ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 am 
Novice
Novice

Im confused on one small issue. If I were to say only do a 5 rep scheme, I know its good to do 5 sets. But lets say I want to do only 2 reps. Does 2 reps only need 5 sets or does it need more sets? What about 10 reps? Set ranges are the one thing that confuse me. Does anyone have an actual layout or chart for rep to set ranges?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:01 am 

confusion on this issue is ok. i have something like it too.

more info on training goals might help people give you a specific answer.

I've not seen a one size fits all set/rep chart; I also haven't seen a one size fits all training objective or plan. Sleep, eat, work is as close as i've seen so far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:16 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

that's a good question, however I don't think it's black and white enough to give a proper answer.

The way I see it is it's just kind of a guideline. You'll usually see 5x5 or 8x3 recommended, so the sweet spot would appear to be somewhere in the region of 25 reps, but I don't think it's something you need to stick to rigidly.

Say you were doing 5x5 for example, and you ramp up to a top set of 5 reps, and you hit it easier than you expected. The logical thing to do would be to attempt another set. So now, you're attempting 6x5, but you might only get 3 reps at the new weight. The way I see it, if you hit your target reps on all your sets, the weight was too light and you should go heavier next time.

I think the best way to do it is to just pick a number of reps, and just keep ramping up the weight until you can no longer hit the prescribed number of reps, regardless of how many sets it takes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:13 am 

Generally strength programs have about 25 total reps while body building programs have about 50. Power atheletes usually do less. Dan John once said that there are about 10 good reps available in a workout so get the most value out of those 10. This table was developed for weightlifters years ago but is still referred to often: http://www.angelfire.com/pe/txpls/prilephin.html

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:59 am 
Novice
Novice

I found this article while searching for the answers

http://bendo13.hubpages. com/hub/How_Many_Reps_Should_You_Do_for_Strength

but i dont think this is close to being right unless i read your chart wrong. Comparing it to your chart on angel, it seems 10 sets for 2 reps is a bit extreme right? from what i see , it says the range of reps should be up to 10. And can someone really consider a 1 rep workout a true workout? WOuld 1 rep have any benefits other than showing you your max? How about multiple sets of 1 reps? I figure 2 reps is more beneficial but i dont know anything about extreme low reps. Lowest ive ever gone is 3 after finishing 5X5 and doing 1 set of 3 .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:27 pm 

Lately I've been doing a lot of 1 rep workouts with some 2 rep back off sets. I think I'm getting stronger. My total sets including warmup is over 10.

The perliphin table is more for power atheletes (weightlifters). Doing 10 sets of 2 would likely not work for them but if strength is your goal, it be be beneficial.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

o so you do 1 rep workouts ? how is it designed? do you just lift your max over and over again? if so did your max go up the week after ? Do you try to lift maybe 5% less than your max? Im interested in these types of workouts now because I just got back from being overtrained and i dont want to jump straight into a 5X5 because I want to build up my strength to hit way more weight. Right now I really dont care about what my body will be like because I want to focus only on pure strength. SO I need a good solid low rep reccomendation because what i have so far is pretty bad I think.

Squat 7X2
Deaadlift 3X2
Dumbell Bench 5X2
Shoulder Dumbell Press 5X2
Rows 4X2

As you can see I made it simple, I feel like its too little but If im going for strength and nothing else wouldnt this be the right way to go?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

Im actually heading to try this out. Ill post on here when im done and say where im at. I might add 1 set to everything tho. Dont know yet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:26 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Immortal2 wrote:
Squat 7X2
Deaadlift 3X2
Dumbell Bench 5X2
Rows 4X2

Is this your weeks worth of main lifts or is it just one workout? Because if that's you one workout, I think you're on the wrong path. Plus, you make really weird remarks. You constantly mention that you came back from overtraining, and then your ideal workout is max intensity? I mean, that makes no sense. To me, 5x5 with lowered weights are greatly better to your nervous system and muscle fatique than one or two rep sets. I would maybe even add volume from that.

I think you should do high/very high intensity in only one or two lifts per workout. Using 1 to 3 reps in all the exercises will just burn you out. And your nervous system will not thank you yet again.

As much as I am a lower rep preferring guy, lowest amount of reps don't always mean most strength. Low rep sets are better(IMO) for strength gains, but there is no doubt more than 1-5 rep sets will get you stronger also. 1 to 3 reps per set doesn't necessarily make more strength than 3 to 6 reps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:16 pm 

Immortal2 wrote:
o so you do 1 rep workouts ? how is it designed? do you just lift your max over and over again? if so did your max go up the week after ? Do you try to lift maybe 5% less than your max? Im interested in these types of workouts now because I just got back from being overtrained and i dont want to jump straight into a 5X5 because I want to build up my strength to hit way more weight. Right now I really dont care about what my body will be like because I want to focus only on pure strength. SO I need a good solid low rep reccomendation because what i have so far is pretty bad I think.

Squat 7X2
Deaadlift 3X2
Dumbell Bench 5X2
Rows 4X2

As you can see I made it simple, I feel like its too little but If im going for strength and nothing else wouldnt this be the right way to go?

I've been playing with this: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _every_day

I haven't been at it long enough to draw any conclusions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:46 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I like the Bulgarian style.

It's annoying when you miss a rep when your doing periodization. It feels like a huge set back and you have to figure out what you did wrong... I hate that.

With the SAID principle there really is no missing reps, only workouts. There is no predetermined weight that must be lifted, you just have to lift what ever you can and hope its higher than the day before lol. Thats how I look at it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

gonna need a lot of rest time ........ that kills . whats bulgarian. and stu do you keep a journal?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:41 pm 

Immortal2 wrote:
gonna need a lot of rest time ........ that kills . whats bulgarian. and stu do you keep a journal?

The "squat every day" program is also called the Bulgarian method. Yes my journal is posted. I've only been doing it for four weeks, not long enough to see any progress.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

squat everyday????????? that sounds a bit uhhhh a bit extreme? im assuming eachd ay is a different intensity right? Ill research it right now actually just finished hw.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:56 pm 

Each day works up to a max single, then a few heavy back off sets. It's unconventional and I'll probably injure myself. I usually finish it with push presses or farmers walks.