ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:21 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Do thermogenic fat burners actually work? I know they have caffeine in them, but do they really do anything that say...alot of coffee can't?

Also, I'm pretty much stressed all day, so I've been looking into cortisol blockers. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on the subject?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:46 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Learn some meditation and relaxation techniques for stress.

I have no faith in hermogenics personally, and though I've only seen brief, outrageous commercials on tv for cortisol blockers.

Seen enough of those though, to set my crap-detector off.

Running might be good for you. Burns fat AND reduces stress!

dian in spokane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:25 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Fatburners. There are several types, and some mfrs combine them. The lipotropics supposedly"fee" up the fat so that it can eaily be used as fuel during a workout. The thermogenics upposedly raise the body's core temperature a bit so that it supposedly burns a few more calories than normal. Be careful with these though. This would be the group with caffeine and ephedra. They are CNS stimulants, and should be used with caution. They also have a tendency to dull the apetite. I think they MAY give you a slight edge, but neither is a magic bullet, and be leary of all these claims you see in commercials.
PS, Phosphatidyl Serine (sp?) blunts cortisol reaction. It might be useful for recuperation purposes, as cortisol is catabolic, but I think all these claims of cortisol melts belly fat is pure bunk. Just my opinion though.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:50 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

<<The thermogenics upposedly raise the body's core temperature a bit so that it supposedly burns a few more calories than normal.<<

This whole notion makes me smile. MY body's temperature seems to run on HIGH all the time. Me and about another million or so women who refuse to take hormones to reduce the symptoms of menopause.

If ONLY sweat caused weight loss, we'd be a nation of skinny old ladies instead of fat old ladies.

Sometimes I feel like I'm melting from the inside out, but it sure doesn't show up on the scale. .. except for sweaty footprints sometimes :)

dian