ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:19 pm 
former lurker

First I just want to say that I have asked my doctor and he says I need to do this anyway. So I'm not fat, just a bit chubby. I wanted to ask, how long does it take for noticeable results? That's just water, no juice, no tea, nothing else just cold water :) thank you

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:26 pm 
n00b
n00b

First off, crash dieting is not really the best (unless youre doing some sort of IF?), second, within a week you should be able to see difference already.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:57 pm 

You shouldn't be doing this for anywhere near a week. More than 24 hours is not a good idea although you do see people do it for 2-3 days. By then you're burning muscle for nutrition and most people get a good feeling from that, sort of like being a vegan. There are no health benefits though. Why is your doctor recommending a water fast?

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:12 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

probably as noticeable as weightloss after other diets, maybe?

For me, 24 hour water fasts 2x/week for 8 weeks, lost 15 lbs
I lost more, without fasting in 30 days, starting from similar weights

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A one day fast is fine to throw in occasionally. Of course if you are having a capsule camera test in the upper bowel, you are required to fast for most of a day. So maybe you want to use that a springboard for starting a diet? Or are you fasting for a different reason? Regardless you should probably only do a full day occasionally. Shorter fasting periods can be used more often. You also need some days where you eat a little more too. The trick is usually to start with a smaller reduction in carbs and calories, and then slowly reduce. So in the end, you end up around 10 carbs a day, 1200 to 1500 calories, throwing in as much exercise as you can. That's kind of an extreme method to get lean. So it only works for a few weeks at a time. Your stomach capacity should get smaller. So afterwards don't push it. The feeling of being full with less food is a positive things you should try to hold on to. The cleaner eating is something to maintain as well. You can be much less restrictive when the diet phase is over, but still stay away from most of the more processed foods.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 am 

I did it for 24 hours plus sleeping and it is very good thing. I lost 1kg, but after 1 day it returned, but that's not the point of fasting.
Everyone only talks about part that is related with food, but there is very important psychological part! After that day, I could do everything what I wanted with food. I could resist for sweets and I managed to not eat anything in school for many hours (and that's good because I could only buy garbage for gaining weight) and that effect lasted for a couple of months. That's when I stopped eating chocolate and replaced it with honey...