ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 am 

Jason Nunn wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
I train with occasional on-line coaching from someone who has no formal certification, he just knows tons about strength.

Ok, now I'm curious.

I post on GUS.com. I've gotten a lot of help from Eric Troy there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 am 
n00b
n00b

Jungledoc wrote:
OK, sorry all around.
Since you ask, I train in a tin shack in the jungle. I train with occasional on-line coaching from someone who has no formal certification, he just knows tons about strength. Other than that, I'm my trainer. I have some certifications, but none that you would recognize! :)

No worries. My point with this thread was just to see if anyone had dealt with Smartfitness for good or for bad and so far, no one seems to have or know anyone who has is my take from it.

......a literal tin shack? or just a really small gym? I'm assuming the location of Papa New Guinea is literal?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 am 

Jay30384 wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
OK, sorry all around.
Since you ask, I train in a tin shack in the jungle. I train with occasional on-line coaching from someone who has no formal certification, he just knows tons about strength. Other than that, I'm my trainer. I have some certifications, but none that you would recognize! :)

No worries. My point with this thread was just to see if anyone had dealt with Smartfitness for good or for bad and so far, no one seems to have or know anyone who has is my take from it.

......a literal tin shack? or just a really small gym? I'm assuming the location of Papa New Guinea is literal?

He has a video of his gym on youtube somewhere. He's exagerating when he calls it a tin shack but it is austere.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:29 am 

stuward wrote:
Jay30384 wrote:

He has a video of his gym on youtube somewhere. He's exagerating when he calls it a tin shack but it is austere.

It is made mostly of corrugated steel, which looks a bit like tin, although it is a different metal altogether.

Yes, pedantic suits me just fine, thankyouverymuch. And, speaking of pedantic, it's "Papua", not "Papa". And yes, the location is very literal. No... make that just literal. Literal is not scalar, and cannot properly be modified by such comparative adjectives as "very"; it is either literal or it is not. In this case it is.[/pedantic]

The video is mentioned somewhere on this forum within the last year. Youtube is now blocked on our little network (a sort of tin network, if you know what I mean), so I can't look it up there. My name on Youtube is "Andyboy Bennett". I think. Or maybe "Andy Boy Bennett".

This may be it, but since I can't access it myself, I don't know for sure. It's something.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/mXCVk580fSc?[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:12 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
The video is mentioned somewhere on this forum within the last year. Youtube is now blocked on our little network (a sort of tin network, if you know what I mean), so I can't look it up there. My name on Youtube is "Andyboy Bennett". I think. Or maybe "Andy Boy Bennett".

It seems to be the right video. Includes "Nazarene Hospital." The cameraman sounds like a pedantic, perspicacious Papau New Guinean.
Jungledoc wrote:
Yes, pedantic suits me just fine, thankyouverymuch. And, speaking of pedantic, it's "Papua", not "Papa". And yes, the location is very literal.

I have a client who grew up in Papau New Guinea, his folks were missionaries at the time. As for literal (and literal alliterations), back in the office drone days, I used to work with someone who said "literally" before every single exaggeration. Drove me up the gee dee wall.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You just put the regular link between the youtube tags. The BBcode does the rest.

If it's a DNS ban, use these IPs.
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.134
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.129
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.137
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.132
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.142
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.131
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.130
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.128
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.135
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.136
youtube.com. 300 IN A 74.125.227.133

IE http://74.125.227.134

Or you can also change your DNS to these name servers from opendns.org
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

If it's IP based, the easiest way is to browse through an open proxy server. That, by the way, is how you can view content that is blocked in your country due to lack of copyright agreement. You just go through a proxy from a country that does have a copyright agreement.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

People with hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia are not going to be liking this forum lately. But that's alright, they probably don't like the name of their problem either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:24 pm 

IM, I don't know how to do those things. I clicked the IP that you linked and got Google. I entered youtube into that, and just got the "OpenDNS" page informing me that it is blocked.

The reason it's blocked is because of severe bandwidth limitation on our network. About 30 users are shareing a VSAT uplink at, I don't remember, but it's like dial-up was for me in the US in the early 90s. So all non-essential uses are blocked, I believe by a firewall. So I wouldn't want to "go around" this very often. There has been some talk that restrictions can be lifted at night, for those of us willing to stay up late.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, yea in that case don't circumvent it. You need to conserve your bandwidth. It's probably 128k, which is a little more than double a dial up connection. For 30 users, I would probably restrict it at least that much if not more. I would have a web caching proxy and a DNS server with caching also.