ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jungledoc wrote:
I'M not saying it's a cult--Oscar is just worried about me! :grin:

Oh I can see that...ahaha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:15 am 

I'm loving GUS. I think I've learned more there in the last 3 weeks than I have from all other sources in the last year. Maybe a lot of that learning is just putting things together in a new way, learning to apply things in more effective ways. I'm looking forward to the next few months of training; I think it will be lot of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:20 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

:diabloanifire: :dark1: :wav: :spam2: :book:

I had mixed reactions (to your endorsement)

TBH, I'm sure I'd like it too.
Like with online poker strategy forums in the past, you get a group think and when someone thinks differently they are shot down or corraled by the group. UNTIL someone comes in and over time demonstrates that you can win playing another style. Why are we so closed minded? By we I mean others on here, not me. :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:26 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Your power clean form is incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:37 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

neal with the assist

It's like I got rickrolled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:10 am 

Thankyou, thankyverymuch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:59 pm 

An Article I found:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... ool=pubmed
I found it from a link here:
http://bretcontreras.com/2012/01/ten-mi ... dyprogram/

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:44 pm 

Thanks, Stu. I've glanced at them now. I'll read in detail at lunchtime.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:11 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I do not understand the reason for small fluctuations in weight, other than to occupy yourself changing plates while resting. Especially that last one, the others maybe reason as a pyramid..
I think you are getting X lifts within X% of your "good enough form max for the day", (295 it turns out),, - ok, I'v answered much of my inital question...
So let me ask, how do you pick the 275.. just something less but withing 10%, and then you did 285 because "you felt like you could".. Do I sorta have it?

1x265
1x275
1x285
1x290
1x295
1x275
1x275
1x285

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:32 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

you're not fooling me into watching another video
Fool me once, buddy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:50 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

being picky and/or biased ...

some lifts lack full lock out / or maybe I'd like to see more hip extension
to me back too flat / butt too high, lose some use of the legs to help break it off the floor. But you know your strongest position, so, that's what you should go with. My back is not able to take over as much, or I dont trust it too.

As far as you back and staying tight and filling up with air, bar tracknig close/on legs and all that, looked great.
Hopefully you'll get opinions from more experts to help you. btw, you look good for a grand pappy.

Next time, give us some other angles. It sorta looks like one leg is bent less, or furthe back, but likely just the angle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:31 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Do I sorta have it?

Not sorta. You have it exactly. I "work up" to the RM. The 295 felt very heavy this session. I wasn't sure I could lift higher never mind with good dorm. 275 is convenient, just pull off the small plates, and still within the 90% of the RM. You get the target number of reps (7-8 in this case), but still keep them challenging, so you don't just go down to 90% and call it good enough. So the 7th felt pretty easy, so I went a little higher on the last rep.

I basically make the decision as to what I'm doing next during or right after the previous rep. It's the old "thinking on your feet" thing. Hard at times. Sometimes it would be a lot easier to just have prescribed reps and weights to follow.

The "working up" is more than just warm-up, but "warm-up" is the term that is most familiar to most people that is near the concept. It's more a matter of acclimation, getting used to heavy weights near where you intend to do your work sets. Plus, as I go up I have an idea about where the RM will end up, and any lifts that I do within 90% of the RM count on the target total, even if I lift them before the RM. A couple of weeks ago I was going up by larger increments, and jumped to 310, when the right RM probably should have been 300 or 305. I had some back pain, and some struggles finishing the workout. The small intervals give me the chance to "feel" and anticipate about what the RM will be.

Last edited by Jungledoc on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:40 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
to me back too flat / butt too high, lose some use of the legs to help break it off the floor.
Yep. That's what Ashiem said over on GUS as well.

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
btw, you look good for a grand pappy.
Thank you very much!
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Next time, give us some other angles.
I'll try, but there's not much room to maneuver in our gym.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:53 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

You seem to Deadlift with very high hips, your legs are nearly straigth at every rep. Not that there's nothing bad to it, everyone has their own looking technique. And at least you get your moneys worth for PC-training. Just something I noticed. I myself go a lot lower at the beginning, and the reason probably lies within the bar setting. I set the bar about mid foot, then lower till my shins hit the bar, you directly put the bar to touch your shins.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:07 am 

Regarding your 19 Jan deadlift video : I don't think you're doing anything wrong according to what I know and your grip strength is great. double overhand all the way up. nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 38  Next