ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
So, yeah, I read those links and a bunch more on the GUS site. Very thought-provoking. They answered a log of my questions, but generated a lot more. Could you point me to some articles on GUS's approach to programming? Then later I'll ask more specifically.

Ummm...every trainee's programming is very different because everybody's goals and such are not the same. But there are some programming related articles I can link you to:

Teaching versus Learning the Lifts

The Honeymoon Period

Strength Training with Single Double Triple Progression

Single Double Triple Progression FAQ

The Singles Scene

Strength Consolidation: An Example

Strength Consolidation for Deadlifts

Cluster Sets <<-- This IS for advanced folk (unlike the others above)

Quote:
Is GUS just the web site? Or is it also physical gym?

GUS is just a website.

Quote:
Is Eric the site owner of the GUS site? Is he the primary brains behind it (I see articles by others, including you and including some nationally-known writers)? Other than ads, I don't see anything on the site that would be income-generating for him, so it appears that the site exists primarily to help people, not to make money. I'm always suspicious at first, but I don't see any books or DVDs for sale, fee-for-service distance coaching, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with any of those things. In that way, GUS is similar to ExRx. Anyway, so far it looks like a great site, and Eric's articles are very good.

Eric Troy is the owner of GUS and the brains behind it all. Joe and I have blogs on there and we write for GUS as well - but this is Eric's operation.

You have it right: there is no money on the site (apart from the ads). The sites does exist to help people and I understand you being suspicious but there is nothing for sale :-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 am 

Thanks, Ashiem--these will keep my up tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:05 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
Thanks, Ashiem--these will keep my up tonight.

I hope they help. But do remember that not everything is approached in the same way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:18 am 

Yeah, I'm getting that. That's basically what I'm reading for now. I understand (or at least think I do) SDT, "Singles Scene", consolidation. Trying to decide how to apply them to me, and to which lifts. I'm also looking at how best to maintain the lifts that I'm not emphasizing. Also what assistance lifts to do in my coming cycle, and how best to manage them. I'm seeing how very much I have to learn. I'm going to try to write a template in the next couple of days, and post it over on GUS for comments.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:21 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
Yeah, I'm getting that. That's basically what I'm reading for now. I understand (or at least think I do) SDT, "Singles Scene", consolidation. Trying to decide how to apply them to me, and to which lifts. I'm also looking at how best to maintain the lifts that I'm not emphasizing. Also what assistance lifts to do in my coming cycle, and how best to manage them. I'm seeing how very much I have to learn. I'm going to try to write a template in the next couple of days, and post it over on GUS for comments.

No problem.

I don't think Singles Scene will apply to you right off the bat, SDT yes...consolidation is after Singles normally (but there are no rules here).

You need not read the programming articles in depth because the Training to Fail Series, Flow Series, etc are a lot more relevant.

Once you figure out what your goals are the template can be made to best suit them.

The best thing to do while doing all this is to first list your goals. If your goals are aesthetic based then we might not be of much help because we're not bodybuilders. BUT, lets say you want to get a strong, then figure out your key lifts. These are your main main lifts - not the ones you like. Try to be specific and keep the number of favorite lifts small. As in, you can have 4 lifts but then be prepared for them to increase slowly. The smaller the number of key lifts the easier it will be for you to dedicate your training to those. For example, If you decide that you want to improve largely on Squats, then everything will be tailored accordingly.

Ofcourse, templates also kind of evolve on their own...so what will most likely happen is that you will begin The Honeymoon Period for a few weeks (maybe even a month), figure out what you like and then have a more formal plan set in motion.

The whole assumption of a template is that there is no chaos in your training..but if there is then the first step is to allow it to settle down. The Honeymoon Period allows for that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:00 am 

Well, my goals haven't changed in 6 years. My priority lifts haven't changed for about 5.

If we're talking about me, how about we continue this in my log discussion thread? See you there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:07 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
Well, my goals haven't changed in 6 years. My priority lifts haven't changed for about 5.

If we're talking about me, how about we continue this in my log discussion thread? See you there.

Ofcourse, no problem...

Just so you know, I have no problems discussing this in my log either....I've never had issues with discussing anything :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:00 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

DEADLIFT Training - Mesocycle 40 Week 1

This went down a few hours ago..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KZne61ngJE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:52 pm 

_Wolf_ wrote:
Deadlift Work Sets:
475 x 2
500 x 1
485 x 1
495 x 1
455 x 3
475 x 1
385 x 7

You're not working "singles scene" on these, right? Just happened that you did mostly singles this time?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:53 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
You're not working "singles scene" on these, right? Just happened that you did mostly singles this time?

Yup. Totally right, Doctor :-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:45 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

SQUAT Training - Mesocycle 40 Week 2

This is from today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTTCvRKrzA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:49 pm 

_Wolf_ wrote:
Step-Ups:
45 x 6
45 x 6
45 x 6
45 x 6
Good God this exercise is way too difficult.

HA! I'll bet I totter around more than you do!

I had no idea how different my leg strength was until I started doing these.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:47 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
HA! I'll bet I totter around more than you do!

I had no idea how different my leg strength was until I started doing these.

Hahahha!!!

I'm used to doing Pistol Squats with weight added to me...but Step-Ups kill me every time. It's really weird. I can Pistol Squat 100 lbs but I can only do step-ups with the bar. Sigh!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:38 am 

Well, I can't do pistols at all! Step ups aren't too bad for my right leg, but my left really struggles. And when you struggle with your weight on one foot, it's pretty ugly.

Did you have a chance to see my preliminary template over on my discussion thread?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:43 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
Well, I can't do pistols at all! Step ups aren't too bad for my right leg, but my left really struggles. And when you struggle with your weight on one foot, it's pretty ugly.

Did you have a chance to see my preliminary template over on my discussion thread?

Oh yes. I forgot to respond. I'm running out right now (gotta go for a meeting) but I will respond as soon as I get back. It looked fine to me, actually.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next