ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:49 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Proper Knob wrote:
Ken, have you tried any impingement tests on your shoulder to see if that is what's happening?

Not yet. Now that I know my bench has to be suspended, I'm just starting to learn what this stuff is. never had to worry about it before. Step 1 is going to be "Just do deads and squats and hope it goes away" which is the plan for the next couple of days until I get the time to look more into this stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:22 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

KenDowns wrote:
Step 1 is going to be "Just do deads and squats and hope it goes away" which is the plan for the next couple of days until I get the time to look more into this stuff.

Three simple tests for you -

1. Hold the arm that gives you pain out in front of you so it's parallel with the floor with your thumb pointing up, not straight out in front of you but about where 11 would be on a clock face (make sense?). Next, turn your thumb down to the floor and then slowly raise your hand up. Any pain?

2. Put the same arm behind your back so that the back of your hand is in contact with your lumbar spine area. Then try and bring your hand away from your back. Any pain?

3. Take the painful arm and reach across and grab your other shoulder and glasp it tight. Then, imagine there is a piece of string attached at your elbow and someone is pulling it towards the ceiling whilst you still hold onto the opposite shoulder. Can you break past parallel with the foor before you get any discomfort?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:09 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Proper Knob wrote:
KenDowns wrote:
Step 1 is going to be "Just do deads and squats and hope it goes away" which is the plan for the next couple of days until I get the time to look more into this stuff.

Three simple tests for you -

1. Hold the arm that gives you pain out in front of you so it's parallel with the floor with your thumb pointing up, not straight out in front of you but about where 11 would be on a clock face (make sense?). Next, turn your thumb down to the floor and then slowly raise your hand up. Any pain?

None at any stage, not while setting up or executing.

Proper Knob wrote:
2. Put the same arm behind your back so that the back of your hand is in contact with your lumbar spine area. Then try and bring your hand away from your back. Any pain?

Mild pain getting into position, worsens a bit when I move the hand away from my back. All in a vague area at front-top of shoulder, centered on the tip of the scapula, which still has that bruised feel.

Proper Knob wrote:
3. Take the painful arm and reach across and grab your other shoulder and glasp it tight. Then, imagine there is a piece of string attached at your elbow and someone is pulling it towards the ceiling whilst you still hold onto the opposite shoulder. Can you break past parallel with the foor before you get any discomfort?

Slight discomfort getting into position, none once I am clasping opposite shoulder. No pain while raising arm.

First method: rotated arm until it hit my forehead, felt stretch in the tricep near top, but I suppose that would be normal.

First method: raised arm upward without rotating toward forehead. No pain, but stretch in Lat which again I suppose would be normal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:41 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Number 2 is a subscapularis test. If your not getting any pain on the others than that's a good thing. My advice would be to stretch the life out of your pecs and pec minor for the next week or two. Band or broom stick dislocates, band pec stretches, of course if any of them causes you pain stop.

I get aches and pains all the time, sometimes a prolonged period of rest is all that's required.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:36 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

@Knob, just to re-iterate, the pain is very mild, not even worth an aspirin, but persistent.

With that being said, the shoulder dislocations produce immediate relief, I've been doing sets of 10 several times a day. But the effect doesn't last more than a few minutes.

Will keep going and let you know. I'm suspending Press and Bench indefinitely, but continuing with chins and rows.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:20 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

KenDowns wrote:
With that being said, the shoulder dislocations produce immediate relief, I've been doing sets of 10 several times a day. But the effect doesn't last more than a few minutes.

if you can do those you are way ahead of me in terms of mobility, pain free or not

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:15 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Situation continues to improve, I only get pain now in morning right after waking up, and not usually during the day. Will continue to avoid press, bench, and curls until all trace is gone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:14 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

fwiw, when I tweaked something in my ankle/tendon and rested, eventually, it was getting back to doing lighter, proper squats (really making sure not to cave the knees) that lead to "full" recovery. That is, if I would just do nothing for a week, the ankle would tighten up again the next time I used it for tennis or anything.
So, what I'm saying is, maybe for somethings, rehab involves doing something at some point prior to full recovery.

ymmv

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:25 am 

That's often true. Unloaded ROM, then light loads, etc. Working antagonists?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:42 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar and Doc, I had not considered that. I've never had any issue that lasted more than a few days so I'm in uncharted waters.

I suppose broomstick ROMs on Saturday for press would give me some info, maybe go as high as the empty bar. See how that goes and try the same thing on Tuesday for Bench. Will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:32 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I decided that if I couldn't do ROM with a broomstick I should be going to the doctor, not sitting around waiting for it to get better, so I tried press with a broomstick.

Felt good actually. Slight discomfort but in that working-it-out kind of way.

So today is squats, and Saturday would normally be press, I'll do an empty bar and take it slow and let you know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Haven't put my journal up for today yet, I'll get to it tomorrow, but holy cow is my back sore. 40 rows, 30 shrugs, and 75 face pulls.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:31 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Working in a real gym with a trainer was quite the experience. Today was the first real workout.

So I set a PR on Deadlift, 350, and he says, give it 30 seconds, you've got another one. So I waited and pulled it a second time. Nice thing about the bumper plates and platform is you can drop the bar. My trainer is not a big fan of negatives on deadlift.

They've just about got me convinced to compete in November, for something local they are putting together. Trainer says I could deadlift 400# by November, as he says my form is perfect and its just a matter of the accessories.

So the accessories really pounded my legs, I was staggering on the way out.

Funny thing though, I got pretty used to just whipping my shirt off in my basement, but that's kind of frowned on in the gym, some of the ladies don't like it. Well, I've never been accused of being a gentleman, but I'll go along.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:53 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

fantastic

Would you say that avoiding intense pressing for the time you did/have has helped your progression with Deadlifts?

and where do you feel the limiting factor is on your deadlifts? For me hamstrings, I think. I can break the floor and pull up but pushing hips forward is tough, and I really feel it there, really feel it.

Great progress dude.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:32 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
fantastic

Would you say that avoiding intense pressing for the time you did/have has helped your progression with Deadlifts?

I've wondered that, not really sure. One thing I am sure of is that lacking any pressing I've been able to give lower body stuff more concentration and focus, and that has to count for something. Then I think I should be able to give it that focus anyway. Overthinking I suppose. :)

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
and where do you feel the limiting factor is on your deadlifts? For me hamstrings, I think. I can break the floor and pull up but pushing hips forward is tough, and I really feel it there, really feel it.

Hmmm, never thought about it. Definitely leg drive, early on I tended to cheat and turn it into a stiff-leg deadlift to save having to lift with my legs -- and my trainer thought that accessories focusing on leg drive were definitely where he wanted to go. Hmmm, glad you asked, you've got me thinking about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next