ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:40 am 

I don't comment much, because I'm not often able to see the videos. I am one of 30 people using an internet connection that is between 1/10 and 1/4 of the bandwidth that most single-family homes in the US have. Our network administrator has asked us not to stream video at aloo except late at night, and even then it's painfully slow. I watched a couple of yours at first, concluded that you were really strong. I don't hesitate to comment (notice my post count?) once in a while. Please don't feel unwelcome here. You are a bit different than many of us. And yes, you're sure welcome to comment on our journals, too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:03 am 

So after I wrote that, I went and watched the last video. Sorry about the blackout. Were you completely unconscious for a second? It's possible to be out without falling down.

Anyway, the thing that was most interesting to me in the vid was just seeing how you do twists. You use a lot less spinal rotation than you sometimes see. That's one of my concerns is doing too much twisting. Anyway, you don't look like you're moving at the lumbar level at all, just modest thoracic.

So, I'm most likely just to comment on the workout as listed in the log, not on the videos.

And by the way, the place to get in on the chit-chat is the Random Crap thread in ExRx Lounge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:27 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
I don't comment much, because I'm not often able to see the videos. I am one of 30 people using an internet connection that is between 1/10 and 1/4 of the bandwidth that most single-family homes in the US have. Our network administrator has asked us not to stream video at aloo except late at night, and even then it's painfully slow.

Oh man...I can totally understand.

Jungledoc wrote:
I watched a couple of yours at first, concluded that you were really strong. I don't hesitate to comment (notice my post count?) once in a while. Please don't feel unwelcome here. You are a bit different than many of us. And yes, you're sure welcome to comment on our journals, too.

Oh I don't feel unwelcome at all. I just felt like the activity level was low except in the Random Crap thread but then again..y'all have quite the clique :) Thats fine...time will tell.

Jungledoc wrote:
So after I wrote that, I went and watched the last video. Sorry about the blackout. Were you completely unconscious for a second? It's possible to be out without falling down.

I blacked out totally. Like totally. I was unconscious for a second without falling down because when I came to I had to close my eyes, steady myself and then slowly open them... It was pretty crazy. In 7 years of me training with 4 of them being to get strong, this has never happened.

Jungledoc wrote:
Anyway, the thing that was most interesting to me in the vid was just seeing how you do twists. You use a lot less spinal rotation than you sometimes see. That's one of my concerns is doing too much twisting. Anyway, you don't look like you're moving at the lumbar level at all, just modest thoracic.

Gotcha :)

Jungledoc wrote:
So, I'm most likely just to comment on the workout as listed in the log, not on the videos.

That is totally fine. I understand your problem and it makes total sense. But, like I said earlier...I was just talking about general banter and such...not training related (specifically, I mean). I'll do what you wrote out:

Jungledoc wrote:
And by the way, the place to get in on the chit-chat is the Random Crap thread in ExRx Lounge.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:46 am 

_Wolf_ wrote:
...I'm not a bodybuilder like most of you guys - another reason why I probably attract such little traffic (I hate using that word because it sounds like I'm a product) and at the same time I'm not a powerlifter or a strongman. I'm just a strength trainee. Simple :)

There are actually very few body builders here. Most are more interested in strength or just general fitness.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:37 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

POSTERIOR CHAIN & PRESS Training - Mesocycle 39 Week 3

Suitcase Deadlifts, Unilateral Overhead Press, Weighted Pull-ups, Pistol Squats and Breathing Exercise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSEu2bIdh4w

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:43 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

stuward wrote:
_Wolf_ wrote:
There are actually very few body builders here. Most are more interested in strength or just general fitness.

From the Q&A forum (General) I have the impression even if people are interested in getting strong, aesthetics are still a big deal - atleast in the sense that I have noticed almost everyone (and I am being politically correct here) still stuck in the muscle group mindset - which is not how strength training or even general fitness works.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:44 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Wolf. I think it's probably closer to 50-50. If you've noticed, this forum has probably more older lifters than most others, and most of us older guys/gals like me, Doc, Stu, Diana and others couldn't care less about bodyparts, but rather motions, utilizing muscles working together, in particular , with me, anyway, the posterior chain and shoulder girdle elevation. Nothing at all wrong with either preference, but me, being the geezer I am, I just want to be able to function in the latter years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 am 

Well, Tim. Speak for yourself! I still have a few body parts that I care about! :grin:

That's probably about right in terms of emphasis. Some say they care mostly about strength, but esthetics is not unimportant to them. There aren't too many who would consider themselves body builders, primarily.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:09 am 

Sorry you're sick! If you have the energy to type, what kind of a periodization plan do you use?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:23 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
Sorry you're sick! If you have the energy to type, what kind of a periodization plan do you use?

