ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 pm 

If you can do 10 or more reps on your final sets, you could use larger increases a few times.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:59 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I'm going for it. Rumour has it if I do 3 workouts a week, I can skip the dload - since it's going to take me 12 weeks just to do 3 cycles. I may cheat a tad, so my 5 Reps are at 177.
Main reasons for changing:

Full Body taking me a bit too long, as I also do abs, and either Bis/Tris/Delts, along with 4 main compund lifts. With rest, and my slow butt, taking too mcuh of my time.
Weights getting near my limits
I'm ready for a professional's scheme for periodization (mine was ok..sorta)
I need persmission to do less - this program grants that (albeit lots of volume on assistance)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:36 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Did 9 reps at 166.
So, ya know, I'll just stick to the program Max at least for one full round, maybe go up 15-20 lbs next round on Squat. I am committing to this clong term though. I'd really like to squat my weight for reps by year end. Lowering weight may also work well with a cut in calories (?) I know I had trouble playing near my maxes with a cut before.

Assistance wa Hypers and BB Hip Thrust. I suck at Hypers. I should get better.
Threw in some Curls and Pallof Press

Took about 40 minutes less than normal sessions, so that was awersome

Alright, that's all. I don't plan on making this a log thread.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:44 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If you're going to do it, which it seems you are, i'd strongly suggest buying the e-book and reading through it, and also have a read of this -

http://www.jimwendler.com/category/blog/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:55 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

thank you Pk for that link

If I get other higher priority commitments going, I'll get that book. Right now, I'm already putting too much ahead of more important stuff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:19 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Did 9 reps at 166. So, ya know, I'll just stick to the program Max at least for one full round, maybe go up 15-20 lbs next round on Squat.

I wouldn't bother increasing the weight more than the recommended 10lbs, putting it up more serves no other purpose than satisfying your ego. I've done it and wished i hadn't, as i said to you Bob in his log all you're doing is bringing the point of stalling further forward. Your goal next time round will be to get 9 reps at 176lbs or whatever the nearest round up is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:22 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I listened to the advice and just went up 10/5 lbs on lower/upper. Some heavy dbls seems to indicate that I was indeed getting stronger, even though I am working lighter more often than I was under my homeade plans.

I skipped the 1st round deload but am taing it this time, and plan to take them going forward.

I am fortunate to have a lot of flexibility in scheduling and have decided for the next cycle to go every other day, instead of 4 days/week. Then for the deloads, I'll combine Squats/Bench and Deadlift/Press, this will make it a 28 day cycle, too. By taking 8 days per each of the 3 main rounds, always resting 48hr, and hving 4 days between same muscle groups, I think a 4 day deload week will work well. We'll see. Also, the 4 days a week while easier with Upper/Lower because you can put 2 or even 3 days together if you need to catch up, I still feel pressure to stay in line with WO A on Saturday, WO B on Sunday, WO C on Tuesday, WO D on Thursday. With the every other day, all days are created equal. Plus, I can always take an extra day if necessary or dbl up to stay on track. One big plus to Upper/Lower (bet Robert_S already knew that)

ok back to watching Man on the Moon. Great movie