ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GOMAD
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 pm 

While speaking to a cousin of mine who has a lot of diet and weight training experience mentioned the go mad diet to me.

He said if you can drink one "gallon of milk a day" hence the term go mad you would see pretty good gains. Instead I added a protein supplement about 300 to 380 grams of protein a day and seeing CRAZY gains.

What is everyones take on drinking an abundance of milk? Or a gallon a day?

Kyle Chandler

Post subject: Re: GOMAD
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:01 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Its a lot of sugar.
And a gassy way to get lots of protein and your sat fat.

Probably worse ways to get what a growing weight lifter needs.
Probably better.

I mean it's milk. Nothing too scientific. I would probalby have gone to it, if I needed to I love milk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:16 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

It is a lot of sugar. You could achieve the same thing with whey protein and heavy (whipping) cream. Coconut oil and eggs would also work if you want a non-dairy alternative.

A regular, whole-fat gallon of milk is ~2430 kcals (128g protein, 192g carbohydrate, 128g fat). 4 scoops of protein and a pint of cream will do the trick and shouldn't add much bodyfat, but really, GOMAD is for young skinny guys that don't know how to eat.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:20 pm 

stuward wrote:
It is a lot of sugar. You could achieve the same thing with whey protein and heavy (whipping) cream. Coconut oil and eggs would also work if you want a non-dairy alternative.

A regular, whole-fat gallon of milk is ~2430 kcals (128g protein, 192g carbohydrate, 128g fat). 4 scoops of protein and a pint of cream will do the trick and shouldn't add much bodyfat, but really, GOMAD is for young skinny guys that don't know how to eat.

haha funny on the skinny guys part most people think im jacked but i have a skewed way of thinking about myself ill never be happy with my build or size etc. My cousin was just thinking of additional ways for me to get my protein i literally drink a whole tub... 32 oz 2 lb tub of whey protein a week by body fortress plus i take this protein shot post workout its only 26 grams a serving but its instant. Shake pop the top and drink. Also as of yesterday i started NoXplode and it should be called moxplode...JESUS runs right through you but the pump is great the focus is awesome.

Long story short I don't need to drink milk I was just curious as to what others thought. Thanks stu. Thanks oscar.

edit.....

Just off supplemental protein intake not including diet out of the five days a week I lift I get 306 grams of protein just off supplemental per day. I'm not sure how much I actually use but I am feeling amazing.

Kyle Chandler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:46 pm 
n00b
n00b

Supposedly milk is better for new lifters than roids, quote Rippetoe on that. Something to do with IGF-1 release through all the hormones in milk or something similar.

Also, easy way to put in your system lots of calories (fats, carbs and casein protein all in one).

All in all, milk is good, a gallon is quite idiotic for almost everyone, make sure you get the right cals and macros in.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:31 pm 

Don't you think "idiotic" is a bit harsh?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:43 am 
n00b
n00b

Jungledoc wrote:

Not really...there is a certain board that discusses this same topic everyday and general opinion is that its really not necessary. GOMAD is way, way, way too many calories for a normal individual to consume each day. I mean, its ok if you want to completely maximize gains and whatnot (considering what Rippetoe says on the effects of Milk) but Zach Evetts is, I think we can all agree, not a good goal. I think a more sane approach is to reach macro goals.

GOMAD is overdoing the while nutrition thing, plus, Lyle may have a point saying that Rippetoe exaggerates the effects of his diets in terms of gains for new lifters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:43 pm 

I did GOMAD for a while, and got bigger and stronger faster than I ever had before. Did it while I was doing GVT and it was great. Had to stop though because it started to mess with my stomach.

It may not be for everyone but it definitely has its place.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:29 am 

Institutionalized wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

Not really...there is a certain board that discusses this same topic everyday and general opinion is that its really not necessary. GOMAD is way, way, way too many calories for a normal individual to consume each day. I mean, its ok if you want to completely maximize gains and whatnot (considering what Rippetoe says on the effects of Milk) but Zach Evetts is, I think we can all agree, not a good goal. I think a more sane approach is to reach macro goals.

GOMAD is overdoing the while nutrition thing, plus, Lyle may have a point saying that Rippetoe exaggerates the effects of his diets in terms of gains for new lifters.

Yeah, it is. Calling people idiots because they disagree with you is over the top.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Institutionalized wrote:
Supposedly milk is better for new lifters than roids, quote Rippetoe on that. Something to do with IGF-1 release through all the hormones in milk or something similar.

Also, easy way to put in your system lots of calories (fats, carbs and casein protein all in one).

All in all, milk is good, a gallon is quite idiotic for almost everyone, make sure you get the right cals and macros in.

I might consider an idea that injected hormones could have any effect on someone when taken orally, (in milk for example), to be completely idiotic. However I try not to put it quite like that. After all, why would you think a substance that has to be injected due to the fact that your liver would completely destroy it, have any effect in small quantities, taken orally? Most substances like that have to have the 17th carbon position modified in order avoid the degradation of the first pass through the liver. Just sayin......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:28 am 
n00b
n00b

Ironman wrote:
Institutionalized wrote:

I might consider an idea that injected hormones could have any effect on someone when taken orally, (in milk for example), to be completely idiotic. However I try not to put it quite like that. After all, why would you think a substance that has to be injected due to the fact that your liver would completely destroy it, have any effect in small quantities, taken orally? Most substances like that have to have the 17th carbon position modified in order avoid the degradation of the first pass through the liver. Just sayin......

Agreed...