ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jungledoc wrote:
Can you turn on different parts of a light bulb? Even just emphasize different parts?

LOL That's a good analogy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:34 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

so can nobody else do that "ab ripple" thing where you move the different parts of your ab muscles? And has no one else noticed different exercises emphasising different parts of their abs?

I must just be a mutant. The next stage in human evolution! Like Kevin Costner in Waterworld!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:23 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
so can nobody else do that "ab ripple" thing where you move the different parts of your ab muscles? And has no one else noticed different exercises emphasising different parts of their abs?

I must just be a mutant. The next stage in human evolution! Like Kevin Costner in Waterworld!

It's not likely your ab muscle that's moving. Maybe you are playing with the pressure and muscles in your abdominal cavity( Which has a upper, lower and a middle part by the way). I probably know what you are referring to, and it's not the rectus abdominis.

Altough it looks like many, the Rectus abdominis is just one long muscle. Starting from the low end of the xiphoid process (and a couple of your costal cartilages) and inserts to your pubical bone. Nothing more. That is a long muscle, and when it contracts, it pulls your pelvis toward your sternum or vice versa. You can't move anything else because there isn't anything to move. Abs don't move in and out, or sideways, Abs only shorten your torso so to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:20 pm 

haha, I know all about the muscle and what it does...

dammit I'm telling you guys I can emphasise the lower portion! I've been doing it for years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:58 pm 

I'll buy the mutant theory. I use the same explanation for several things about me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:53 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
so can nobody else do that "ab ripple" thing where you move the different parts of your ab muscles?

Yeah, I can do the, "wave," thats what my brother and I call it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are hip flexor muscles under the lower abs. You can work those independently of the abs. If you do a "lower ab" exercise you work the hip flexors along with the abs, whereas the "upper ab" exercises work only the abs and not the hip flexors. This leads to the feeling that you are emphasizing lower abs. The wave is done with internal pressure using the diaphragm, and the transverse abdominis.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:45 am 
Novice
Novice

Harpoon wrote:
from wikipedia...

Quote:
A variety of resistance exercises can be used to train the pectoralis major, including bench pressing (using dumbbells, barbells or machines at various angles such as decline, incline and flat where the hips are above, below and level with the head respectively), push ups, flyes (using dumbbells or machines at either flat or inclined angles), cable crossovers or dips. Multi-joint press exercises are better for building muscle mass, while fly and crossovers are more suited for shaping and increasing striations. This muscle is often said to consist of four portions (upper, lower, inner and outer) but the pectoralis actually contracts evenly across all heads during most exercises and as such no portion can be 'targeted'.[4]

How much of this is true?

I do incline presses because I want to buff out the upper part of my chest (pectoralis major), but if it doesn't really matter (either the muscle contracts or not), is there a point? How does this carry on to other exercises?

Look at all the people with small rear delts in relation to their front delts and the deltoids are considered one muscle. You can target different parts of a muscle because muscle has mutliple innervation points.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:01 pm 

Delts are not comparable to abs. Delts have 3 heads that all pull in different directions. A better analogy would be upper or lower biceps, or inner or outer pecs, or upper or lower thighs, etc. These are largely determined by genetics but there becomes a mythology about training them. Training muscles with multiple heads is entirely different and you can change the focus by changing the direction of the tension.

For pecs, there are 2 heads, claviclar and sternal and it is possible to preferentially recruit them. The pec minor runs underneath the outside of the pec major so I expect you could give the illusion of building the outside of the pecs by training the pec minor (dips). To build the inside pecs, stop doing dips and the inside will look bigger.

Btw, I'm not a bodybuilder and I don't give a rat's ass about this stuff.

Edit: by upper or lower biceps I meant closer or further away from the elbow. There are 2 heads (duh) plus the brachioradialis which all can be preferentially recruited.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

...and we've come full circle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:38 pm 

commodiusvicus wrote:
...and we've come full circle.

And we'll go around this circle (yawn) again in a few months. Same tired arguments, same denial of reality.

Thankfully, no one has mentioned the "peak" of the biceps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:46 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
commodiusvicus wrote:
...Thankfully, no one has mentioned the "peak" of the biceps.

I considered mentioning it. Actually a friend of mine tore his bicep and when it healed it was more peaked than before. It looks good but it doesn't look like the other one. Can't have everything I guess.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:48 pm 

He could always try to reproduce the injury on the other side! But then if it wasn't in just the right place, he'd be on here asking for exercises to move the peak.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:33 pm 

should I include some isolation in my routine? Will I recover from 3 sets of curls at the end of my Starting Strength workout?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8976314
Now what the hell. There are actually EMG studies that you can target different parts of single muscle. In this case, rectus abdominis.
On the con -side, the study is very small in terms of participants, and the whole research seems a bit simplyfied and small. But still.