ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: BD's discussionaire
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

I think adding cardio would increase the calories you need, sort of defeats the purpose.
Yeah, I was wondering how exactly it would work, If A: increasing cardio would increase appetite enough to make up calories burned and then some. Or B: increasing cardio would increase appetite just enough to make up calories burned. Either way, I'll probably stay away from that idea for now...thanks for your input!

Steadily increase your calorie. You'll get used to it. Surely.
Hopefully soon I'll be able to look back at my current diet and laugh at how little food that was!

Whole milk.
Looking at how much I've drinken lately, drinking a gallon every two days seems to be a viable option...and chocolate syrup sure as heck helps.

Take shots of coconut or olive oil.
I'll definitely keep in that mind!

Do you have a Dog? If so, first thing in the morning, literally follow these steps:
Stand up out of bed
walk to bathroom, do what you have to do
put on cloths
Put leash on dog
Walk him a mile or a mile and a half
come home and do the rest of your morning routine.

How simple yet how effective! I did that this morning, save for working out because working out last night then sleeping and then working out in the morning didn't seem like a beneficial idea. However, when I woke up, I was definitely hungry but I had zero appetite/inclination to eat anything. After walking the dog for 30 min, I came home and definitely chowed down. After tonight's workout, I'll change to a morning routine and see what happens!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:54 pm 

by morning routine I meant the proverbial "$h1t, shower, shave" that your grandfather used to yell at you to do...

You can lift whatever time of day works best for you.

Doc: that is a good point about the dog, duh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:23 pm 
Novice
Novice

Oh! I thought you meant to do that, get the blood flowing, then hit the weights in the AM to spark the appetite for the day. Though, I'm sure both options are helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:32 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

nice work on keeping consistant and increasing lifts.

Where are you on plans to get a Barbell? Your compounds will outpace the isolation by a landslide if your have the weights for it.

When you get tired on the calf raise, where are your limits? Calf? Grip? Boredom?

Also 2 hours is a lot of time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

nice work on keeping consistant and increasing lifts.
Thanks man!

Where are you on plans to get a Barbell? Your compounds will outpace the isolation by a landslide if your have the weights for it.
Depositing the paycheck today and getting one definitely before Monday's workout...pretty excited!

When you get tired on the calf raise, where are your limits? Calf? Grip? Boredom?
I looked at this protocol:

*Leg Press - sets of 8-25 - 2 or 3 work sets
any other leg assistance, high rep work

And figured to max reps out on calfs at 25 as well, then increase weight and push 25 again. If I ever plateau, I figured I'd go heavier and start around 8 and then work up in reps.

Also 2 hours is a lot of time.
Yeah, 1 hour-ish seems to be the major consensus. Between every set I end up resting for 5 minutes. From what I understand, 3-5 min is ideal for maximal strength gains, to fully recover between sets.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:15 pm 

13lind Dog wrote:
...Also 2 hours is a lot of time.
Yeah, 1 hour-ish seems to be the major consensus. Between every set I end up resting for 5 minutes. From what I understand, 3-5 min is ideal for maximal strength gains, to fully recover between sets.

Remember that the goal is to stimulate, not annihilate. After about an hour, your hormones change to more of a catabolic nature and you could actually be doing more harm than good by continuing past that point. Get in a good workout within the hour, don't worry if it goes over a bit, but don't keep flogging it after you should have stopped.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

Remember that the goal is to stimulate, not annihilate. After about an hour, your hormones change to more of a catabolic nature and you could actually be doing more harm than good by continuing past that point. Get in a good workout within the hour, don't worry if it goes over a bit, but don't keep flogging it after you should have stopped.
Hmmm, good point. I'll cut my rest time down and get it to ~1 hr and see how my numbers go!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Uploaded two videos to see if anyone has any pointers/criticisms on my technique here...

Bar Squat: http://youtu.be/DELlg4tf6JU
45lb Squat: http://youtu.be/IEEfldUk4Ok

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:45 pm 

Your depth seems to be inconsistant, lower in the early stages, higher later. Try to get as low as you can, especially when you're using light weights.

Since you're not using a squat rack, you will be limited by what you can get onto your shoulders. This will not be enough to give your legs any kind of meaningful stimulus. Try this variation instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLgPJVwemtU
You may have to use block to get the bar to a level that you can reach it.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:33 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

seems hard to avoid rounding on those hack squats
just one man obrserving, opinion

I'd encourage Front Squats, Goblet, or Zercher and buying squat stands and saw horses, to do back squatting more safely
Its late now but I know there are solutions
Power cage for $200, if you have room too.

I didn't think your form was bad on your better ones, just not consistant

you could really make a huge impact on your physique if you stay with it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:48 am 
Novice
Novice

Your depth seems to be inconsistant, lower in the early stages, higher later. Try to get as low as you can, especially when you're using light weights.
Duly noted! I'll start pushing deeper with my next squat session.

Since you're not using a squat rack, you will be limited by what you can get onto your shoulders. This will not be enough to give your legs any kind of meaningful stimulus. Try this variation instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLgPJVwemtU
You may have to use block to get the bar to a level that you can reach it.

Interesting! That's a really great alternative. I do plan on getting some Squat stands for the garage asap, but in case that turns out to take a while, I'll definitely look to these!

I'd encourage buying saw horses

In addition to the squat stands, what would I be using the saw horses for?

I hope so! I start week 4, Monday, and haven't really seen any difference in my body, but still increasing my food intake as I go on...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:41 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

13lind Dog wrote:
I'd encourage buying saw horses
In addition to the squat stands, what would I be using the saw horses for?
I guess for safety to support the bar if you have to bail (get stuck on the down end) Realy, I'd just get a power rack, but some guys are good at rigging stuff. See Ken's homeade rack.
13lind Dog wrote:
I hope so! I start week 4, Monday, and haven't really seen any difference in my body, but still increasing my food intake as I go on...
Right now, you are probalbyl ifting weights that your body can handle more easily than you realize. Assumnig you keep imprving form and and iron to the bar, you will hit weights that will really stress your muscles and lead to breakdown/rebuild and more size, given you cvontinue/start to eat enough. And of course you may have hard luck genetics and alway have trouble putting on mass. but at least give it your best and some time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

I guess for safety to support the bar if you have to bail (get stuck on the down end)
Ahhh, makes sense!

Right now, you are probably lifting weights that your body can handle more easily than you realize. Assuming you keep improving form and and iron to the bar, you will hit weights that will really stress your muscles and lead to breakdown/rebuild and more size, given you continue/start to eat enough. And of course you may have hard luck genetics and always have trouble putting on mass. but at least give it your best and some time.

Yeah...I can definitely see those being true...and thanks for the encouragement!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:06 pm 

13lind Dog wrote:
I guess for safety to support the bar if you have to bail (get stuck on the down end)
Ahhh, makes sense!

Right now, you are probably lifting weights that your body can handle more easily than you realize. Assuming you keep improving form and and iron to the bar, you will hit weights that will really stress your muscles and lead to breakdown/rebuild and more size, given you continue/start to eat enough. And of course you may have hard luck genetics and always have trouble putting on mass. but at least give it your best and some time.

Yeah...I can definitely see those being true...and thanks for the encouragement!
Dog--Why don't you just use the quote feature that is built into the site? It's much easier.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc wrote:
Dog--Why don't you just use the quote feature that is built into the site? It's much easier.

Haha, I'm not sure. I guess Bolding the quote just looked a bit more simplistic and slim than the bulky forum box. Either works though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next