you going to quibble over one lousy e? Brilliant creative people are all bad spellers.

Let me revise my statement: I take my creatine in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:14 am 
n00b
n00b

I quibbled because you're a moron.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:35 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

easy now tough guy, we're all friends here. Keep it light

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:11 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Rayca wrote:

wow.

You eall heave some history you'd like to sheare?

Cuz, it would be interesting to heear.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:01 pm 

No history. Our first meeting, afaik.

If he thinks I'm a moron because I added an extra "e" to a word, what would he say if he saw the stuff the spell check catches?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rayca wrote:

Isn't that something, coming from someone who decided to post in not only on an older thread, but a sticky. Of course it had to be a completely inane post, as these things always are. So I would be more inclined to question your intelligence. You might say that such a thing seems to be rather moronic; especially considering you were apparently confused about the difference between creatine and BCAA. Besides that, you have also come off as a pedantic, anal-retentive, little twerp; probably out of a feeling of insecurity regarding your obvious intellectual inadequacies. So I would suggest you either calm your ass down, or GTFO. And yes, it will be one of those things.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

I tend to be very skeptical of most supplements but the evidence for creatine seems to be pretty good (particularly for use by vegetarians http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14600563 ) so i'm giving it a shot. 2.5g 1/d. I was wary of the loading phase and didn't bother with it, so i'm pleased that the FAQ here validates my caution. One thing i've found is that the creatine doesn't seem to mix as well when i stir it into a cold drink, so i've been stirring it into a hot cup of coffee instead. I'm not really worried about the caffeine interfering with the creatine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:21 pm 

The quickest way is to just suspend it in water. Stir or swirl, drink most of it, add some more water and drink right away. I usually have to repeat 2 or 3 times to get all of the powder from the bottom of the cup.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:19 am 
Novice
Novice

I think i'll take your advice (possibly using warm water from the tap) because upon closer examination it tastes slightly bitter to me and i like to ENJOY my coffee. Easier to choke down a glass of water and chase it with an apple.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:44 am 

Products may vary, but what I've used (from GNC) is virtually tasteless.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 am 
Rookie
Rookie

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Does creatines effectiveness diminish over time?
Not a chance, this is somewhat intertwined with the argument that creatine is similar to steroids. As I said before it isn't similar to steroids in any way. Creatines effect on the body never changes, your body doesn't adapt to creatine the same way as your body does with certain steroids. You would be dead, life in animals, mammals,etc would be nonexistent without creatine, why adapt to something your body requires to keep functioning.

Do I need to load creatine?
NO! Taking 20 grams per day is not only incredibly wasteful but adds unnecessary stress to your kidneys. Go with your serving (normally 5g) of creatine per day and you are set to go. The one downside is it will take longer for your muscles to become fully loaded with creatine but since you will stay on creatine for months at a time you will hit 100% saturation no matter which route you choose. I put a basic chart at the bottom of this post to show my thought process on why it isn't needed.

Do I need to cycle creatine?
NO! Why do people feel the need to have to cycle everything they get? Do you cycle eating some days and not eating other days? Are you going to start cycling your one a day vitamins as well? Like I stated creatines effect on the body never changes so no need to cycle its use. Now if you want the bloat to come off then I'm all game for that but doing it because you think you'll get miraculous gains from going off of it for a month then you are wasting your time.

Hi,

This sticky has me a little confused. I can easily see that ironmaiden708 knows their stuff but my confusion comes about by the contradiction between the above information and that in the Creatine section of the Supplement Reviews on this website.

:?:

Quote:
There are two scientifically proven ways to supplement with creatine. The first is through a loading phase, in which 20 grams is taken for 5-7 days, followed by a maintenance phase of 3-5 grams a day for periods of 2-3 months at a time. The second form of supplementation is a simple protocol. That is to supplement with 3-10 grams of creatine per day for a period of 2-3 months with no loading phase. It is generally recommended to take at least 1-2 weeks off from creatine supplementation in order to maintain a proper response mechanism in the body.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next