ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:28 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Who else loves the biggest loser? And before someone tells me it's a pile of $h1t, you think I don't know that? I love it anyway.

Anyone else?

Anyone?

On tonight's episode they did some stupid test where they looked at the fat folk's fitness levels, then told them their "biological age" (as opposed to your chronological age). Apparently, if you're a big fat unfit blob, this makes you older than if you are a long, lean hardbody. They were all in tears getting told that they're actually 20 years older than they are. What's that all about? Is there any scientific backing for that? Seems pretty spurious to me.

Apparently they just put all the weight back on after the show too. Not suprising, there's folk losing like 20lbs in a week!

Oh god I just love it so much. A lady was in tears talking about how her mum and dad bought a chip shop when she was a kid and that made her really fat! She just couldn't resist the greasy goodness. Such good telly.

Please tell me there's someone else who watches it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:39 pm 

Do you watch the American show or is there a version produced on your side of the big water?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:49 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hahah I cant do it - I do have a sarcastic / patronising stoner side to me (did quit 4 months back though yay me) but when given so much ammo at the same time I overload and have to turn over

One of the main things I dont get is... lets say for simplicities sake you have a 30 stone guy and a 20 stone woman, then they compete to loose weight.. the 30 stone guy will annihilate the 20st woman ... even talking body mass ratio you loose it at a faster rate when you are more overweight...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:15 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

My missus makes us watch it, so I cant say I love the show, but it does make me giggle sometimes.

Whats sad about the show is the way the contestants react when in the second week they only loose 4lbs when in the first week they all loose over a stone. The look on their faces, you can tell that they feel defeated. Its like they forgot to tell them thats just the way it goes. 4lbs is 4lbs loss, not gain! Thats success, not failure.

What also gets my goat, last year one of the personal trainers 'cheated' by making her team go low carb. They lost more weight, but were punished for not following the 'diet'. She was kicked off the show, made to appologise to the world on TV. It killed her career and she commited suicide a couple of months ago! They even frown on them if they dont finish their meals! Unreal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:23 am 

@Doc - they make a UK version, it's pretty much exactly the same except the average weight of contestants is about ten stone less.

@Robert: If you were going to take up smoking again, may I suggest doing it while watching the biggest loser? Very entertaining. I like the occasional smoke, not as much as I did in my teens and early twenties but every now and then I'll get the urge and I'll buy an 8th and spend the next day or two giggling in a cloud of green smoke. Read an interview with Wendler the other day and he said "Weed's fine when you're 16. Grow up and take steroids." Thought that was pretty funny.

Rik-Blades wrote:
My missus makes us watch it, so I cant say I love the show, but it does make me giggle sometimes.

Whats sad about the show is the way the contestants react when in the second week they only loose 4lbs when in the first week they all loose over a stone. The look on their faces, you can tell that they feel defeated. Its like they forgot to tell them thats just the way it goes. 4lbs is 4lbs loss, not gain! Thats success, not failure.

What also gets my goat, last year one of the personal trainers 'cheated' by making her team go low carb. They lost more weight, but were punished for not following the 'diet'. She was kicked off the show, made to appologise to the world on TV. It killed her career and she commited suicide a couple of months ago! They even frown on them if they dont finish their meals! Unreal.

That is such a cop out! "Oh, my missus watches it so I just have to." Admit it, you love the biggest loser!

I agree with the about the second week blues. Poor little guys. 4lbs in a week is still pretty impressive! I hate to think the damage it must do to their bodies to lose the weight that fast. I wonder how many of them keep it off afterwards. Probably not many.

And yeah, that trainer getting fired was rough. She told them to eat nothing but apples and nuts. I don't really see what's wrong with that, surely they should do everything they can to lose weight? Meh, I guess it was wrong on some level but I don't see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

robertscott wrote:
That is such a cop out! "Oh, my missus watches it so I just have to." Admit it, you love the biggest loser!

Rumbled! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:00 pm 

well it was an emotional rollercoaster on the biggest loser tonight!

First, they made them do a challenge where they had to walk across a beam suspended over a swimming pool. My lord, I've never seen anything so useless. 3 participants had total emotional meltdowns! Seriously blubbering, screaming and freaking out. They were wearing lifejackets! What could've possibly gone wrong? One chick was standing on the beam for ages crying her eyes out and screaming that she couldn't do it, then she fell in the water, but get this: she swam to the side! So not only was she wearing a lifejacket - in a room full of lifeguards I should add, essentially eliminating any chance of her being in any danger whatsoever - she could swim!

And also, I don't mean to be cruel, but isn't fat buoyant?

Then, this Irish guy called Gerald was complaining that he couldn't work out because he was constipated! His girlfriend then got all upset, saying she couldn't take any more of his $h1t! Is that ironic? Sure sounds like it might be. When confronted, what did Gerald do? Well obviously he started crying. How else can you deal with your problems in reality tv land?

I should point out that Gerald did end up losing 9lbs, which is pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:51 pm 

I can't bring myself to watch it, it makes me angry. I'll quite happily read your synopsis on it on a nightly basis though, takes the cringe-factor out!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:19 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
I should point out that Gerald did end up losing 9lbs, which is pretty impressive.

On the third week, that would be a 9lb $h1t then!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:21 am 

Yeah, I was going to say that I could give him something that would take away his excuse, and take away several more pounds all at once!

Do they weigh in pounds on the British show?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:07 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
She told them to eat nothing but apples and nuts. I don't really see what's wrong with that, surely they should do everything they can to lose weight? Meh, I guess it was wrong on some level but I don't see it.

She told her team to only eat fruit and nuts the day before weigh-in which broke the rules of the competition. It is after all a competition and competitions have rules. She was cheating and got punished for it ie. she was going to take a 'back seat' on this series. She wasn't fired from the show as i understand it but unfortunately she through herself off the cliffs at Beachy Head. She had just broken up with her long term partner so i think that might have weighed heavily on her decision to end her life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:13 am 

ooh looks like Phil's come out the woodwork as a biggest loser fan! And judging by that post, I'd say a die-hard Richard Callender supporter?

@doc - they measure their starting weight in stone and lbs, but from what I've seen loss is only reported in lbs. In the UK we use the metric system for everything except bodyweight, but we divide that into stone and lbs, not just lbs like you Americanos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:09 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
ooh looks like Phil's come out the woodwork as a biggest loser fan! And judging by that post, I'd say a die-hard Richard Callender supporter?

There have been two episodes on in our flat, although i didn't choose the channel when this happened. Honest. I didn't know one of the PT's had committed suicide so i had a little look after reading this thread. My girlfriend used to live in Eastbourne so i've been up to Beachy Head numerous times, there's a Beachy Head Chaplaincy Team which drives round the headland on the lookout for people who might be looking to jump.