ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upper Pectorals!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi guys, I'm looking for the best couple of exercises for the working the upper pectorals, with little, or without working the lower part of the pectorals....

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Upper Pectorals!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:47 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Why?
It's still the same muscle. It's two heads insert to the same spot. Practically the muscles function is the same.

Okay, reasons aside. The upper pectoralis origins from the clavicle, the lower parts come from sternum and abdominal. It inserts to the arm.
Main functions include the inner rotation, adduction and flexion of the humerus.
If we are looking this stuff logically, to activate the upper pec you want to think incline. When the resistance is moved in an angle that the clavicular head controls, aka in slight incline or even a bigger one, you get activation.

Incline presses, flies, decline push-ups. You name it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

Overhead presses recruit the clavicular head as a synergist but don't involve the sternal head at all

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:01 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

anything done on an incline. You won't be able to completely take the sternal head out of the equation but an incline'll emphasise the upper part.

Very important not to let your upper chest lag behind your lower chest from a physique point of view. A lot of bodybuilders actually do ALL their chest work on an incline. However, there's no sense trying to remove the lower portion because 1) your pecs don't work that way and 2) a lagging lower chest won't look good either.

If you use too steep an incline, that'll turn it into more of a shoulder move. About 30 degrees is fine.

If you're concerned about your pecs looking "droopy" it's most likely due to carrying excess bodyfat than because your lower chest is overdeveloped. I'd stake my house on it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:36 pm 

If my pecs didn't look droopy, they'd look really out of place with the rest of my body.