ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kibe69's hip problems
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:19 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hey guys i've been having serious hip pain in my squatting lately :( it will build up when i start to warm up and will go away after i just force myself to through it and add weight( stupid well i am :smile: )

Ill explain a bit. So when i take a empty bar it seems my right side is going WAY deeper than left side and the pain is in right front of hip and side. After i started experiencing disturbing amounts of this pain i started adding Alot more different stretches but there seems to be only minor/momentary pain relief... Foam rolling also seems to have similar effect i was a bit disappointed :( One weird one also is that when i stretch my right side hip everything seems "loose" i have to go deeper than with my healthy left side :eek: sign of weakness? But in what ? This problem is giving me a headache...
For example hip flexor stretch my problematic right side goes so much further than my left.

So did i understand correctly i should avoid gluteus maximus stretch and what else? Which ones should i avoid and which ones should i focus? Also i thought adduction(pushing legs together) was one i need to strengthen but i guess i didnt know what i was doing... So i should start abductions (pushing legs away from each other) and forget adduction?

My squat is about 5-10cm wider than shoulders and going more narrower will make my back bend way before paraller. Trying to stretch everything to go deeper but im just so stiff naturally...
Oh and btw just lifting my right leg up causes slight pain in hip and more when i move it further away from other leg. Deadlifting causes no pain what so ever... :eek:
Im way over my head in this hip problem so if anyone could hammer it to my head what i need to do :lol:

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Hip Imbalances
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:57 pm 

The commonly tight structures that act on the hip are the hip flexors (quads and illiopsoas), adductors, piriformis, and IT band. Commonly weak structures are glutes, hamstrings (note: a lot of perceived hamstring tightness is caused by an anterior pelvic tilt) and abductors. Stretch tight, strengthen weak. Don't stretch weak muscles.

A squat is a triple extension movement; poor depth can come from the hips, the ankles, and much more uncommonly the knees.

The best mobility work you can do is a loaded, full range movement. Your best bet might be to choose a weight you can lift with good depth, even if it is lighter than you'd like, and work on it.

Or maybe you should go to a sports doctor, a chiro, or a physio and get properly looked at WHENEVER you're in disturbing amounts of pain from exercise, instead of asking random people on the Internet who may or may not be the experts they seem like!

I'm going to go with that last one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:30 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

How's your hip mobility? You shouldn't probably do loaded squats if your hips movement capability is poor, even if it's limited from one side. Hipflexor stretches could also do the job.
Best way to check your squat/hip mobility is doing wall squats. The point is to squat as low as possible, as close to the wall as possible, without losing good squatting form. There are more points to consider, but I just leave this video as a demonstration, because one tape is better than half a page of instructions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... NELZKigUk#!

Also, box squats to asses the problem. Start from heights your hip doesn't hurt, and progress lower from that on. If it hurts all the time, try the lighter goblet box squat variation, or unloaded box squats.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:53 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I do have anterior pelvic tilt...

Ok so heres the plan:

1. One week off + massage specialized for people who exercise
2. strengthening abductors
3. deep squat starting with just barbell?
4. Zero or some stretching for hamstrings and glutes
5. Stretch quads, hip flexor more
6. Stretch tighter side of hip?

I can lift alot from full depth it just makes my hip hurt so much which is one of the reasons i stopped going fully down im now doing just below paraller
If i went to doctor they would say take 2 weeks off and start light(the usual for everything). I dont have money to go to people who know their stuff...

So far i've been doing illopsias/hip flexor stretches, quad stretches, glute stretches, hamstring stretches often 1-3 times a day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 pm 

I'd still recommend seeing a professional who can properly diagnose it if it's that painful.

Barring that, give Eric Cressey's Neanderthal No More program a whirl. It might help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:59 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

kibe69 wrote:
I do have anterior pelvic tilt...

Ok so heres the plan:

1. One week off + massage specialized for people who exercise
2. strengthening abductors
3. deep squat starting with just barbell?
4. Zero or some stretching for hamstrings and glutes
5. Stretch quads, hip flexor more
6. Stretch tighter side of hip?

I can lift alot from full depth it just makes my hip hurt so much which is one of the reasons i stopped going fully down im now doing just below paraller
If i went to doctor they would say take 2 weeks off and start light(the usual for everything). I dont have money to go to people who know their stuff...

