ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's a relative
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:16 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

please offer your opinions on the following foods.
Perhaps listing them in order of "alright to consume, frequency", with some advice on "best time to consume, if ever"
Feel free to consider 2 individuals with spearate goals, of either Bulking (adding muscle, with reasonable expectations of fat gain), Or Fat Cutting, with hope of strength gains (like me)
Assume typical serving/portion

Partially Hydrogenate Oil, like Crisco, which say "0 Trans Fat"
Outback Bloomin Onion
Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar
Fried Corn Tortilla Chips
Donut
Pizza, cheese, mushroom, sausage
Frosted Mini Wheats with Milk
Onion Rings
Fish n Chips
Chinese Pork Fried Rice
Subway Turkey Club Sandwich, with Mayo and lots of veggies
Taco Bell, Steak Chalupa

thanks
I'll stop there.

Post subject: Re: It's a relative
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:57 pm 

Do they have a death wish?

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:14 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
please offer your opinions on the following foods.
Perhaps listing them in order of "alright to consume, frequency", with some advice on "best time to consume, if ever"
Feel free to consider 2 individuals with spearate goals, of either Bulking (adding muscle, with reasonable expectations of fat gain), Or Fat Cutting, with hope of strength gains (like me)
Assume typical serving/portion

Partially Hydrogenate Oil, like Crisco, which say "0 Trans Fat"
Outback Bloomin Onion
Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar
Fried Corn Tortilla Chips
Donut
Pizza, cheese, mushroom, sausage
Frosted Mini Wheats with Milk
Onion Rings
Fish n Chips
Chinese Pork Fried Rice
Subway Turkey Club Sandwich, with Mayo and lots of veggies
Taco Bell, Steak Chalupa

thanks
I'll stop there.

All the above may be consumed between 6.01pm and 6.02pm on a saturday evening only.

The only item here i'd eat is the Subway Turkey Club Sandwich, with Mayo and lots of veggies. But as a treat, i'm sure the oil in the mayo wont be a quality olive oil and the turkey will probably be processed in some way. Second thoughts...i'll skip.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:07 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

So, maybe Sam's Club Pecan Pie? Boy they are delcious.

Normally my cheating is 80% Cocao

But I'm generally goingto eat some real junk on occasion. I was hoping for some ranking. I figure, Donuts are a huge no no, while, say a piece of Sam Club Pie, which has no Hydrogented Oil, and no HFCS, might be ok in small doses, occasionally, and best right after workouts. And homeade desserts with "decent ingredients" would be even better option.
I would think Fried Foods from Restaurants are almost nevers, while occasional large sandwich buns are once in awhile.
I have long term goals now after a good October
Sometimes when it's all "Never" one can give up. :(

etc..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:38 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ok...i'll do it again, but this time with a view towards treats.

Partially Hydrogenate Oil, like Crisco, which say "0 Trans Fat" - never
Outback Bloomin Onion - Had to google this - never
Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar - never
Fried Corn Tortilla Chips - one bag every two weeks with one beer
Donut - never
Pizza, cheese, mushroom, sausage - every 6 months, no sausage though
Frosted Mini Wheats with Milk - never - drink the milk though
Onion Rings - never
Fish n Chips - every 6 months, eat the fish, maybe a few chips
Chinese Pork Fried Rice - never
Subway Turkey Club Sandwich, with Mayo and lots of veggies - treat - every 6 months
Taco Bell, Steak Chalupa - had to google this - I'd need to know more about the beef - never to every 6 months/year

I've never had a sweet tooth and find it very easy to avoid such stuff. Personally I see refined sugar as pouring petrol down ones neck.
Now, some of the stuff would be ok, if it was homemade and I had control over the ingredients, but i'm guessing that wont be the case.
For me, results come with consistancey. If I had cravings for junk, then something is not under control. You can have the treats as long as you have the rest of your diet locked down.

edit....saw a mistak!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:12 am 

Partially Hydrogenate Oil, like Crisco, which say "0 Trans Fat" Never if I'm cooking. I don't know when my wife uses it.
Outback Bloomin Onion--oh, oh, oh, I could never say "never" to that. Those things are just too good. Rik, if you'd even had one, you would have to allow it.
Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar--almost never. There are, however, chocolate bars that are more tempting to me. Snickers.
Fried Corn Tortilla Chips--never
Donut--almost never
Pizza, cheese, mushroom, sausage--occasional. We have home made pizza all the time.
Frosted Mini Wheats with Milk--theoretically I'd say never. Truth is that I would occasionally indulge if they were available to me. There are other cereals of similar nutritional content that would tempt me more ("Corn Pops", formerly known more honestly as "Sugar Pops"), but last trip to the US, I limited myself pretty well on this.
Onion Rings--occasional
Fish n Chips--occasional, leave some of the chips
Chinese Pork Fried Rice--occasional
Subway Turkey Club Sandwich, with Mayo and lots of veggies--occasional, but probably with beef
Taco Bell, Steak Chalupa--occasional--haven't tried them, but they sound good.

Rik is a better person than I am.

I think I'd do better if I had occasional treats available than I actually do when I go back to the US, when I typically over indulge. There's little that I'd really say "never" to, but if I splurge, I feel like it shouldn't be on something that I don't love a lot.

Oh, pecan pie--a staple, if I could. Do all of our British/Scottish/Indian/Dutch/Finnish/Ozzie/Belgian (sorry if I missed anyone) friends know what pecan pie is? Or how really incredible it is? They must not, or they'd be as fat as us.

Hey, is this supposed to be a confessional, or advice? Do as I say, not as I do! :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Pfft! Of course we know what pecan pie is! I'd have to say out of that list that pizza is my weakness.

As for which foods are worse than others, I find it easier just to label all foods as good or bad. There are no shades of grey. If you are having a cheat meal, then have some of the bad foods. All other times (I allow myself 2 cheat meals a week) eat good foods. Once you start telling yourself "Well this food isn't as bad as other foods so it's not really cheating..." you're just rationalising your poor choices.

In short: have bad foods twice a week, but don't kid yourself that although what you're eating is bad, there's worse foods out there so it's ok.

That's bad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

thank you for the addtional input

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:13 am 

robertscott wrote:
Pfft! Of course we know what pecan pie is! I'd have to say out of that list that pizza is my weakness.

As for which foods are worse than others, I find it easier just to label all foods as good or bad. There are no shades of grey. If you are having a cheat meal, then have some of the bad foods. All other times (I allow myself 2 cheat meals a week) eat good foods. Once you start telling yourself "Well this food isn't as bad as other foods so it's not really cheating..." you're just rationalising your poor choices.

In short: have bad foods twice a week, but don't kid yourself that although what you're eating is bad, there's worse foods out there so it's ok.

That's bad.

Twice a week? haha I guess I am more strict than others. I had one piece of cheese cake and I wanted to slap myself hahaha

Kyle Chandler