It depends on the lift in question. Which lift are you talking about?

You should also read these two posts (and check out the comments section as well because there is a lot of discussion about this):

Single Double Triple Progression: http://www.gustrength.com/training:sing ... rogression

Single Double Triple Progression FAQ: http://www.gustrength.com/anuj-training ... rogression

Read both.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:33 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ROW MEDLEY Training - Mesocycle 39 Week 4

Lots of rows..

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fku8f09M-Q

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:03 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

_Wolf_ wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

It depends on the lift in question. Which lift are you talking about?

You should also read these two posts (and check out the comments section as well because there is a lot of discussion about this):

Single Double Triple Progression: http://www.gustrength.com/training:sing ... rogression

Single Double Triple Progression FAQ: http://www.gustrength.com/anuj-training ... rogression

Read both.

I will just expand a little on this...so things make a little more sense perhaps.

Basically, there are many many ways to progress: you can add sets, reps, weight, reduce the total time (density), quality of reps, etc. The list really goes on and on.

But, for the sake of simplicity, we deal with sets, reps and weight.

This means that let us assume I do 3 sets of 5 reps with 100 lbs on Front Squats. Next session, I can either increase the number of sets, the number of reps, both, the weight itself or some combination of this.

So let us assume that I increase only one of these 3 parameters (any one single one - sets or reps or weight) that is Single Progression. If I increase any two (sets and reps, sets and weight or reps and weight) then it is Double Progression. And if I increase all 3 then I've reached Single Progression.

How this is applied on a practical level is explained in both the inks and the comments section for both articles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:46 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

The concept seems standard, for somepne not doing a prescribed routine, but one left to "flow"
I like to think I take this SDT approach, but I do not make a conscience effort to do it properly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
The concept seems standard, for somepne not doing a prescribed routine, but one left to "flow"
I like to think I take this SDT approach, but I do not make a conscience effort to do it properly.

Yes, but you like to have concrete rules.

We don't like rules which are set in stone.

A LOT of our training is learning to think on our feet.

So for example, if you put up my workouts for a whole mesocycle you will notice how the weekly volume (note: volume, not workload) is very much waved in some fashion. For example, in this next Mesocycle 40, Deadlift Training will have me going:
Week 1 = High
Week 2 = Medium
Week 3 = Very High
Week 4 = Low

and at the same time, my Squat days will be:
Week 1 = Medium
Week 2 = High
Week 3 = Very High
Week 4 = Low

The whole point is that even those these parameters exist, they are basic guidelines - and that is all.

If for example, I feel something is off or if some protocol needs to be revised, then boom..its done and that is thinking on my feet.

SDT is at its basic level: doing more than what you did last time.

You can't "plan" SDT. Each workout has to be taken as it is and some sort of rough gameplan must exist but like everything else, it isn't set in stone.

For example, when I ran SDT on Deadlifts a few months ago, it went down like this:

Week 1 = 477.5 x 3 x 2 <<-- Base Volume

Week 2 = 477.5 x 3 x 2, 485 x 1 <<-- Single Progression = Sets

Week 3 = 477.5 x 3 x 2, 485 x 2, 495 x 1 <<-- Triple Progression = Reps + Weight + Sets

Week 4 = 477.5 x 3 x 2, 485 x 2, 495 x 1, 515 x 1 <<-- Single Progression = Sets

Then it was time to reset...

SDT isn't the solution for everything. It is a tool like anything else. Not all of your lifts can have SDT programmed into them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:08 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

alright
Yeah, I can learn vthe idea of how to properly set up a good SDT framework, but the actual feel part to know what to do in a certain day would take some change of mentality.
Do you think it would still be worth while for me to have a framework of SDT, and maybe gain some "on the job feel training" to compliment it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next