ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:34 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Notwhithstanding the opinion that I try to get too much variety into a week, I am considering grouping a couple pairs of exercsies to cut time. My sessions take too long for my life's other pleasures. I don't mind, but I also like to sleep
I call it Para-setting (after parasite) because one exercise is main and the other is more "hey while we're already here.. lets work this in"

Tues (T) is lower body focused day, while Thurs (R) and Sat (S) will be Full body (Monday is upper only)

Code:
                    T     R     S

High Pull -> Dead                X
Squat                M           V
Step Up                    X   
Rack Pull -> Shrug   X      
Good Morning               X   
Glute Thrust         X                    

I want to keep all these movements.
So I thought to use high Pulls for DL warm ups. I'm not HighPulling big weights yet.
Then, I thought to use Shrugs after Rack Pulls. I would tailor the volume on the High Pulls and Shrugs accordingly, or alternate weeks, where I do less Rack Pulls, more Shrugs, etc.

Also, feel free to comment on the balance of the leg/glute work. nygmen stressed Shrugs for me because of my problems with RDL failing at the grip/upper body, among other reasons. I"m not so much into them for the BB'ing. FWIW, I may very well go to alternating RackPulls and DL, but I for now would like to try them in the same week. Everything else here, I do now, just not grouped this way.

thanks!

My goals are 80% get stronger on all compound lifts, and 15% look stronger,

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:52 pm 

Oscar, keep in mind that I work in a very different weight regime, with that said...

Never pair anything with Deadlifts or squats. This includes things like rack pulls for deadlift (though not neccessarily for lighter DL or squat work)

Dont super set, dont paralift, just don't. If you aren't gasping for breath, trying to stay upright (or concious) between sets of Deadlift, heavy deadlift partials (like rack pulls), or squats then you're using too low a weight or doing too few reps.

Much like shoulders benefit from high rep, relatively lower weight work, Deadlift especially benefits from very high weight, low rep work. Squat can go either way, but even moderate weight done for enough reps should be so taxing that you wont realistically get anything out of adding another exercise. If you do add one, especially one that shares muscle groups or movement patterns with the main lift you'll end up shortchanging both lifts.

You might get away with supersetting an upper body movement with squats, I've done it before with up to moderate weight, but the upper body movement needs to be relatively low intensity. And with heavy squats... I really wouldn't recommend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:01 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

to be clear, I'm not alternating.

Take Saturday, I would start with High Pulls, low weight and work up to something light relative to my Deadlift. Then pick up with Deadlifts, and ramp to maybe 3x3 working sets of increasing weight.
Then, do some other stuff, maybe Press + Pull Downs, maybe some Pallof Press, then end with Squats, 5x8. That has worked well. The only diff is instead on using Squats or lighter Deadlifts for inital warm ups, I'll do some High Pulls, (mainly for the Speed work)

On Tuesday I'll start with Squat, maybe intersetting with Planks or DB Curls. Then after all done with Squats do Rack Pulls (I may actually do these on Upper day actually), and at the end of Rack Pulls, finish off with a set or two of Shrugs...heck the bar is already there and loaded. It takes me too long just puting on weights and warming up. The Rack Pulls will not be 120% of my DL 1RM, but something I can do 5-8 reps. More of Upper Back volume, than DL Lockout practice. Grip work bonus.

As long as I monitor the total load, I picture this as a pretty normal template where I just piggy back a movement

your input is appreciated and will be logged

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:02 pm 

Ah... essentially warming up with a related lift. That works great if you go low weight, explosive movements. The trick is not to "pre-fatigue" the main working muscles for the heavy work. Being able to do this requires a lot of experimentation and experience. I've played with warming up for deadlifts with power cleans... sometimes it works a treat, sometimes it fries my forearms so my grip gives out before anything else when I get to the deadlift. Yes, that's what straps were made for, but I like to go as long as possible without them.

Also... rack pulls, in my book, are best done heavy, heavy, heavy. Someone else might be able to enumerate the benefits of doing lighter weight/more reps on these, but I have no info there.