So far i've been doing illopsias/hip flexor stretches, quad stretches, glute stretches, hamstring stretches often 1-3 times a day.

it's not just a matter of stretching the tight muscles, you've also got to strengthen the weak ones. Toughen up your glutes and abs (bridges and planks)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:07 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
it's not just a matter of stretching the tight muscles, you've also got to strengthen the weak ones. Toughen up your glutes and abs (bridges and planks)
You gotta be careful with planks tho. Wrong and incorrect form will only enhance anterior pelvic tilt. Eric Cressey has recommended reversed crunches to treat excessive lumbar extensions. Rollouts could also do the work.
Check the article:
http://www.ericcressey.com/tag/diagnosi ... t-syndroms

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:14 pm 

rollouts'll be far too advanced.

I said to do planks assuming the guy would know I was meaning for him do them right. In fact, every time I tell someone to do an exercise I expect them to realise I mean for them to do it properly...

;)

(that's the first time I've ever typed a winky face, I hope you appreciate the significance)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:27 am 

Hey. Clear thread hijack here. This was about comodiusviscus' shoulder issues, now it's about kibe69's. I'll use my magic powers to make a new thread.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:38 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Yeah sorry about that :) next time ill make my own thread if its my problem that is discussed

Anyways managed to ramp up my squat to 155kgx1 week ago and deadlifted 180kgx3 and 190kgx1 just 4 days before that. Was about to go do personal record for deadlift last saturday but damn feverish flu hit me so havent been able to anything for now. Im hopeful that ill be done with it before weekend and can start new cycle next week. Im gonna take squat away for month atleast and focus on just deadlifting + serious butt assistance work :)
Btw squat has improved 15kg and deadlift around 20kg in 2 months time even though i have dieted down 12kg already in that time :cool:

Squatting is just too painful at the moment cant even think about it... Did some major stretching today and the pain was brought up with just bodyweight squatting. Wider the stance more pain, narrower less pain. Squatting groing stretch is giving nasty pain near hip joint but is passes soon after i rise up(shrugs, normal i guess?) and stretching quads and pressing stretched leg against something like table or chair while reaching down feels like theres something incredible tight there which doesnt happen in regular standing quad stretch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:58 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Had another massage on monday he said my hip seemed fine and today i tested if can squat pain free. Pain was brought on with just barbell, stretching in between sets helped alot but its like before i stopped at 120kgx5 pain wasnt as bad as 3 weeks ago but its still not healthy in anyway and i lack alot strength because of it. Squatting will be out of the question for a long time i guess :sad:
Another thing noted by my massage therapist was very tight hamstrings. They need alot of stretching it was like someone was turning a knife in there when i got massaged...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:09 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Squat without the barbell. BW squats as low as you can. Using the box squat method would work your hips more. Squat lots and make it pain free. If it doesn't let you go low, don't go low. When you can squat low, take a DB and perform Goblet Squats. As low as possible again, maybe with a box too if you like. After that you could consider taking the barbell along if it lets you. If not, you could try anteriorly loaded squats with stuff like two kettlebells. When progressing to barbells, once again, squat high first. Possibly to a box. Then progress lower.

SMR -Work on hamstrings too. Soft tissue work with foam or tennis balls. Lot's. Also on the glutes and back.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:02 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I've been mainly deadlifting for long time now. Hamstrings have started to even out a bit and left side of middle back doesnt get sore as often as it used to. Ive done some light dumbbell lunges after deadlifting and sometimes leg press since these dont cause pain.

Today i tried front squat and back squat with light weights and i had no pain but the problem is there i think when i squat down my right hip goes deeper not as far as it did but anyway its clearly visible(even if i limit to paraller the right side is a bit lower than left). More unilateral work to balance out ?
Deadlifting twice a week has balanced out some of my muscles but it seems to be mostly hamstrings i never get any feeling/soreness in my glutes, its like hamstrings are doing all the work and hams get tight as hell. Lunges and leg press(w/e leg position) seems to hit my glutes hard.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:18 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Now im 100% sure its any leg pressing movement, squat, leg press that gives me back pain and some how makes my right leg hamstring alot tighter than left leg. I dont have hip pain anymore but it would be just a matter time if i'd start doing any pressing movement regulary. I was wrong about it getting better as yesterday when i did some light leg pressing first with wider stance than i tried narrow then i noticed that difference at where my right knee was compared to left is about the length of my fist... not good. That is just far from normal and i had none of those problems last year. If only i had camera with me then i could show how big the difference is.

So the glute activation exercises should i do them before deadlifting or after ? I mean should i do them after deadlift and bang the hell out of my glutes or just do some work before deadlifting.

I can hardly feel anything happening in glutes while doing deadlifting/good mornings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Im good now. Boy it took some time but finally i can squat. Single leg dl/squat, hip abduction and glute activation these are what im doing every time as assistance for squat and deadlift. Any movement seems good for glute-activation but glute bridge is superior ofcourse. Anyway hope this helps other people too.