ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BD's discussionaire
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:52 pm 
Novice
Novice

History: Back on track from another injurious hiatus. I've tried different workout regimes over time, and every time I end up with some annoying injury requiring me to rest...so coming back in low and slow. I saw a few relatively good options to come back to, but likened starting with a one set routine, twice a week. I want to try and keep my workout to ~1 hour in length, so there will be some tweaking here and there as I get that in order; I figure that if I can make a nice circuit routine, I can work a lot of one-set compounds and isolations in an hour, capitalizing on that minimal rest.

Goals: Gain mass with no injuries.

Body: 6', 135lb, 24 y/o

Feel free to critique, comment, or just say hello! =)

Post subject: Re: BD's discussionaire
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:53 pm 

OK.

Hello.

BTW, are you really either blind or a dog?

If you are a dog, your mom is already on the board.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:25 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hello Doc!

Surprisingly, I am neither blind nor canine. However!, my friendly companion is both!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:35 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

13lind Dog wrote:
, I can work a lot of one-set compounds and isolations in an hour, capitalizing on that minimal rest.
Goals: Gain mass with no injuries.
Body: 6', 135lb, 24 y/o
Feel free to critique, comment, or just say hello! =)

perhaps since you are not blind, you can give another reason why you seem to be unable to get food down?

and hi.

and are you doing an Upper/Lower split ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:19 am 
Novice
Novice

Haha good question! I'm not sure, I guess I just naturally under eat. I'm pretty much just going to have to force myself to intake the calories that I need to grow...I've been 135lbs for years and years now =\.

I thought about doing an upper/lower split or push/pull even, but from what I've read, it seems there are better alternatives for beginners. As for Thursdays results, that was just from what I accomplished in an hour, with 3-5 min rest between each exercise. Tomorrow, I plan on doing what I did Thursday, but do lower work between each set as well, instead of sitting around for 3-5 minutes wasting time.

...And it probably would benefit me more if I did compound exercises at the beginning, and then if I had time left, do isolations. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:50 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I would do just compounds right now. Start each workout with squats or deadlifts. Do a pressing and a pulling exercise each workout, do a few minutes of pre-hab, depending on your weaknesses, it's probably rotator cuff, core stabvility or hip mobility, or all of them. Then call it a day.

You will not gain weight on isolation work, you need the compounds.

What type of injuries do you get?

What's your diet like?

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 am 

I used to be about 130lbs and 5 foot 11 so I feel your pain.

My advice: chocolate milk and pizza, as many times a day as you can afford. It'll take a little time but there's no reason why you can't get big, just persevere.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:16 am 

robertscott wrote:
I used to be about 130lbs and 5 foot 11 so I feel your pain.

My advice: chocolate milk and pizza, as many times a day as you can afford. It'll take a little time but there's no reason why you can't get big, just persevere.

Good luck!

I was kind of hoping that we would hear what he's actually eating before someone gave him this kind of advise. It's actually possible that he's eating this way now but a reaction to his diet, like celiac disease, is preventing him from absorbing the nutrients as he should, which can lead to malnourishment.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:40 am 

you're such a killjoy Stu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:51 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

robertscott wrote:
you're such a killjoy Stu

qft

Maybe OP has a massive brain tumor?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:08 pm 

99 times out of 100, you guys would be right. However, at 6' 135 lbs he's pretty lightweight. If he was 16, I wouldn't be concerned. I was 6'2" 145 lbs at 16 and even in my 20s I was only 165, so I'm not unsympathetic, but it's worth investigating. Lifting heavy S#!t and eating like a pig will probably do it but I'd rather he pigged out on roast beef and potatoes than pizza. Just saying.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:54 pm 

I would probably weigh the same as the OP now if I'd never picked up a barbell. It's a genetics thing for me.

You're right though, being that underweight can be caused by something sinister, so it's worth checking out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

I would do just compounds right now. Start each workout with squats or deadlifts. Do a pressing and a pulling exercise each workout, do a few minutes of pre-hab, depending on your weaknesses, it's probably rotator cuff, core stabvility or hip mobility, or all of them. Then call it a day.
I took some of your advice, but when I finished up my compounds, I still had a ton of time left, so I continued on lifting for 50 minutes total. With today's log, am I doing too much? Spending 20 minutes doing one-sets with compound exercises barely seems like a workout. Also, I came across this one site looking up prehab and it looks legit, I"ll check it out more later tonight.

What type of injuries do you get?
Sharp knee pain...it started when I was pushing too hard with one-legged squat assists. And elbow and shoulder pain from doing too many pull-ups/chin-ups it seemed. And shin splints with running. I do still want to run/swim here and there even while trying to gain mass, for the benefits they offer...I'll just have to eat more I suppose.

What's your diet like?
Horrendous. Assorted fruit, wraps, smoothies, pasta, pizza, chicken, yogurt, peanut butter and honey sandwiches...is my staple diet =\. The way I've been eating, I can see how I stay the same weight, but when I was trying to bulk in the past, I was ingesting a crap ton of milk and meat, but I really didn't gain much it seemed. Perhaps I was lacking somewhere else. I'll try and eat like a horse again (with less emphasis on milk) and see what happens. I'm going to try and employ all my food knowledge on bulking, and post how I eat this week...feel free to critique it!

Maybe OP has a massive brain tumor?
!!! Let's hope not! lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:55 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

13lind Dog wrote:
With today's log, am I doing too much?

Oh no no. 24 differerent movements is perfect for skinny guy who wants to bulk.

1. Take this seriously or don't I dont care, really in the scheme of things.
2. Simplify program - and do it consistantly
3. Log your food intake
4. Rest

You are way way over fancifying your program.
And coming from me, that is saying something.

Are you progreassively adding weight?
Do you have a "program" or do you wing it?
Do you have planned weight or rep increases?

As long as you are using as much weighty on your kneck as you do your over head presses, we might have a problem. The extra time you have will start to disappear when you are doing 5 sets of 5 reps, for exmple, with 150 lbs benching. But it will be a long time getting there if you keep trying to get in your one arm side bend lateral raise coffin corner kick backs.

If I did not know better, I'd say you were trolling. Are you?

Also, given your program and perpencity for the injuries you list, I wonder if you don't have a bit of errr... resistance to real work - itis?

don't take this the wrong way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

Oh no no. 24 differerent movements is perfect for skinny guy who wants to bulk.
Is that sarcasm? =\

1. Take this seriously or don't I dont care, really in the scheme of things.

I'm not here to waste my time, and the whole point of this thread is for more experienced people to set me right. Criticism is one of the fastest ways to progress oneself.

Are you progreassively adding weight?
Do you have a "program" or do you wing it?
Do you have planned weight or rep increases?

I'm trying to stick to 6-12 reps, pushing 1-2 extra reps each workout, and adding more weight once I hit 12 reps.

But it will be a long time getting there if you keep trying to get in your one arm side bend lateral raise coffin corner kick backs.
I'm not going to lie, that made me laugh, hard lol. But levity aside, I'm guessing those exercises are a waste of time?

If I did not know better, I'd say you were trolling. Are you?
Wtf? No.

Also, given your program and perpencity for the injuries you list, I wonder if you don't have a bit of errr... resistance to real work - itis?
I don't get it.