ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: supplementing magnesium
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:46 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

is it worthwhile supplementing with magnesium? There was an article about it on T-Nation today saying you should. Now, I'm not an idiot, and I realise that the T-Nation article was written to make people want to buy Biotest's magnesium products...

but marketing aside, is it worth supplementing? I've been considering picking up a ZMA supplement for a while now

cheers
Bobby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

It's my opinion that there is no need to supplement with magnesium.

I have tried a zma supplement before and felt no difference to when I was not taking it. Same with 5-Methyl-7-Methoxy-Isoflavone.

The two supplements are bogus in my opinion. If you feel like you are stalling in a lift then I suggest beginning a cycle of periodisation for that lift.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:44 am 

I was just thinking about it for general health purposes, I'm not stalling on my lifts, and if I were I doubt magnesium would help. Some people swear it helps them sleep better but I dunno.

dude, I have no idea what 5-Methyl-7-Methoxy-Isoflavone, but it sounds like some kinda dodgy prohormone.

Don't mess about with that stuff! A lot of them have all the negative, and practically none of the positives, of proper steroids. At least if you were talking proper roids you'd have some gains to show for your gyno.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:18 am 

am not sure about supplementing. something in the back of my head says 'it's available in fullcream milk'.
i do have a container of magnesium tablets i break down and mix into a homemade electrolyte (brown sugar, iodised salt, warmish water) after i've completed an excessively long run or some silly endurance activity. i only add very small amounts of Mg and rarely need diy electrolyte.

i think you answered yourself with the phrasing of the question.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:43 am 

hi - scrap my last answer. i've a container of potassium, not magnesium. sorry. oops. my fault.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:12 am 
former lurker

Hi, John here. I want to ask you people what food supplement I should go for that suits my body well. I have started working out more but I am not getting good results. Is there any need to go for supplements if one does not get good results even after working out so hard? It's been three months when I had started going to gymnasium.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:41 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Glad to have you John, we were wondering when you'd come and post here

What is your

Goals
Diet
Routine
Level of adherence

?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:28 pm 

John612 wrote:
Hi, John here. I want to ask you people what food supplement I should go for that suits my body well. I have started working out more but I am not getting good results. Is there any need to go for supplements if one does not get good results even after working out so hard? It's been three months when I had started going to gymnasium.

And how does this relate to magnesium?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:33 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Jungledoc wrote:
John612 wrote:

And how does this relate to magnesium?

He's very unlikely to be legit based on 2/2 posts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:12 pm 
n00b
n00b

I'm obsessed with magnesium. Without it, I can't sleep or poop. Magnesium single handedly cures both my insomnia and my constipation. It's a miracle supplement as for as I'm concerned. I take a scoop of the powdered version before I go to bed every night. It makes a huge difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:07 pm 

acanta wrote:
I'm obsessed with magnesium. Without it, I can't sleep or poop. Magnesium single handedly cures both my insomnia and my constipation. It's a miracle supplement as for as I'm concerned. I take a scoop of the powdered version before I go to bed every night. It makes a huge difference.

You clearly have a severe case of hypochondria. I suggest you add high-dose vitamin C, and echinasia. They will make something much better.

If you're going to take a placebo, make sure that it's a very strong placebo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:17 am 

but where do we get these placebos!?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:08 pm 

I wonder if it's the magnesium that is correcting your sleep and constipation problems, or the glass of water you drink it with.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:46 pm 

robertscott wrote:
but where do we get these placebos!?

STUDIES HAVE SHOWN (and no, I can't site them, you just have to believe me because I'm a doctor) that very large or very small tablets are stronger placebos than mid-sized ones, and that brightly-colored tablets or capsules, particularly red and yellow are stronger than white ones. So take a big red pill, and believe strongly in it's effects.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:10 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I thought I should add something about magnesium supplements.

Studies have shown that amounts of ingestion of 450mg or more in healthy adult males per day can have a laxative affect. I can't remember the figures for other people. :pottytrain5: