Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:57 pm 

I'm still reading this but in the meantime:

http://entropyproduction.blogspot.com/2 ... in-95.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:38 pm 

If you only read one book this year, this should be it. For those that don't want to read it, here's a 29 page synopsis.

http://higher-thought.net/2010/01/good- ... oint-form/

Note:
Quote:
***Note: I checked with Knopf about copyright and they informed me that I can keep the notes up for a limited time until they withdraw the permission. Please download your own copy of the PDF while it’s still available.***

Quote:
Taubes’s “inescapable” conclusions (p.454):
Dietary fat, whether saturated or not, is not a cause of obesity, heart disease or any other chronic disease of civilization.
The problem is the carbohydrates in the diet, their effect on insulin secretion, and thus the hormonal regulation of homeostasis—the entire harmonic ensemble of the human body. The more easily digestible and refined the carbohydrates, the greater the effect on your health, weight and well-being.
Sugars—sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup specifically—are particularly harmful, probably because the combination of fructose and glucose simultaneously elevates insulin levels while overloading the liver with carbohydrates.
Through their direct effect on insulin and blood sugar, refined carbohydrates, starches and sugars are the dietary cause of coronary heart disease and diabetes. They are most likely dietary causes of cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and the other chronic diseases of civilization.
Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating, and not sedentary behavior.
Consuming excess calories does not cause us to grow fatter, any more than it causes a child to grow taller. Expending more energy than we consume does not lead to long-term weight loss; it leads to hunger.
Fattening and obesity are caused by an imbalance—a disequilibrium—in the hormonal regulation of adipose tissue and fat metabolism. Fat synthesis and storage exceed the mobilization of fat from the adipose tissue and its subsequent oxidation. We become leaner when the hormonal regulation of fat tissue reverses this balance.
Insulin is the primary regulator of fat storage. When insulin levels are elevated—either chronically or after a meal—we accumulate fat in our fat tissue. When insulin levels fall, we release fat from our fat tissue and use it for fuel.
By stimulating insulin secretion, carbohydrates make us fat and ultimately cause obesity. The fewer carbohydrates we consume, the leaner we will be.
By driving fat accumulation, carbohydrates also increase hunger and decrease the amount of energy we expend in metabolism and physical activity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Thanks for posting this. I've actually just ordered it after reading through some of the PDF. Been 'meaning' to get it for ages but this made me want it with a little more urgency :smile:

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:04 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I read through all of the notes.
Very interesting, thanks for posting.
I'll have to order the book and start spreading it around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for posting. The notes are very well done. I highly recommend Good Calorie Bad Calorie too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:10 am 
former lurker

It is really essential to distinguish between good and bad calories to lose weight in a healthy way.
These are the kinds of books I was looking for. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:31 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Really essential to distinguish between good and bad calories to lose weight in a healthy way, it is.
Looking for I these are the kinds of books was. Thanks. Yes, hmmm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:09 am 

shaun85 wrote:
It is really essential to distinguish between good and bad calories to lose weight in a healthy way.
These are the kinds of books I was looking for. Thanks

Shaun, Read the book, you won't be disappointed. He has a new book out that is easier to read with less science in it. Taubes didn't get it completely right. Carbs aren't the whole problem but they are an important piece.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley