All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Belly Fat Diet
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:08 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
stuward wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Flax is only a benefit from the fibre but if you increase your vegetable intake you don't need it.

Omega 3 was mentioned. Controlling inflammation is important but the method presented won't do it. Flax is a poor source of omega 3. Get it from fish. Minimize omega 6 which is in vegetable oils and grains.

Ground Flax Seed makes for a great texture whe added to yougurt and berries.

Anything wrong with it, presuming I get plenty of O3 elsewher?

No, it's a good source of fibre and if you like it, go for it.

Another point that I should have mentioned is cortisol. Stress increases cortisol which encourages abdominal fat. You should be doing some sort of stress reduction activities and clearing stressors from your life.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:38 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stuward wrote:
You should be doing some sort of stress reduction activities and clearing stressors from your life.

Ok, no more posting routines with 304 different exercises

I tell you what, when I first started my other, first actuarial job, that's when the weight piled on. Stress much less now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:30 am 
Novice
Novice

I can say with absolute certainty now that my alcohol intake basically ruins any sort of hope I have of losing my excess fat.
I've been dieting on the low carb/high protein style diet touted by most of you guys, doing fairly intense weights sessions and walk/runs a few times a week, and although I've put on a bit of muscle and lost a bit of fat, I just can't kick the beer belly.
I don't really drink through the week (but when I say that it's probably 10 beers through the week... but hey my brother drinks 4 beers a night and that's actually pretty normal for our circle of friends), but then the weekend rolls around and I pretty much binge it away from Friday to Sunday. I'm basically drunk all weekend. I know thats terrible, not only for my weight, but my general physical and mental wellbeing. I have several alcoholics in my family too so I have to nip it in the bud while I still can.

I'm gonna say bye to my social life (my friends are all huge drinkers too) until Christmas and see if the results change. Then at least I'll have more impetus to cut out the heavy drinking.

I've come to the realisation that the only time I actually ever lost a lot of weight on a diet was when I cut out alcohol altogether as well.

I'm gonna see how I go with that.

And before you go attacking, I've suffered fairly severely with depression and anxiety issues and often medicated with alcohol, but I've been trying to deal with that $h1t naturally too, SO LAY OFF! :cussing:

I just worked out I'd drink about 5500cal's worth of alcohol a week. Imagine how much of a difference it would make if I just cut that out? I can't believe I've never properly considered this...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 am 
Novice
Novice

Alright now I've said that let me just play devils advocate to my own suggestions so you can disprove them.

From Friday to Sunday afternoon I don't really eat much, but I don't workout either. If I eat, it'll be a fruit salad and a sandwich or something on the Friday, but then I skip dinner and put away about 2000 calories worth of Pure Blonde, which virtually has no carbs. On the Saturday I might have a can of tuna and maybe a salad the entire day, and drink about another 2000 calories of Pure Blonde.

So, if I'm keeping my carbs low here, and despite the fact I'm not working out, I'm still probably getting about my recommended serve of calories. I know they're not coming from good fats and protein, but could that really halt the progression of my weight loss that much?

Seriously, it might sound like a stupid question but please just answer without all the :angryfire: and the :laughing4: and :evil3:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:25 am 

This is the best approach for your health. Maybe you'll set an example for the rest of your family. Alcoholism ran in my family too and it does mean just cutting it out altogether. Just cutting the alcohol will put you in a calorie deficit and the weight should start dropping off. If you get hungry, attempt to eat as nutritiously as you can without worrying too much about what it is, but no junk food or sugar. Vegetables and meat/fish/eggs should be your go-to foods. You will be hungry. Once a week, eat until you're satisfied, whatever it takes. Try to time that with thanksgiving dinner.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:25 pm 

Ball--I think that the only people who would dis you for what you are trying to do are the ones who are defensive of their own drinking. I think you will find a lot of benefits from stopping, or at least cutting way down on the alcohol. Give it a try and see what happens. A warning, though--many of your friends won't be comfortable with what you're doing. I think it will help your weight-loss efforts a lot. The calorie deficit may not be quite as much as you think, since you may eat some more food if you stay sober all weekend. Just make it good food! Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:22 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I find steppnig down to a less destructive vice helps.
I went to Online Poker
Now, I'm pretty much vice free, at least, not addicted

also, get rid of the stressor as noted earlier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:53 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I went to Online Poker...

That's less destructive. :scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stuward wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I went to Online Poker...

That's less destructive. :scratch:

Yes
for me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You could cut the calories significantly by switching to scotch. Or maybe another Whiskey.... I say scotch because that's what I like....Canadian is good too........not the cheap store brands though obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:34 am 

Ironman wrote:
You could cut the calories significantly by switching to scotch. Or maybe another Whiskey.... I say scotch because that's what I like....Canadian is good too........not the cheap store brands though obviously.
That would work only if you drink in moderation. The insulin response changes but the alcohol still has a lot of empty calories and it's still metabolized in the liver.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:47 am 

life wouldn't be worth living without the occasional destructive indulgence!

As for whisky: Talisker, Laphroig and Baillie Nicol Jarvie are my favourites. If you're a fan of whisky and you've not tried those, I'd strongly recommend them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:45 am 
former lurker

stuward wrote:

No, it's a good source of fibre and if you like it, go for it.

Another point that I should have mentioned is cortisol. Stress increases cortisol which encourages abdominal fat. You should be doing some sort of stress reduction activities and clearing stressors from your life.

Yes, stree actually slow down metabolism and thus increases cortisol. As a result abdominal fat increases.